Will Brexit affect DB (Anime) releases in UK/US?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Will Brexit affect DB (Anime) releases in UK/US?

Post by coola » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:28 pm

Without going too far into politics, will Brexit affect all future anime/DB releases? From what i've read here, it might http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerm ... 27/.103671 I feel sorry for GB people, if they really quit, i fear for civil war :cry: (London, North Ireland, Scotland want to seperate)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Will Brexit affect DB (Anime) releases in UK/US?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 pm

THANK YOU COOLA! I really wanted to make a thread like this. The UK could be majorly screwed by this.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:49 pm

For the record, I voted for "Remain". :)

In all seriousness, in the long run, I don't this affecting how UK receives or handles the distribution of it all that immensely. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't feeling worried. I think the worst case scenario is that the price of anime from those in the UK will just increase. But as the article has point out, the referendum has passed, Britain has not exited the EU yet, and there's a chance still that it may not happen. So I think it's best to see how this "Brexit" bullocks plays out then to start panicking.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:57 pm

coola wrote:Without going too far into politics, will Brexit affect all future anime/DB releases? From what i've read here, it might http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerm ... 27/.103671 I feel sorry for GB people, if they really quit, i fear for civil war :cry: (London, North Ireland, Scotland want to seperate)
I don't think that will be much of a problem. Maybe some renegotiating regarding the current distribution deals and rights. Maybe some price increase.

And obviously no civil war will happen. If scotland and n. Ireland want to quit the union, they will just do a referendum and then quit the union if the result is yes, just like a few years ago when Scotland voted on the issue. No one in the uk will want a war over that (and london wanting separation is more of a joke than a serious idea).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:06 pm

Don't all of you watch Super online? Why would this even matter?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:19 pm

precita wrote:Don't all of you watch Super online? Why would this even matter?
Because there are fans who want to eventually buy the series on Blu Ray/DVD.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:35 pm

I don't think it will directly affect the franchise marketing considering that now they have no relationship with AB Groupe. They just keep importing the products from the US and Australia.

Brexit DID affect my wallet, though. :lol: Japanese yen has become much more expensive and now I'm buying a lot of foreign home video releases.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:01 pm

NO, NO & NO.

This whole Brexit situation is being blown way out of proportion thanks mostly to the far left media.

The world isn't going to end, The UK isn't going to fall apart, people aren't going to starve to death &There isn't going to be a civil war.

It's a major change so you're going to see some government changes in the next few months but after that everything will go back to normal.
Lord Beerus wrote:I would be lying if I said I wasn't feeling worried.
A destroyer worried about destruction ? I think it's time for Zeno to start thinking about your replacement. :lol:

People and especially the far left media are making the UK seem like this weak country that's going to crumble which couldn't be further from the truth so you don't have anything to worry about.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:50 pm

I'm curious what was the deal with the Dragon Ball series prior to this? I've heard that they had the Funimation dub, the Ocean dub and the Big Green dub up there. It seemed like quite the clusterfuck already.

sintzu wrote:This whole Brexit situation is being blown way out of proportion
sintzu wrote:People and especially the far left media
Lol calm down Fox.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:53 pm

gogeta97 wrote:Lol calm down Fox.
I don't even watch Fox, I'm just being realistic about the situation.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:46 pm

sintzu wrote:I don't even watch Fox, I'm just being realistic about the situation.
I was just joking. Your posts just made you sound like a conservative stereotype.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:19 am

gogeta97 wrote:
sintzu wrote:I don't even watch Fox, I'm just being realistic about the situation.
I was just joking. Your posts just made you sound like a conservative stereotype.
Are you sure? Though his stance on the media fits the bill, he was telling people not to panic.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:19 am

gogeta97 wrote:
Not getting involved in a political discussion but why does him saying "far left" automatically mean he's conservative? The media blows everything out of proportion for views and ratings. That's just common sense

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:33 am

Just to be clear, me saying far left doesn't mean I'm on the far right side, I think both groups and their media make things seem a lot worse than they are just for views and clicks which leads to uninformed people thinking what the ANN writer thinks.

Look at the US elections, each side is saying the other will burn down the country if they win but in reality, whoever wins is more or less going to keep everything the same.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:12 am

sintzu wrote:The UK isn't going to fall apart,
I agree with most of your post but not this. A big reason why Scotland voted to remain in the UK last time was because it would have to leave the EU (at least temporarily) if it did, and a clear majority of scotland voted to remain in the EU in this referendum. A new referendum on remaining in the UK is likely at this point, the leaders of scotland have already talked about that and a leave result is very possible. Basically, the same can be said for N. Ireland.
in the next few months but after that
Also this. The process to leave the EU takes two years after formalizing the request to leave and many things will change. It will take longer than a few months and it won't be the normal of old, especially if scotland and n. ireland leave, it will be a new normal.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:22 am

metamoss wrote:Are you sure? Though his stance on the media fits the bill, he was telling people not to panic.
Dbzfan94 wrote:Not getting involved in a political discussion but why does him saying "far left" automatically mean he's conservative? The media blows everything out of proportion for views and ratings. That's just common sense
Okay guys, I'm not trying to start some kind of political debate here, I was just trying to make a joke that was clearly not that funny. My bad.

Also metamoss I'm not really sure how just saying that you hate the media/take issue with it is necessarily a conservative opinion.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:49 am

gogeta97 wrote:Also metamoss I'm not really sure how just saying that you hate the media/take issue with it is necessarily a conservative opinion.
You see, I, too, was attempting to make a joke. I'm not aware of where you're from, but in the United States, it's a thing for conservative commentators (i.e. Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, etc.) to have great disdain for the "mainstream media", which, according to them, has a goal of spreading liberal propaganda. As these commentators have great influence on the conservative camp, this disdain is very common among conservative-leaning Americans. I'd imagine the joke with Nappa in Kai "hating the media" came from this. Texas is a pretty conservative state, after all.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

chaosyoshimage
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaosyoshimage » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:28 am

The latest ANN Answeman column tackles this, http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerm ... 27/.103671. Sounds like Blu-Ray prices could go up due to the UK outsourcing their disc manufacturing to other EU countries.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:42 pm

chaosyoshimage wrote:The latest ANN Answeman column tackles this, http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerm ... 27/.103671.
That was linked to in the very first post. :angel:

Anyway, I only really sort of follow American politics, because that directly affects me, and I'm not even so much into that anymore anyway, so I don't know much about what actually lead to Brexit, but I'm really curious to see where things go from here.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

chaosyoshimage
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaosyoshimage » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
chaosyoshimage wrote:The latest ANN Answeman column tackles this, http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerm ... 27/.103671.
That was linked to in the very first post. :angel:

Anyway, I only really sort of follow American politics, because that directly affects me, and I'm not even so much into that anymore anyway, so I don't know much about what actually lead to Brexit, but I'm really curious to see where things go from here.
Ah, sorry! I missed that when I first saw the thread, then came across the article later and this thread came to mind.