Will Brexit affect DB (Anime) releases in UK/US?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Re: Will Brexit affect DB (Anime) releases in UK/US?

Post by coola » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:22 pm

Sorry for necroposting, but, after about 4 years, it is official, GB will leave EU at 1st February. Question remains same, will it affect future releases of DB and other media? From what i ve read so far, Brexit was really chaotic, and nothing is fully prepared.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:48 pm

Prices of DVDs and such in the UK might go up, particularly if Brexit affects the exchange rate once we're out (which it likely will).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:58 pm

There will probably be tariffs or VAT to pay when shipping to countries outside the UK.

As a frequent purchaser of Blu-Rays online I'm not looking forward to the slight increase per title.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:44 pm

Just me speculating as a layman:

While we'll have technically left the EU on Saturday, the withdrawal agreement should be in place by then* to prevent issues with trading from the EU. Presumably the importation costs only begin either a) once the UK has actually made a proper deal or b) on December 31, when the agreement ends and a no-deal Brexit happens by default.
*the EU still needs to agree, but this is such a sure thing that it's seen as a ceremonial step.

The topics covered by the ANN article (disc manufacturing being based in Europe and the exchange rate being less favourable) still seem likely to crop up as far as I can tell. Indirectly, Brexit has the potential to be awful for the economy and create issues with food, medicine and other resources we don't make ourselves; a bad economy means there's less money to spend on relativity expensive anime releases, which in turn could affect the price and/or the viability of more niche titles.

I guess the fact that companies like Manga Entertainment release stuff in the Republic of Ireland as well as the UK could affect the pricing as well (although their Dragon Ball releases don't have Irish logos on the discs, so maybe they only have the UK rights to Dragon Ball). RoI is staying in the EU, so they may have to choose between dealing with customs charges for a chunk of their customers or cutting them off.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:06 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:44 pm I guess the fact that companies like Manga Entertainment release stuff in the Republic of Ireland as well as the UK could affect the pricing as well (although their Dragon Ball releases don't have Irish logos on the discs, so maybe they only have the UK rights to Dragon Ball). RoI is staying in the EU, so they may have to choose between dealing with customs charges for a chunk of their customers or cutting them off.
Manga UK most certainly have got the Irish home video rights to Dragon Ball. Granted I've seen none of their releases in stores here since Kai 1.0 wrapped up but I used to always see the banana, orange, green bricks, Kai, BoG and Resurrection F in HMV and Head Records before they closed shop. I'd hazard a guess its more a case that the two Tower Records and the one chain we still have (Golden Discs) doesn't think non-Gibhli/Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh anime will sell so they don't bother to order them in. I'm always hoping they will make a comeback on the high Street here but I honestly think with Brexit they will become even more risk averse to even relatively niche releases. I honestly don't recall ever seeing the Irish logo on any discs I own.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: