Funimation Dragon Ball clip.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Funimation Dragon Ball clip.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1y3Mi_jTA4

God do people SERIOUSLY want Stephanie Nadolny back? Tiffany Vollmer was the best in this but that's not saying much,. Monica Rial is much better and even she sounds a bit too bitchy,though Tiffany is even more so. I guess its Tifanny comes across as how Bulma was in the beggining so I dont mind much. I do agree with everyone who wants a Kai version of Dragon Ball.

Oh and Colleen is better than Stephanie. Sure, she sounds a bit too girly at times but man her up a little and she's perfect.

Monica Antonelli is terrific as Puar too.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimation Dragon Ball clip.

Post by TheBalishChannel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:27 pm

Your post comes off to me as uninformed. First off, if you were familiar at all with the dub that you're criticizing than you perhaps would've realized that the audio is pitch-shifted down one semitone in order to get around YouTube's automatic Content ID system, and thus affects the quality of the original performances. Second, the context you provided gives no clear indication as to why you dislike Stephanie's performance as Goku, but you really seem to emphasize how bad you think it is in your first sentence.

The, "Oh and Colleen is better than Stephanie" bit also seems completely antagonistic, both for its matter-of-fact tone and that you even bothered to make it sound as if you're saying, "Oh-- before I forget..." like you're merely typing out a stream of consciousness.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Although I understand why people don't like Nadolny, Clinkenbeard really isn't much better and I really don't understand a lot of the praise she seems to get. She makes Gohan and Kid Goku sound like an anxious 30-something year old woman.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Yeah. I did say she would be perfect if she man'd her Gohan up, but I'm not sure if she could pull it off. There should have more casting for Goku if Dragon Ball Kai was a thing.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:18 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Oh and Colleen is better than Stephanie.
How exactly?

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:32 pm

Stephanie is Gohan and Kid Goku to me. Her voice is something that's followed me since the beginning. I was disgusted and shocked when I heard GT Goku In Xenoverse voiced by Colleen. It doesn't fit Kid Goku at all, and reminds me waaaay too much of Luffy lol.

StrawHatPatriot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by StrawHatPatriot » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:25 pm

I can't believe clinkerbeard as guy. Nadolny is better in that regard.

I can't imagine kid goku with clinkenbeard.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:49 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1y3Mi_jTA4

God do people SERIOUSLY want Stephanie Nadolny back? Tiffany Vollmer was the best in this but that's not saying much,. Monica Rial is much better and even she sounds a bit too bitchy,though Tiffany is even more so. I guess its Tifanny comes across as how Bulma was in the beggining so I dont mind much. I do agree with everyone who wants a Kai version of Dragon Ball.

Oh and Colleen is better than Stephanie. Sure, she sounds a bit too girly at times but man her up a little and she's perfect.

Yes I want Stephanie Nadolny back. She is the closest to sounding like how Kid Goku would sound in English
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:09 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1y3Mi_jTA4

What is honestly the point of this post? It just comes off (as TheBallishChannel said) really antagonistic for no particular reason

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:11 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:Stephanie is Gohan and Kid Goku to me. Her voice is something that's followed me since the beginning. I was disgusted and shocked when I heard GT Goku In Xenoverse voiced by Colleen. It doesn't fit Kid Goku at all, and reminds me waaaay too much of Luffy lol.
I agree here. Sure Stephanie was off at times but she's really good in both roles imho and could be better with the modern direction. GT Goku's voice in XV is just awful to listen to

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Sorry for the antagonism guys, its just that I was irked that people actually went to bully Colleen on Twitter and insulted her and that along with the video made me really bitter and confrontational. Sorry bout that guys.

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:40 pm

I echo those who say Nadolny was a great kid Goku. I know she gets hate for her portrayal of kid Gohan, but I never found any reason to mind her work since most little boys in animation (U.S. and Japan) don't sound like actual little boys haha. Also, her voice for them is just too iconic for me, similar to how Nozawa can never be replaced. Vollmer's Bulma is also iconic for me, which is a big thing that bugs me whenever I watch Kai.

If Sabat's Vegeta could improve so much with experience and better direction, then could have Nadolny and Vollmer. I see no reason why they HAD to be replaced.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:46 pm

Hero wrote: I see no reason why they HAD to be replaced.
Well, if you want to get technical about it, the only reason anyone would ever HAVE to be replaced is in the unfortunate situation where they pass away and their character is still around.

Budget reasons (shift from Ocean to local)? Personal reasons (seemingly Nadoldny and Volmer)? HR reasons (maybe someone)? Physical location / unavailability reasons (maybe Clarke vs. Willingham; someone who knows the dub better can say)? Retirement reasons (Elliott)? Artistic decision reasons (Freeza)? Arbitrary reasons?

Those are all still reasons for a recast, whether someone likes them or not. At the end of the day, FUNimation's production of Dragon Ball is all based and built upon selling the best product they can make for as little money as they can have it cost them produced in a timely and relevant fashion. Recasts for any and all of the above reasons can be and are a part of that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:00 pm

StrawHatPatriot wrote:I can't believe clinkerbeard as guy. Nadolny is better in that regard.

I can't imagine kid goku with clinkenbeard.
And I dislike hearing Nadolny as Goku. Script issues aside, she's the single biggest detraction from an otherwise enjoyable dub.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:11 pm

I've grown to be more or less okay with our replacements cast from the original in-house crew, but a part of me will always be kind of curious to hear how Nadolny, Vollmer, and some others would have sounded via the better direction we've gotten as of Kai. There's every chance the answer would be 'not as well as their replacements', but I'd like to think there's equal chance for them to have turned out just as good, if not even better. Especially in regards to Nadolny. I can understand why some wouldn't like her take, or even her voice in general, but I personally never had much problem with her as Gohan - other than being a little offputting during the Raditz stuff - and I love her kid Goku. I'd have loved to get to hear her again in the movie 1 redub at least.
VegettoEX wrote:
Hero wrote: I see no reason why they HAD to be replaced.
Physical location / unavailability reasons (maybe Clarke vs. Willingham; someone who knows the dub better can say)? Retirement reasons (Elliott)?
I forget exactly how long Willingham has been filling in as Cell occasionally, in comparison to how long it's been since he moved, but he's also more or less an LA area actor nowadays too. I forget exactly where it was Clarke moved to (I'd hazard a guess it was LA as well), so on that one I think it was more of a case of Clarke trying to focus more on his live-action pursuits. Seems like he's had a change of heart, or has a new agent that's not as opposed to voice-over work as well, or something, in recent years thankfully though.

For the retirement reasons one, I think you probably mean (Brice) Armstrong, not (R. Bruce) Elliott, if you're thinking of Captain Ginyu, as it was the former that retired and the latter that's the replacement. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:52 pm

It bugs me a lot that Nadolny's Goku voice damn near always goes up at the end of sentences. It almost sounds like she's asking a question. Do people love that or find her laugh charming? In movie 1, during the drunk Gohan scene, she's supposed to sound like a cute kid but I heard no charm, just odd random noises. Her and Vollmer weren't the result of bad direction. You could hear Sabat improving over time. I can't say the same for the other two actresses. So no, I don't want them back, I got my with Kai, but I don't think being a keyboard warrior and hounding actors one doesn't like on Twitter is good for anyone. How do these people look themselves in the mirror and not just hate what they see looking back at them?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:57 pm

ABED wrote:I don't think being a keyboard warrior and hounding actors one doesn't like on Twitter is good for anyone. How do these people look themselves in the mirror and not just hate what they see looking back at them?
Oh I think we'd all agree on that one. Disliking a performance is one thing, badgering someone about it (or going even further and 'wishing for their death', which I've unfortunately seen on both sides of the language preference barrier too) in person or online is a whole other ballgame - and not a ballgame anyone decent should want to take part in.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:22 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
ABED wrote:I don't think being a keyboard warrior and hounding actors one doesn't like on Twitter is good for anyone. How do these people look themselves in the mirror and not just hate what they see looking back at them?
Oh I think we'd all agree on that one. Disliking a performance is one thing, badgering someone about it (or going even further and 'wishing for their death', which I've unfortunately seen on both sides of the language preference barrier too) in person or online is a whole other ballgame - and not a ballgame anyone decent should want to take part in.
I'm with you there. I don't really like Colleen as Gohan or Goku (don't hate it either) but attacking her for doing her job is honestly pathetic

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:33 am

It's really messed up, but I guess that's just how people are. Even back when Kelamis replaced Corlett as Gokuh, Kelamis got death threats from fans. And I'm SURE Schemmel did as well. Probably all of the current actors have. :/
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:19 am

I prefer Clickenbeard as Gohan, for sure. But for some reason I like Nadolny as Kid Goku. Maybe I'm just blinded by Nostalgia.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog