Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:03 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote:1) People who ignore others just out of lapse. :lolno:

2) Having family who treat you like a stranger. :problem:

3) Since the day I was born as an accident, waking up everyday to the shenanigans of people who act like if they were the children of Frieza and Beerus...
:eh: What?

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:

3) Since the day I was born as an accident, waking up everyday to the shenanigans of people who act like if they were the children of Frieza and Beerus...
:eh: What?
I thought the first one was poking fun at the scene where Zamasu and Black were being ignored by Goku and Vegeta in the recent ep.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:04 pm

What? What do you mean?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:07 am

I just realized something that grinds my gears. And I will preface this by saying we all have our own style inconsistencies. We try to follow the same rules, back everything up with logical reasons, and basically just use our brains to come up with appropriate translations, etc. So I'm certainly not saying I'm perfectly consistent in everything I do. Glass houses and all that. But since I'm getting back into Super after a couple of months' absence, and I'm reading the discussion threads on each episode, I've noticed an odd trend. I see some people use the odd combination of Kai and Kaioshin. As in, they'll keep the higher god totally untranslated, and yet they'll use the dub half term for the lower god, oftentimes in the same sentence. And for some reason, that just drives me crazy! I mean, why? How? How do you even get there? Presumably someone who uses the term "Kai" is a dub fan, so why wouldn't they use "Supreme Kai" alongside it? And from the other direction, I mean, they're already saying the "o" part in Kaioshin, so why not use it in Kaio? It's just really, really weird to me.

(And this is not to call anyone specifically out; I honestly don't remember who, and it doesn't matter. Whoever all of you are, you do you. I just find it weird.)
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:41 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:*snip*
I'm not sure if I'm in there, but I am guilty of that. I use Kai as a Race name and Kaiōshin as a position (and character), excluding the Supreme Kai of Time, which sounds better to me. So, yes, I'm inconsistent.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:58 am

Anime Kitten wrote:
This is a small thing, but I see no good reason for why some people do this with posts. It's more work.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:42 am

ABED wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote:
This is a small thing, but I see no good reason for why some people do this with posts. It's more work.
Are you talking about putting the "snip" in there or just cutting out the post in general? Because most of us either cut em down a bit or completely, so that it's easier to get to the main response.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:06 pm

ABED wrote:This is a small thing, but I see no good reason for why some people do this with posts. It's more work.
Would you rather the quote take up the bulk of the post? It's better than quoting the entire post (including the many quotes that may be within it) and just bolding a certain part. :|
MyAnimeList | AniList

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Funimation working with Saban and not treating Dragon Ball properly during the 90's.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:I'm not sure if I'm in there, but I am guilty of that. I use Kai as a Race name and Kaiōshin as a position (and character), excluding the Supreme Kai of Time, which sounds better to me. So, yes, I'm inconsistent.
Both Kaio and Kaioshin belong to the "Core People" race. They're both positions you're born into, not races. Zamasu appears to be the exception to that rule. He was promoted as an apprentice Kaioshin, instead of being born into it. Perhaps, for an alternate explanation, Universe 3 & 10 handle their hierarchies differently. Time Kaioshin, going by one of the Dragon Ball Heroes and Dragon Ball Xenoverse continuities, was promoted into her position, as well, by Toki-Toki.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:50 pm

Nejishiki wrote:Both Kaio and Kaioshin belong to the "Core People" race. They're both positions you're born into, not races.
Interesting. Of course, that doesn't affect me intentionally messing all that up in my fic. :D Also, odd that the link says the average lifespan of Core People is 75,000 years, whereas Chronoa has lived for at least a bit over 75 million.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Yeah, it's a bit conflicting because there's three separate accounts for Core People, if I recall correctly. You'll just have to take the biggest number, unless Time Kaioshin is intended to be an exception again.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:21 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
ABED wrote:This is a small thing, but I see no good reason for why some people do this with posts. It's more work.
Would you rather the quote take up the bulk of the post? It's better than quoting the entire post (including the many quotes that may be within it) and just bolding a certain part. :|
Or just respond to it. It seems utterly pointless to quote but not quote it. Maybe just write. "[Enter name], ..." without quoting them. It's not like the example you gave was that long.
Last edited by ABED on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:23 pm

ABED wrote:Or just respond to it. It seems utterly pointless to quote but not quote it.
Do you want people quoting Kunzait_83's posts in their entirety and responding with a one or two-liner statement? I prefer my posts to carry more weight than quotes or signatures on this site. All quoting like that does is stretch out the page with long posts or huge images we've already read/seen.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:24 pm

ABED wrote: Or just respond to it. It seems utterly pointless to quote but not quote it.
I don't see how. You're letting the person know that you're talking to them, while not taking up space with a long quote of their post. I can't even see how this would anger or "grind someone's gears" so to speak.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:27 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
ABED wrote:Or just respond to it. It seems utterly pointless to quote but not quote it.
Do you want people quoting Kunzait_83's posts in their entirety and responding with a one or two-liner statement? I prefer my posts to carry more weight than quotes or signatures on this site. All quoting like that does is stretch out the page with long posts or huge images we've already read/seen.
Then either quote specific lines or write, "Kunzait, I agree/disagree and here's why..." What point is there in using the quote function but not actually quoting? What purpose does it serve? In the example I used, the paragraph was not that big.
I don't see how. You're letting the person know that you're talking to them, while not taking up space with a long quote of their post. I can't even see how this would anger or "grind someone's gears" so to speak.
Writing their name should suffice. The thing that grinds my gears is that it is both pointless, and it could seem like you're speaking down to someone as though their post was too long or droned on or something.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:04 pm

One can also put big ass quotes inside spoiler tags. I have done that on occasion ever since we got that function and that leads me to another thing that grinds my gears; people not putting stuff in spoiler tags like images, when they are quoting people. On that DBNA thread for example, the artist posted the opening pages of a side story, but then the next poster, quotes his entire post without spoiler tags, just to say well done or whatever. I could understand it, if it was because it was the first post on a new page, but it wasn't, so that was kinda annoying.

Trunksuu

Post by Trunksuu » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:53 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Trunksuu wrote: " so let's just bring back a female character in the most bullshit way possible, by making her younger and in the future timeline" )
Not seeing the bullshit there, the pilaf gang wished for youth before Piccolo died, where's the bullshit?
Yeah, once I think about it, you might be right. I just think her placement in the story is really dumb.
Trunks: These androids are ruthless, they delight in causing pain and chaos.
Living on Earth in my time is like living in a nightmare. Always running and hiding and looking for a way out.

Trunks: I can't find hope in the present, but if I change the past can I find hope for the future?

Android 18: Ugh! I hate you!
Trunks: You hate the fact that you're powerless to stop me. That you're completely outmatched. Well imagine feeling what you do now all of the time like the people of this planet do. Fools! How do you think my master Gohan felt when you ganged up on him in the rain and he had no way out? Well, now it's your turn, I hope you enjoy it.

Trunks: Gohan, why'd you have to do it, why'd you have to leave me? It's not fair! Oh gosh no... what did they do to you Gohan? You were my best friend, you were everything to me... everything! This just isn't fair! Gohan, Gohan, GOHAN!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:00 am

Trunksuu wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Trunksuu wrote: " so let's just bring back a female character in the most bullshit way possible, by making her younger and in the future timeline" )
Not seeing the bullshit there, the pilaf gang wished for youth before Piccolo died, where's the bullshit?
Yeah, once I think about it, you might be right. I just think her placement in the story is really dumb.
I think back in the Battle of Gods movie the reason for their placement was due to their previous status as Dragonball Characters, bringing back more of the nostalgia-factor. Then Toriyama decided to make comedy villains main characters... While I do like them, I don't think their placement in the story was dumb, though I will say their placement was much more dumb back in the BoG arc.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:10 am

Super apologists... especially ones who give it praise where it doesn't deserve it (I.E. things DB had always been doing).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.