Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:28 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Blue's mechanics are a bit odd for me, it's meant to give perfect ki control but it's also stamina draining. I've seen some people say it's draining precisely because it gives perfect ki control but shouldn't control let you dictate how much power a form will take out of you at any given moment?
Goku did address that when Whis was making them train in the staff in the early parts of Resurrection F. Keeping your ki contained like Whis was telling them to is physically demanding.
I would take this statement so much more seriously if the anime actually supported it visually by removing auras which they don't. But Toyotaro, the guy who never talked about ki leaking ever in the manga IS gonna do right by it with CSSBlue. What the ass. You cannot talk about ki leaking then have everyone keep farting out auras which were removed in the staff dimension to visualize how to not leak ki.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:35 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Blue's mechanics are a bit odd for me, it's meant to give perfect ki control but it's also stamina draining. I've seen some people say it's draining precisely because it gives perfect ki control but shouldn't control let you dictate how much power a form will take out of you at any given moment?
Goku did address that when Whis was making them train in the staff in the early parts of Resurrection F. Keeping your ki contained like Whis was telling them to is physically demanding.
I would take this statement so much more seriously if the anime actually supported it visually by removing auras which they don't. But Toyotaro, the guy who never talked about ki leaking ever in the manga IS gonna do right by it with CSSBlue. What the ass. You cannot talk about ki leaking then have everyone keep farting out auras which were removed in the staff dimension to visualize how to not leak ki.
You've gotta pick your poison on this one. On the one hand you have the auras, on the other you have the lack of explanation on how Goku can still use Super Saiyan God or how Blue works at all.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:38 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:You've gotta pick your poison on this one. On the one hand you have the auras, on the other you have the lack of explanation on how Goku can still use Super Saiyan God or how Blue works at all.
I'd prefer a manga style system for the transformations. Really, a lot of the problems with regards to how Goku's power even works comes from the messy SSGod absorption business. Getting rid of that and just having God & Blue be the two strongest one's while the old one's stick around would get rid of a vast assortment of issues. 4 didn't magically delete the past forms when it debut after all.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:46 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:You've gotta pick your poison on this one. On the one hand you have the auras, on the other you have the lack of explanation on how Goku can still use Super Saiyan God or how Blue works at all.
I'd prefer a manga style system for the transformations. Really, a lot of the problems with regards to how Goku's power even works comes from the messy SSGod absorption business. Getting rid of that and just having God & Blue be the two strongest one's while the old one's stick around would get rid of a vast assortment of issues. 4 didn't magically delete the past forms when it debut after all.
It's a mess either way because the BoG chapters say the God ritual is temporary but then he has it anyway. I think the real problem is the half-assed explanation of what Blue is in any version of Resurrection F. If it was divorced from God it would clear up a lot of issues, imo.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:40 pm

You know what grinds my gears?
* Relationships ending as soon as I mention I'm into anime and Dragon Ball... :(
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:You know what grinds my gears?
* Relationships ending as soon as I mention I'm into anime and Dragon Ball... :(
Everybody has hobbies, I don't understand why It would matter to them unless you try to bring up anime constantly.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:04 am

Being a "nerd" or a "geek" has never been more mainstream, though.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:45 pm

rereboy wrote:
Not in South Dakota, anime never really boomed here as it's mostly farmers up here or manufacturing. There are tech jobs but in major cities (Rapid City or Sioux Falls(I live in SF))

If I changed my location for example to Denver, San Francisco, or New York I got well a lot of nice e-mails so yea location matters.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Not in South Dakota, anime never really boomed here as it's mostly farmers up here or manufacturing. There are tech jobs but in major cities (Rapid City or Sioux Falls(I live in SF))

If I changed my location for example to Denver, San Francisco, or New York I got well a lot of nice e-mails so yea location matters.
I'm assuming when you mean with changing location you mean an online profile? If so I would recommend mentioning you are an anime enthusiast or something that makes it sound casual for people to have an idea of who you are but not to make it the only thing about you so they don't think that is the only thing you can talk about.

I blame Filthy Frank and the stupid misuse of weaboo :(

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:43 pm

rereboy wrote:
Depends on the subject. Like if your nerd in the fact that you play video games, watch anime, really into pop culture, or just stuff like that, then yeah, but if your a nerd in the sense where your super into science (not to sound like an elitist, but like actually science), literature, or just stuff like that, that stuff still isn't to popular. Also the word nerd grinds my gears. Like geek is funny, but nerd ? Nah.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:29 pm

When people say BOG and ROF stuff is from DBZ and not from DBS because both stories debuted first in two (recent) DBZ Movies, even though there's nothing about those events in the original manga, DBZ/Kai, the old Toei Movies, and they are the core part of DBS story. If anything, it's right to say those stories are not exclusive to DBS but even so they are more from DBS than they will ever be from DBZ.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Comments about the slight shift in art style as an indicator characters have got weaker. "Oh he is slightly slimmer and that could indicate..." So did Jonathan in Araki's modern art but you are to believe that he has the same body as he did in 87'

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:24 pm

People who hate on the Japanese soundtrack. That’s probably my biggest gripe with all of fandom.
My immortal Phoenix died of food poisoning

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8udQV ... 4GFPrFEPzg
Twitter https://twitter.com/SmugStick

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:11 am

New thing that grinds my gears: people constantly defending any new transformation Universe 6 gets with "well, Goten and Trunks unlocked SSJ and they were kids." I don't know what the popular opinion is, but I have NEVER regarded Goten unlocking SSJ because he got a little scared of his mom as good writing. Defending universe 6's transformations with something that I would say is bad writing is not a good argument. If you're fine with or don't care about Universe 6 unlocking the forms, that's fine. If you want to defend them attaining these forms, go ahead; there's evidence you can use for that purpose. But for the love of Dende, stop using Goten and Trunks as the "be-all, end-all" defense; it's not.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:24 am

If someone breaks up with you over a harmless hobby, you're better off without them

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:23 pm

People saying x character doesn't have a personality
It's annoying and it's start to becoming a buzzword

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:33 pm

The implication that fights or action are separate from story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:41 pm

People want a character that they hate to be torture by Freeza.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:54 pm

DB things that grind my gears huh? The English dub! All of them!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:15 pm

Gligarman wrote:DB things that grind my gears huh? The English dub! All of them!
Comments like this grinds my gears. With the modern stuff, Kai onward are good dubs.