Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: things that grind your gears

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:53 pm

Thing that grinds my gears: When there is a complex villain who is morally grey, and some people (usually a few) online feel the need to ridicule and mock them with asinine and meme-worthy arguments (arguing in bad faith), just because they can't admit that the author/writers put considerable thought into creating that villain and it's not just a Scooby doo monster.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:59 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:53 pm Thing that grinds my gears: When there is a complex villain who is morally grey, and some people (usually a few) online feel the need to ridicule and mock them with asinine and meme-worthy arguments (arguing in bad faith), just because they can't admit that the author/writers put considerable thought into creating that villain and it's not just a Scooby doo monster.
By chance, is this villain you speak of Raditz?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:16 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:59 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:53 pm Thing that grinds my gears: When there is a complex villain who is morally grey, and some people (usually a few) online feel the need to ridicule and mock them with asinine and meme-worthy arguments (arguing in bad faith), just because they can't admit that the author/writers put considerable thought into creating that villain and it's not just a Scooby doo monster.
You know it's not :think: Although you could certainly argue that Raditz was not a complete monster, if anything because he's the son of Bardock who, as revealed in the Broly movie, was actually kind-hearted...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:46 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:16 pm Although you could certainly argue that Raditz was not a complete monster, if anything because he's the son of Bardock who, as revealed in the Broly movie, was actually kind-hearted...
Someone can be a terrible person completely independent of what their parents are or did.

From what we've been told and shown, completely independent of [insert version of Bardock here], Raditz was (by all normal means of judging someone) a terrible person.

Probably somewhat related here, but critical analysis of literature and characters therein is not a personal attack on any given "fan" of that piece of literature or specific character. Do not personify them. They are not real. Their feelings cannot be hurt. You are not singularly defined by a thing that you like, and do not singularly define yourself by a thing that you like.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:58 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:16 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:59 pm
You know it's not :think: Although you could certainly argue that Raditz was not a complete monster, if anything because he's the son of Bardock who, as revealed in the Broly movie, was actually kind-hearted...
What does his father have to do with anything?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:08 am

Hey, I know the girls Oolong kidnapped ended up being pampered, but it was still a creepy thing to do.

Pafupafu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pafupafu » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:13 pm

Currently grinding my gears...Funimation's streaming of the Dragon Ball Z series (currently in the Cell arc) has most subbed episodes in 4:3 and then all of a sudden some are 16:9 cropped. No rhyme or reason to which has which. Pick a side, folks! Clicking the "next" arrow after an episode ends and not knowing what's coming is like playing russian roulette with my eyes.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:35 pm

Every time I see a clip from something cool in the tournament of power I’m also reminded how extremely annoying the constant Omni-king reaction cuts are. They constantly take away from any good scene and completely kill the vibe and pacing. So so frustrating to see.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:16 pm

Why do I get the feeling that this is about a certain Dragon Ball Super character that’s about as morally grey as Fred Phelps or Rush Limbaugh

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:34 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:16 pm
Why do I get the feeling that this is about a certain Dragon Ball Super character that’s about as morally grey as Fred Phelps or Rush Limbaugh
You said it, not me.

Maybe I was just talking in general :wink: