Can Kikuchi be Confused with Faulconer?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here

Can Kikuchi be Confused with Faulconer?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Because this one fan I saw on Youtube praised the Faulconer music...of Bora's death, so the Kikuchi score plays instead. I was enraged...until I realized that he liked the Kikuchi score just fine, even if he confused it with a Faulconer track. So I guess people CAN enjoy the Kikuchi score even if they Faulconer fans! That makes me sooooo happy.
MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 pm
It's ill-fitting for me. Dragon Ball is not a bedtime story. And "laid-back old man" is not how I would describe Yanami's narrator. To me he sounds like the kind of uncle that shows up to the birthday party with loads of fruit punch soda and stuffs himself with pizza and ice cream, or takes you out on his boat at the lake in the summer and goes skinny dipping or something.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Re: Can Kikuchi be Confused with Faulconer?

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:50 pm

1. Why would an innocuous mistake enrage you?

2. What gave you the impression that Kikuchi/Faulconer's score can't be appreciated by the same person?

3. I wouldn't imagine it'd be possible since Kikuchi and Faulconer have distinct styles but in the case of the fan that you found, I suppose it is possible.

Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:55 pm

I didnt realize it was a innocous mistake until I thought about it some more. I love that guy now. But yeah, my bad.

Its just that they seem to be rude and assured of their superiority. I know a Faulconer fan can come to enjoy the Kikuchi score but this was quite weird of a situation. I'm quite happy about it.
MyVisionity wrote:
It's ill-fitting for me. Dragon Ball is not a bedtime story. And "laid-back old man" is not how I would describe Yanami's narrator. To me he sounds like the kind of uncle that shows up to the birthday party with loads of fruit punch soda and stuffs himself with pizza and ice cream, or takes you out on his boat at the lake in the summer and goes skinny dipping or something.
90sDBZ wrote:
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:19 pm

I guess it depends on the fan's exposure to both soundtracks. With Kikuchi you get a lot of moments of silence, but Faulconer's score always plays in the background, so maybe it would be the case if this fan hadn't heard a great deal of Kikuchi and just rewatched a death scene and unbeknownst to him it was with Kikuchi's music, but with a scene that had more music. This particular case is a little confusing because Bora died in the original Dragon Ball, which didn't have Faulconer.

But absolutely a person can enjoy both scores. When people debate over whether someone can enjoy one thing and not another you get into the debacle of music snobbery (which I hate). I have a vast appreciation of many different types of music and I enjoy both Kikuchi and Faulconer (although I prefer the former by a long shot, not to day the latter isn't good too), as can any other fan.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- any of the Bridge Ent DVDs containing the Big Green dubs

If interested PM with offers

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:33 pm

I enjoy both scores, but I don't see how they could be confused for one another. They sound nothing alike.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Zephyr wrote:I enjoy both scores, but I don't see how they could be confused for one another. They sound nothing alike.
Maybe someone who grew up on the FUNi dub and Faulconer's score might see the series again but with Kikuichi's score instead and assumed that the composer switched up his style?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:49 pm

Zephyr wrote:They sound nothing alike.
They really don't. Their styles are so different. Just listening to a few seconds of either Kikuchi or Faulconer Productions, and you can immediately tell the difference.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:56 pm

Some fans of the show don't know or care too much about the "real world" side of Dragon Ball like Directors, Voice Actors, Composers, etc. He probably thinks all music from Dragon Ball in English is by Faulconer. They are two VERY distinct styles.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Because this one fan I saw on Youtube praised the Faulconer music...of Bora's death, so the Kikuchi score plays instead. I was enraged...until I realized that he liked the Kikuchi score just fine, even if he confused it with a Faulconer track. So I guess people CAN enjoy the Kikuchi score even if they Faulconer fans! That makes me sooooo happy.
It took you till just now to realize people can enjoy both?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:49 pm

No way in hell could Kikuchi be confused with Faulconer. The soundtracks couldn't sound any more different and distinct from each other. I mean, right off the bat, anyone with a good ear could tell that Kikuchi's OST is done with a live orchestra and that Faulconer's OST is 100% synthesised.

Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:50 pm

Nonono, I meant to say that for them its no difference, They love the music even if he is mistaken about the composer. That makes me happy.
MyVisionity wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:27 pm

Honestly some of their music during the Buu saga is kind of similar. I know better now, but when I was a newer fan I used to mistake some of their scores during that part of the series more than once.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

MetaMoss
Regular

Post by MetaMoss » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:53 pm

MadSaiyantist wrote:Some fans of the show don't know or care too much about the "real world" side of Dragon Ball like Directors, Voice Actors, Composers, etc. He probably thinks all music from Dragon Ball in English is by Faulconer. They are two VERY distinct styles.
I think this is our answer. It's pretty well known in the English fandom that Faulconer was responsible for "DBZ's awesome music", so this fan probably assumed he was also responsible for all the music in Dragon Ball. It's also possible that, since this is a Youtube comment section we're discussing here, said commenter was trolling.
Do me a favor and just pretend there's something cool or witty or profound down here.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:No way in hell could Kikuchi be confused with Faulconer. The soundtracks couldn't sound any more different and distinct from each other. I mean, right off the bat, anyone with a good ear could tell that Kikuchi's OST is done with a live orchestra and that Faulconer's OST is 100% synthesised.
I always love your comments about Faulconer music. They make my day.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:11 pm

I can picture them bringing in Faulconer and he's like, "Okay, so what instruments do I have to use?" "Here you go, Brucie." *Hand him a kid's keyboard they bought at Toys R' Us.* "That's all that the budget can afford. Go make magic happen."

I'll say that I enjoy the more "epic" and important Faulconer themes, but the bouncy poppy in-between music is really annoying. The Kikuchi score was very well done. I just wish maybe there was more variety in the themes. When it switched for episode 200, I loved it just because it was something different.

Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:39 pm

I just saw something interesting. Its the credits for Season 3 of Funi DBZ. And it says "Original Music by Bruce Faulconer" and "Music Background by Shunsuke Kikuchi". Granted IT IS the original NEW Music for the dub and Kikuchi is credited under the "Original Japanese Production" section. But boy, not even One Piece said the new shitty dub music was the "Original".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMVwX358LvU

Here's the credits for the Brazilian 4kids DVD's. And yes, its the original Memories ending, but its only there to fool idiots into thinking the DVD's are uncut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH6e6Fl-Uxg
MyVisionity wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:42 pm

In that case, "original" wasn't referring to the fact that it came first, but that it was a wholly-new production, separate from the Japanese score. It was "original", not "the original".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:42 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I just saw something interesting. Its the credits for Season 3 of Funi DBZ. And it says "Original Music by Bruce Faulconer" and "Music Background by Shunsuke Kikuchi". Granted IT IS the original NEW Music for the dub and Kikuchi is credited under the "Original Japanese Production" section. But boy, not even One Piece said the new shitty dub music was the "Original".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMVwX358LvU

Here's the credits for the Brazilian 4kids DVD's. And yes, its the original Memories ending, but its only there to fool idiots into thinking the DVD's are uncut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH6e6Fl-Uxg
It's possible that the use of "original" in reference to the Faulconer music is using the "different from the old stuff" definition. There is more than one meaning for the word, and both definitions are used all the time with regards to music.

Edit: Dammit Mike.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:48 pm

I know, I know, I said so in my post, but I'm glad to be reassured!
MyVisionity wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:52 pm

If you knew what they meant, then why are you going on about Funimation calling it "original?"
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"