Dragonball Movie 2 and 3 Redub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Krillin1994
Regular

Dragonball Movie 2 and 3 Redub

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:53 am

I'm aware that these movies had some of the funi cast that have stayed around, but the Goku voices seem so dire and also disjarring considering we have a different Goku for each of the first four DB movies now.

Has funimation ever made any hints that they may Redub these two films. Because they are both far more interesting than the retellings of goku meeting bulma. (1&4)

With the more accurate translations and experienced voice actors, it'd really be a treat to have them redone.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragonball Movie 2 and 3 Redub

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:41 am

Sure, while it'd be nice to have a more professional and consistent dub for Movies 2 & 3, dubbing costs money; and apparently enough money that FUNi isn't willing to spend on something that doesn't have a "Z" in the title.

I say, if you want a consistent voice cast, script, and performances, select the Japanese audio track on the DVDs; you won't regret it.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:19 am

Then why Redub movie 1?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:22 am

Movie 1 never had an uncut dub that they could line up with an unedited video track (which also allows them to release it with both audio tracks). A proper DVD release required a redub.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:32 am

Pretty much our last chance for re-dubs of those movies to be more consistent sadly went out the window after the re-release of all four movies in a pack, after the re-release of movie 1. And even then, I don't think it would have been wholly consistent - they would have either re-dubbed all the movies using the newer cast as established by the Kai dub, such as Clinkenbeard as Goku and Rial as Bulma, and thus been inconsistent with the main DB series itself, or they would have just re-dubbed movies 2 and 3 as such, and left movie 4 as the sole film with the same dub cast as the show. Between the two, I'm partial to option 2 - at least then the original three movies, which flow off of each other more-so than any other DB film, would have a consistent cast.

I do agree though that those two movies are the ones most in need of a new dub. Especially movie 2. Mike McFarland and Chris Sabat got their starts there, even before doing DBZ if I recall, but oh man does it show. They are nowhere near where they would grow to be as actors as time went on. Even worse, the actress who played Bulma in movie 2 is...yeesh. It's just...bad. I've also never been much of a fan of the original FUNi dub's Dende actress being Goku as well. She was fine for Dende, but lacks the right kind of energy for Goku. About the only performance I'm okay with in movie 2 is Laurie Steele's Krillin, which oddly doesn't sound much different from how she'd later perform him in the series proper. Movie 3 comes off much better in comparison, IMO at least, albeit still having a lackluster Goku, and I seem to recall Arale sounding worse than she did in the series even. I admit I'm picky there though, about the only English Arale voice I've thought hit the mark was Brina Palencia in the games.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:50 am

I believe Movie 2 was Funimation's first in-house dub EVER, before even Season 3. It's definitely rough, to say the least.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:36 pm

Both dubs (especially "Devil's Castle") serve as neat time capsules for those who like to track FUNimation's history. But aside from that, they're completely archaic and I'm amazed that they weren't redubbed back when they were working on the original television series or recording that "revised dialogue" for the DBZ season sets. Both seemed like perfect times (especially the latter, where it really hit home that they were trying to be as consistent as possible). If they didn't care back then, I have serious doubts they'll care in the future. And even if they did, they've missed their chance to stay consistent with Brice Armstrong (who has since retired) or Stephanie Nadolny and Tiffany Vollmer (who were let go).

It still amazes me that, with all FUNI's done with the franchise this past decade, we still have four different Dragon Ball movies with three different Kid Goku voice actors.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:44 pm

I would love Funimation to go back and redub their older material to be Kai standard.

Sadly it doesn't seem like a financially feasible idea, if Funimation won't take the risk with Z movies (when Z is their biggest seller) they won't do DB.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:06 pm

I don't think they will ever do it. And if they do, it wouldn't be for LOOONG time. Personally, I don't care since I don't watch the show dubbed. But all I have to say is this:

IF THEY REDUB MOVIE 3, TULLECE HAS TO BE PLAYED BY SCHEMMEL!
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:37 pm

It's DB Movie 2 and 3 being discussed, not DBZ Movie 2 and 3. The last thing DBZ Movie 3 needs is another redub, considering how it has the most dubs that can be easily found (Saban, Pioneer, Speedy, In-House Funi, AB Groupe) (Easily found excludes stuff like Phillipine DBZ Movie 5/6, which is very hard to find and can only be found online; DB Movies 1/3, which while not being anywhere near as hard to find is still only found online, and stuff like Animax dubs, Ocean Kai, that can't be found *anywhere*)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.