Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MaskedRider
Banned

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by MaskedRider » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:34 pm

People who can only criticize Super on that it is a "cash grab" and every thing in the show must be a financial decision.
Toriyama is a hack the second he gained profit from his manga, its all about that moolah, money, dalero, cash to him. If he REALLY cared about his creation he would just be a hungry artist.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Michsi wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
ssjjanemba wrote:Dragon Ball fans attacking Akira Toriyama for not giving them what they want.
Has he ever been "attacked?" I doubt that considering he's pretty private. Criticizing an author isn't attacking them.
Sad thing is, we know it would totally happen if he ever decided to get twitter account or something like that. Think of how many creators got driven off social media because of pushy fans.
The image of Toriyama on twitter is hilarious, he would totally be such a shitposter...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:15 pm

MaskedRider wrote:People who can only criticize Super on that it is a "cash grab" and every thing in the show must be a financial decision.
Toriyama is a hack the second he gained profit from his manga, its all about that moolah, money, dalero, cash to him. If he REALLY cared about his creation he would just be a hungry artist.
I don't see the logic there. You can be a successful artist (i.e living off your work) without completely selling out. Artists aren't hungry because they want to be, nor do you have to be "hungry" to create anything of value. Akira Toriyama scribbling notes on a napkin and handing it over to Toei to develop a series is the epitome of a cash grab - the artist's involvement or lack thereof is usually a direct indication of what their intentions are.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:43 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
MaskedRider wrote:People who can only criticize Super on that it is a "cash grab" and every thing in the show must be a financial decision.
I don't see the logic there. You can be a successful artist (i.e living off your work) without completely selling out. Artists aren't hungry because they want to be, nor do you have to be "hungry" to create anything of value. Akira Toriyama scribbling notes on a napkin and handing it over to Toei to develop a series is the epitome of a cash grab - the artist's involvement or lack thereof is usually a direct indication of what their intentions are.
I'm not positive, but I think he was being funny by pointing out what he believes is an absurd claim about Super. I'd also be hesitant to claim involvement is corrolated with cash grab.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:35 pm

Kanassa wrote: The image of Toriyama on twitter is hilarious, he would totally be such a shitposter...
@Toribot: lol just watched star wars the phantom menace. What if Goku had midichlorians

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:20 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
It could also be that this is a Toriyama who isn't in his prime anymore who has worked in an industry known for being stressful to both the hand and brain. The same man who commented on his disappointment in the quality of the show in the past and helps the new artist of the manga counterpart by reading his draft and helping him with tips and changes. I understand why you would be questionable but I can also understand why a sixty year old man wouldn't want to go too deep in the involvement after what he accomplished. This is an individual who commented on how he is glad he didn't have to draw what was shown in the movies such as the battle with Freeza's henchmen or leaving important life stuff such as taxes for others to handle it which says a lot about him but its not like this is new to know.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:52 pm

When people pronounce "Dragon Ball FighterZ" as "Dragon Ball Fighter Z".
Caulifla best girl! :)

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:56 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:When people pronounce "Dragon Ball FighterZ" as "Dragon Ball Fighter Z".
This goes along with my hatred of people referring to the entire franchise as DeeeBeeeZeee. :x
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:When people pronounce "Dragon Ball FighterZ" as "Dragon Ball Fighter Z".
Wait wait wait what?
How is it "supposed" to be pronounced? Fighterzzz? When was that established? Genuinely curious because I've been calling it fighter Z this whole time, only saying fighterzzz as a joke :lol:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:04 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote:
Wait wait wait what?
How is it "supposed" to be pronounced? Fighterzzz? When was that established? Genuinely curious because I've been calling it fighter Z this whole time, only saying fighterzzz as a joke :lol:
It's written ''FighterZ', not 'Fighter Z'; it's written to be pronounced like 'Fighters', but with a Zzzz sound

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:05 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote:
Wait wait wait what?
"Dragon Ball Fighters" As if the "Z" is an "S".
Caulifla best girl! :)

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:30 pm

I'll probably keep calling it Fighter-Z because I feel like that's just how it's meant to be read, even if they actually intended to, and do officially pronounce it as "Fighters" simply by way of what the logo looks like. The "Z" is so much larger and bigger than the word "Fighter" that it looks like it should be pronounced as its own separate letter instead of part of the same word. Plus "Fighter" is an actual word even without the Z/S attached to it. If the Z was the same size as the word "Fighter" then a lot less people would be pronouncing it as "Fighter Z"

That, and the show is pronounced "Dragon Ball Z", not "Dragonballz" so you'd logically think the game was Fighter Z and not Fighterz

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:22 am

Viz licensed and released a Saikyo Jump manga, and it's not Dragon Ball SD.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:36 am

As of recent, the constant endless complaining about the TOP arc in Super and everything about it. It seems like nobody can ever be happy, they have to tear apart the arc and all its characters and fights endlessly, constantly nitpicking and barely talking about the good parts.

ReadyComicsRoll

Post by ReadyComicsRoll » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 am

The fact that Vegeta wasn't the one to kill Frieze in "Resurrection Of F" or the Frieza Saga of Dragon Ball Super. I love Goku, but having Vegeta finally avenge his home planet would have been amazing! Miss opportunity not ONCE but TWICE!!! AAAAHHHHHHH!!! D:<

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:38 pm

When people act like children in a discussion on Dragon Ball and start throwing an emotional temper tantrum, ruining said discussion for us all. :thumbdown:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:44 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
This goes along with my hatred of people referring to the entire franchise as DeeeBeeeZeee. :x
'Dragon Ball Z Super' has really started to rustle my jimmies. Just look at the logo people. There's no Z in there! :lol

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:22 pm

Asura wrote:When people act like children in a discussion on Dragon Ball and start throwing an emotional temper tantrum, ruining said discussion for us all. :thumbdown:
I've been noticing this trend, agreed.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:33 pm

All that talk about Vegeta getting "Offensive Ultra Instinct".
Dudes, that doesn't exist. There's one Ultra Instinct, and we have been given an explanation about why is easier to defend than to attack in such form. "Regular UI"? Ok, I don't think that's happening this arc, but it's a reasonable expectation, I guess. Offensive UI? IT'S.NOT.A.THING.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:48 pm

ReadyComicsRoll wrote:The fact that Vegeta wasn't the one to kill Frieze in "Resurrection Of F" or the Frieza Saga of Dragon Ball Super. I love Goku, but having Vegeta finally avenge his home planet would have been amazing! Miss opportunity not ONCE but TWICE!!! AAAAHHHHHHH!!! D:<
For me, that would have been even worse than what he already got. RoF shouldn't have been Vegeta avenging his planet, it should have been him showing he's over Frieza.

Kanassa wrote: