Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1161
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:39 pm

I also don't like how contentious the canon vs noncanon debate is.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

User avatar
Puaru
Banned
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Puaru » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:22 pm

I don't like it when people refuse to admit that Gohan is strong again. They say "Gohan being equal to Kefla is bullshit". Well he IS equal to Kefla, so the days when we all called Gohan weak and shitty should be something we should try to put behind us.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1677
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:40 pm

Puaru wrote:I don't like it when people refuse to admit that Gohan is strong again. They say "Gohan being equal to Kefla is bullshit". Well he IS equal to Kefla, so the days when we all called Gohan weak and shitty should be something we should try to put behind us.
No one is saying Gohan isn't strong again. He is, but he still shouldn't be anywhere near Kefla.
The problem is Kale was trashing Golden Frieza and Kefla should be way stronger than Kale.
It would basically mean Gohan is way stronger than Golden Frieza and Goku SSJ Blue.

I would say Kefla is too weak compared to Kale. I like the idea of Kefla being weaker so Gohan could fight her, but it doesn't make sense if you look at how strong Kale was.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
Puaru
Banned
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Puaru » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:56 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: It would basically mean Gohan is way stronger than Golden Frieza and Goku SSJ Blue.
What's wrong with that? Freeza could reach SSJB level by training for just four months. If Freeza could get that strong in such a short time then why not Gohan? Gohan has been training for more than four months. If Freeza can be SSJB level then it only makes sense that Gohan is too. Also I'm pretty sure both 17 and even Future Trunks are SSJB level, and if ALL those characters managed to become that powerful by regular ass training then it makes sense that Gohan would become even stronger since he has more potential.

I for one appreciate that Gohan is strong again so that we don't have to think of him as weak, lame, pathethic, pointless and useless like he was shown in the anime ToP.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by CriticalThinker » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:17 pm

Puaru wrote:
What's wrong with that? Freeza could reach SSJB level by training for just four months. If Freeza could get that strong in such a short time then why not Gohan? Gohan has been training for more than four months. If Freeza can be SSJB level then it only makes sense that Gohan is too. Also I'm pretty sure both 17 and even Future Trunks are SSJB level, and if ALL those characters managed to become that powerful by regular ass training then it makes sense that Gohan would become even stronger since he has more potential.

I for one appreciate that Gohan is strong again so that we don't have to think of him as weak, lame, pathethic, pointless and useless like he was shown in the anime ToP.
Sorry to butt into this conversation but how exactly was Gohan shown to be weak, lame, pathetic, pointless, in the anime version of the TOP?

User avatar
Puaru
Banned
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Puaru » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:33 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:
Sorry to butt into this conversation but how exactly was Gohan shown to be weak, lame, pathetic, pointless, in the anime version of the TOP?
Well of course he was, he never did anything even remotely impressive, and FOUR of his teammates came of as being stronger than him, including that lame ass 17 that hadn't been seen since the Cell saga and somehow became SSB level. Gohan was a disapointing waste of screentime in the anime and never did a single thing to suggest him being SSB level like Freeza and 17. Gohan sucked so bad, but honestly I don't wanna have to think about that anymore because now the manga has shown that Gohan is cool again.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by CriticalThinker » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:46 pm

Puaru wrote:
Well of course he was, he never did anything even remotely impressive, and FOUR of his teammates came of as being stronger than him, including that lame ass 17 that hadn't been seen since the Cell saga and somehow became SSB level. Gohan was a disapointing waste of screentime in the anime and never did a single thing to suggest him being SSB level like Freeza and 17. Gohan sucked so bad, but honestly I don't wanna have to think about that anymore because now the manga has shown that Gohan is cool again.
I mean in the anime he did manage to take out two universes, that being U10 and U6, and did play a big part in fighting against the U3 robots, also took out Dyspo with the help of Freeza. If anything he did much more in the anime than he did the manga. Also in one of the episodes before the tournament when he and Goku were fighting he made Goku go Super saiyan Blue kaioken, which in my eyes makes Gohan SSB level, also I'm pretty sure this happened in episode 90. But if you prefer how the manga handled him that's fine.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1677
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:40 pm

Puaru wrote: What's wrong with that? Freeza could reach SSJB level by training for just four months.
Repeating bullshit is still bullshit.
People are still making fun of Frieza surpassing SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ3, SSJ God and even SSJ Blue by training for 4 months.
SSJ God was overall respected after Battle of Gods but SSJ Blue became a joke after it turned out training for 4 months was enough to fight on par with it.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5353
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:31 pm

"This new character shouldn't be this strong."
Usually used for Caulifla, Kale, Kefla and Jiren.

New characters can be as strong as the writers want, because they are getting introduced for the first time and there's not such a compromise about their past feats.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

User avatar
Puaru
Banned
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Puaru » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:01 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Repeating bullshit is still bullshit.
If every other character gets bullshit Power ups that places them around SSB level then so should Gohan. Having Freeza, 17 and Future Trunks be SSB-level for absolute bullshit reasons but NOT Gohan makes no sense because Gohan has more potential.

And now Gohan is strong like he should, since he fought eually with Kefla, and that's only fair.

User avatar
lord godly da don
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:05 am

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by lord godly da don » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:05 am

The fact that people keep calling Gohan's full potential unleashed a transformation and the fact that dbs gave him a bang when he unleashes his full potential

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:11 am

Puaru wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote: Repeating bullshit is still bullshit.
If every other character gets bullshit Power ups that places them around SSB level then so should Gohan. Having Freeza, 17 and Future Trunks be SSB-level for absolute bullshit reasons but NOT Gohan makes no sense because Gohan has more potential.

And now Gohan is strong like he should, since he fought eually with Kefla, and that's only fair.
Or how about we stop applying the idiotic logic that two wrongs make a right when it comes to DBs writing and ask for wrongs NOT to happen period. That'd be a nice change of pace.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:21 pm
Location: Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:02 pm

The OVER-USING AND FOCUSING OVER THE SAYIANS! And Gohan becoming a Super Saiyan 2 ONLY AFTER Android 16 - who was aiming at killing his dad afterwards - had been killed (as if that Recoome knock-off had a soul).

Or as JHallComics from Reddit described it yesterday: Image

User avatar
Puaru
Banned
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Puaru » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:38 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Puaru wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote: Repeating bullshit is still bullshit.
If every other character gets bullshit Power ups that places them around SSB level then so should Gohan. Having Freeza, 17 and Future Trunks be SSB-level for absolute bullshit reasons but NOT Gohan makes no sense because Gohan has more potential.

And now Gohan is strong like he should, since he fought eually with Kefla, and that's only fair.
Or how about we stop applying the idiotic logic that two wrongs make a right when it comes to DBs writing and ask for wrongs NOT to happen period. That'd be a nice change of pace.
No, it would be retarded if Gohan was to be singled out as the character who doesn't get bullshit power-up's despite everyone else getting it. If the new rule of the DB franchise is that any significant Z fighter can easily reach the level of SSB with regular ass training or bullshit new transformations then it would be dumb as fuck to NOT let Gohan have the same benifits. Why single him out and have him apply to a more traditional DBZ logic regarding power levels when the new general principle of the franchise as a whole seem to be that anyone can reach god-like leves just by tranining for a couple of months or having gay sex with animals on an island? If everyone from Freeza to Trunks to 17 gets those kinds of benifits then Gohan should get it too because that is obviously the new trend of the series. Gohan being weaker than every other damn Z fighter on the grounds that him ganing SSB level power "wouldnt make any sense" when everyone else gets it despite that making just as little sense is idiotic.

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Puaru wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Puaru wrote:
If every other character gets bullshit Power ups that places them around SSB level then so should Gohan. Having Freeza, 17 and Future Trunks be SSB-level for absolute bullshit reasons but NOT Gohan makes no sense because Gohan has more potential.

And now Gohan is strong like he should, since he fought eually with Kefla, and that's only fair.
Or how about we stop applying the idiotic logic that two wrongs make a right when it comes to DBs writing and ask for wrongs NOT to happen period. That'd be a nice change of pace.
No, it would be retarded if Gohan was to be singled out as the character who doesn't get bullshit power-up's despite everyone else getting it. If the new rule of the DB franchise is that any significant Z fighter can easily reach the level of SSB with regular ass training or bullshit new transformations then it would be dumb as fuck to NOT let Gohan have the same benifits. Why single him out and have him apply to a more traditional DBZ logic regarding power levels when the new general principle of the franchise as a whole seem to be that anyone can reach god-like leves just by tranining for a couple of months or having gay sex with animals on an island? If everyone from Freeza to Trunks to 17 gets those kinds of benifits then Gohan should get it too because that is obviously the new trend of the series. Gohan being weaker than every other damn Z fighter on the grounds that him ganing SSB level power "wouldnt make any sense" when everyone else gets it despite that making just as little sense is idiotic.
Or how about we not make a stupid rule a rule and instead write scenarios where, if a character wants to improve, they actually have to work for it for more than five adjacent seconds during which they do... something off screen. I never said singling out Gohan was the solution, I'm saying that using the logic of "Well if this stupid bullshit happened to other people, that makes it okay to happen now!". The logical end point of that is a series that does whatever the hell it wants and everyone bending over backwards to like it.

Two, or in Super's case, 20 wrongs don't make a right: don't do a wrong period, be good or fuck off. That's my stance not just with DB but any series.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17686
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Ridiculous neologisms like Flanderize and headcanon. New terms didn't need to be created and Flanderize was made by someone with a passing knowledge of The Simpsons. Terms or phrases already exist for terms like those two abovementioned that don't make things clearer.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
MajinMan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1229
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:42 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by MajinMan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:14 pm

I don’t understand why people think the original Super Saiyan design is lazy or bad. I’ve seen claims where people praise SS4 as the only good Super Saiyan transformation design, and it boggles my mind how one of the most, if not the most, popular transformation in all of manga and anime is considered a bad design.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

60.

Rest in peace.

User avatar
CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by CTAkuma » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:29 pm

Certain characters in the ToP geting obvious shine and screen time, while others get left in the dust. Also the escalation of power levels, where people train for a miniscule amount of time and catch up to Goku and Vegeta instantly with the everpresent excuse being "Potential" which in my eyes is a joke now.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17686
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:17 pm

CTAkuma wrote:Certain characters in the ToP geting obvious shine and screen time, while others get left in the dust.
Is it that characters get left in the dust or particular characters getting left in the dust?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3792
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:08 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:The OVER-USING AND FOCUSING OVER THE SAYIANS! And Gohan becoming a Super Saiyan 2 ONLY AFTER Android 16 - who was aiming at killing his dad afterwards - had been killed (as if that Recoome knock-off had a soul).

Or as JHallComics from Reddit described it yesterday: Image
This comic does nothing but undermine your point. The Dragon Team treated Gohan like Garbage. Why should he be worried about them. AND 16 DOESNT HAVE A SOUL. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. HE DIED FOR GOOD.

I dont really care about SSJ2 Gohan complaining or praise but I just had to say it.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Post Reply