Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by nite_jay » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:48 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Ajay wrote:
Scarz wrote:"This [inser name of fan/comic/animation/fic] is two hundred times better than Super!"
Oh god, I ran into an instance of this recently that made me laugh (and cry).

It was a Saitama vs Goku fan animation and all of the comments were along the lines of, "Wow, they should hire you for Super!"

Every single bit of animation was traced from somewhere else -- Super included! How fans can be so blind baffles me.
Its kind of sad that, even that still looked better than most of Super's terrible fight choreography. I cant stand the wild flailing fist animations we get now.
That fan animation looked no where near any of Super's best or even okay fights animation wise. (Not trying to say its terrible or anything.) :think:
Last edited by nite_jay on Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:13 pm

Ajay wrote:
Scarz wrote:"This [inser name of fan/comic/animation/fic] is two hundred times better than Super!"

It was a Saitama vs Goku fan animation and all of the comments were along the lines of, "Wow, they should hire you for Super!"

Every single bit of animation was traced from somewhere else -- Super included! How fans can be so blind baffles me.
This.

One thing that really disheartens me is just how malicious some Funi-Dub fans can be (and Ocean Dub people toward them, then again that was years ago and maybe they've changed...) towards people who're JP sub fans...

For reference, I'm a dub-to-sub convert who still has affection for the Funi cast, I was introduced to the series when I was a toddler via my mother and the dub, there was no way I'd be indoctrinated into DB via the sub unless my mother was a subbed anime fan which she's not, though she's watched sub anime with me. :lol:

But more to the point, just...yeah, some Funi Dub fans (not the majority I don't think) , they can just be so unneededly malicious and it makes me upset to see that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:03 pm

SuperSaiyanBatman wrote:
Ajay wrote:

This.

One thing that really disheartens me is just how malicious some Funi-Dub fans can be (and Ocean Dub people toward them, then again that was years ago and maybe they've changed...) towards people who're JP sub fans...

For reference, I'm a dub-to-sub convert who still has affection for the Funi cast, I was introduced to the series when I was a toddler via my mother and the dub, there was no way I'd be indoctrinated into DB via the sub unless my mother was a subbed anime fan which she's not, though she's watched sub anime with me. :lol:

But more to the point, just...yeah, some Funi Dub fans (not the majority I don't think) , they can just be so unneededly malicious and it makes me upset to see that.
The exact same can be said for sub fans, though. It goes both ways

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:58 pm

SuperSaiyanBatman wrote: This.

Can you give any examples? I'm not denying that there are many dub fans who are assholes, but sub fans are typically worse imo. I say this as a subbie myself.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:11 pm

gogeta97 wrote: Can you give any examples? I'm not denying that there are many dub fans who are assholes, but sub fans are typically worse imo. I say this as a subbie myself.
I've mostly just come back for stuff, but checking out reddit, youtube and twitter stuff recently, I've seen them scattered, it's less of a one is better or not sort of thing just so much as how mean it comes across with some of them, but I didn't mean to start this sort of thing, I should've not left it out :oops:

To word it better, I just want both sides to get along and enjoy it together, I'm probably just overreacting to the scattered negativity I see and blowing it up, but ah, me and stuff like that, not a good place to discuss :oops:

More on the topic: I enjoy GT well enough, it introduced me to a lot of things but I still have problems with that character designer for it, the one who did it and Path to power? it can look really off in bad ways with huge chins and what. Do we know who that specific designer is?

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:35 pm

Honestly, Super Saiyan.

It was good the first time it happened with Goku but, ever since then, it's gone beyond ridiculous with the whole "enemy too strong? no problem, we'll just invent a new level of Super Saiyan" and when the over the top hair gets played out, they go for weird colours instead. It's become a boring crutch.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:57 pm

I think with episode 5 of Super, people like to jump on the bandwagon and be like "Super is the worst thing ever!". I think Toei started Super with the Champa saga in January 2016, I bet Super will be more well like now. I feel like the show's rep has gotten better, but the re-tellings did hurt the show though.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:00 am

What grinds my gears? Well, you asked, so here goes..

-Made up equations, power tiers charts, random assigned number comparisons between characters from different eras of the series, all for the purpose of what? Hoping to gain some sort of validation for your personal need to view the entire series as one big list of power and character names/forms? It used to be contained to its own designated thread for the most part, but you can not click on a single thread that doesn't degrade (and quite quickly too) into "Here's what I have.. Character X 6, Character Y 9, Character Z 26 etc.." Or "If Character X was to fight Character Y as Super Saiyan whatever form, then X > Y, therefore Character Z from three story arcs prior to this must be at the same level, and if we go there, then you can validate my personal thinking on how this has to be for me to enjoy it!"

-Any variation of this: "Dragonball Super sux because it doesn't follow my power charts that I spent years making prior to its release. Even though it follows closely to the original formula of world building and expansion, character interactions, martial arts action, and a healthy dose of gags, it isn't what my expectations were. Therefore, I'll become the never ending nag with snide remarks in every thread I come across to make my dis-satisfaction known to all. Even if it slowly improves as it goes along, and I keep watching a pirated version of it regardless of my hate, nothing in it makes any sense whatsoever. I'll hand wave any in-universe explanations away as nonsense rather than participate in any discussion about it. My goal is to rob anyone who does enjoy it from being able to do so. It isn't "serious" like Z was, and I will ignore the fact that I watched Z when I was much younger, and deny the fact that it hasn't changed, but that I grew older, so the gags and such seem more prevalent, when in reality it is very similar to the previous series (Z) and its final story arc (Buu Saga). Which itself was already the source of endless, not so well explained plot points and unclear power scaling, as well as ushered in the return of of more gags, long before Kai or Super even existed. Finally, I will ignore that half the Freeza fight in Z was interrupted repeatedly by Bulma and Ginyu gags, and Chi-chi, Roshi, Yajerobi and Puar acting like they were going to head to namek too. I will especially look back on the Cell Games with extra rosy tinted glasses, and gloss over the fact that the pacing of the whole tournament was nearly ruined by all the cut-aways to Mr. Satan and his cronies talking about "tricks" to the announcer with the broken microphone, and pretend like Super is the only series to have a bunch of time padding nonsense interjected via the Pilaf gang as if that hasn't always been the case all along."

-That there even exists animosity between fans over the subject of English voice overs vs. Original Japanese with English Subtitles. Seriously? I don't consider myself "belonging" to either "faction". I like the voice casts of both versions, they are fairly interchangeable for me. Know how I watched it a lot of times in the past? English voices with the Japanese subtitles turned on for context and contrast between the versions. I kinda understand if you don't like hearing a foreign language track that you can't comprehend what they are saying, but bashing each other back and forth, by getting arrogant or defensive is just silly. I can easily watch and enjoy either version, just depends who I'm watching it with. If you adhere to one version, and slam others, or rag on the voice cast of the other, then shame on you, you're missing out, both sides. The more versions you watch, the more you come to appreciate some of the subtleties and differences. Not all of them are good, but not all are totally horrible either. Sometimes the jokes are funnier when translated and altered slightly with a western audience in mind. Sometimes the dialog is not quite up to snuff with the original intent, and you need those Japanese subtitles for better understanding of a certain scene. Sometimes they say something rather basic or bland in the original that isn't plot or power relevant, and the english version adds a nice little something there that enhances the scene in a different way that you end up liking. My point is, you can come to enjoy the story, on the whole, much better if you open up and check out all the versions that you are able to understand in one way or another. Don't peg yourself into one category or the other, give that other version another shot, you might find something in it that you end up liking, or a plot detail that you never fully appreciated before.

-Any discussions about what is "canon" or not. There is no official canon. Pick the stuff you enjoy, and add it to whatever you accept as part of the story. There's a bunch of movies, specials, versions of the TV series and mangas. Pick stuff a la carte, and piece together what you accept or like, or think "fits". Just don't ask me to validate it for you. (especially if it involves Brolly :lolno: Kidding, if you like that character, it's cool.) I won't ask you validate what I like either, deal?

*Please Note: It is not my intent to offend anyone, nor is this directed at any one person specifically. These are generalizations of things that bother me, and since the topic title asked as much, I responded honestly and openly. If you didn't have an Attention Deficit episode over my mega post, could tell where I was being sarcastic, and where I was being serious, then thumbs up and kudos to you. I hope maybe something in there even made you chuckle perhaps.

Hopping off the soap box now, and I won't be rude and drop the microphone. I'll put it back on the base stand for whomever goes next. :mrgreen:
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:37 am

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch...

But really, one of the things that bugs me is elitism or how some people think anybody that likes a certain version only likes it because of nostalgia or some other reason that isn't true.
Something like
Me: "I like this scene better in the Funi dub."
guy: "That's just because you saw that version first."
Me: "No, I actually saw that in the Japanese version first."
guy: "No you didn't, if you did you would agree that the Japanese version is better, its definitely nostalgia affecting your choice, it happens a lot with dub fans."
Me: "I actually did see it in the original first. I watched a lot of DBZ subbed while seeing other parts dubbed and have seen a lot of the series in both versions, I like some scenes dubbed and some subbed, it doesn't matter which I saw first."
guy: "No its definitely just nostalgia, anybody that actually knows what they're talking about agrees that scene is best in the original just like every other scene. You just don't want to accept/admit that. So you can like it dubbed if you want to but you have to admit the original is the best."

You can change that to basically anything (anti-sub, anti-dub, music preference, character likes, whatever) but I used that example because that's close to a actual conversation that I have had before.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:37 am

Akira wrote:snip
Probably the truest thing I've seen regarding Super, amazing job Akira. As dario03 touched upon, the whole "you only like cuz you saw it first" is one of the most annoying shit, it's like maybe they just like it better.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:13 am

Pretty much everything a fan ever said ignoring an important aspect.

A Real-Life situation in all topics.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:31 am

Does this not count?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The Japanese logo for Dragon Ball GT is just....off. It's always bugged me, cause GT is actually what introduced me to sub Dragon Ball, but well, of anything the original funi dub did right for GT, it was fixing up that logo in a smaller way. It didn't need the metal edges on the GT lettering, but it fixed the weird way the DRAGON BALL part of the title looked which was very uneven and the main issue and made it look better cohesively. The original DB anime logo is fine and the Dragon Ball Z one is a thing of beauty to me every time I see it and see how much less awkward it is than GT's...What happened? Why wasn't it fixed up?

Its not a bad design idea (from Toriyama, even) as evidenced by the fixing up Funi did for their version (and probably why they did so anyway...), just. What is up with how awkward those letters look?

Silly rant over :thumbup:

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:46 am

Let see
Sub Vs dub argument who cares you like sub good for you you like dub good for you no need to make it some dick contest
Rof arc the worst arc of the franchise was literally a bad fan fiction coming to life
Gohan treatment in super/people defending that treatment by going hurr durr he no fighter shit
Mistreatment of the cast in super
Goku's character lately
Pilaf gang
Food gags
Piss poor fight choreography in super
The music in super
Almost everything in super
Broly hate in the fandom
Gt hate.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:32 am

Akira wrote:What grinds my gears? Well, you asked, so here goes..

-Made up equations, power tiers charts, random assigned number comparisons between characters from different eras of the series, all for the purpose of what? Hoping to gain some sort of validation for your personal need to view the entire series as one big list of power and character names/forms? It used to be contained to its own designated thread for the most part, but you can not click on a single thread that doesn't degrade (and quite quickly too) into "Here's what I have.. Character X 6, Character Y 9, Character Z 26 etc.." Or "If Character X was to fight Character Y as Super Saiyan whatever form, then X > Y, therefore Character Z from three story arcs prior to this must be at the same level, and if we go there, then you can validate my personal thinking on how this has to be for me to enjoy it!"

-Any variation of this: "Dragonball Super sux because it doesn't follow my power charts that I spent years making prior to its release. Even though it follows closely to the original formula of world building and expansion, character interactions, martial arts action, and a healthy dose of gags, it isn't what my expectations were. Therefore, I'll become the never ending nag with snide remarks in every thread I come across to make my dis-satisfaction known to all. Even if it slowly improves as it goes along, and I keep watching a pirated version of it regardless of my hate, nothing in it makes any sense whatsoever. I'll hand wave any in-universe explanations away as nonsense rather than participate in any discussion about it. My goal is to rob anyone who does enjoy it from being able to do so. It isn't "serious" like Z was, and I will ignore the fact that I watched Z when I was much younger, and deny the fact that it hasn't changed, but that I grew older, so the gags and such seem more prevalent, when in reality it is very similar to the previous series (Z) and its final story arc (Buu Saga). Which itself was already the source of endless, not so well explained plot points and unclear power scaling, as well as ushered in the return of of more gags, long before Kai or Super even existed. Finally, I will ignore that half the Freeza fight in Z was interrupted repeatedly by Bulma and Ginyu gags, and Chi-chi, Roshi, Yajerobi and Puar acting like they were going to head to namek too. I will especially look back on the Cell Games with extra rosy tinted glasses, and gloss over the fact that the pacing of the whole tournament was nearly ruined by all the cut-aways to Mr. Satan and his cronies talking about "tricks" to the announcer with the broken microphone, and pretend like Super is the only series to have a bunch of time padding nonsense interjected via the Pilaf gang as if that hasn't always been the case all along."

-That there even exists animosity between fans over the subject of English voice overs vs. Original Japanese with English Subtitles. Seriously? I don't consider myself "belonging" to either "faction". I like the voice casts of both versions, they are fairly interchangeable for me. Know how I watched it a lot of times in the past? English voices with the Japanese subtitles turned on for context and contrast between the versions. I kinda understand if you don't like hearing a foreign language track that you can't comprehend what they are saying, but bashing each other back and forth, by getting arrogant or defensive is just silly. I can easily watch and enjoy either version, just depends who I'm watching it with. If you adhere to one version, and slam others, or rag on the voice cast of the other, then shame on you, you're missing out, both sides. The more versions you watch, the more you come to appreciate some of the subtleties and differences. Not all of them are good, but not all are totally horrible either. Sometimes the jokes are funnier when translated and altered slightly with a western audience in mind. Sometimes the dialog is not quite up to snuff with the original intent, and you need those Japanese subtitles for better understanding of a certain scene. Sometimes they say something rather basic or bland in the original that isn't plot or power relevant, and the english version adds a nice little something there that enhances the scene in a different way that you end up liking. My point is, you can come to enjoy the story, on the whole, much better if you open up and check out all the versions that you are able to understand in one way or another. Don't peg yourself into one category or the other, give that other version another shot, you might find something in it that you end up liking, or a plot detail that you never fully appreciated before.

-Any discussions about what is "canon" or not. There is no official canon. Pick the stuff you enjoy, and add it to whatever you accept as part of the story. There's a bunch of movies, specials, versions of the TV series and mangas. Pick stuff a la carte, and piece together what you accept or like, or think "fits". Just don't ask me to validate it for you. (especially if it involves Brolly :lolno: Kidding, if you like that character, it's cool.) I won't ask you validate what I like either, deal?

*Please Note: It is not my intent to offend anyone, nor is this directed at any one person specifically. These are generalizations of things that bother me, and since the topic title asked as much, I responded honestly and openly. If you didn't have an Attention Deficit episode over my mega post, could tell where I was being sarcastic, and where I was being serious, then thumbs up and kudos to you. I hope maybe something in there even made you chuckle perhaps.

Hopping off the soap box now, and I won't be rude and drop the microphone. I'll put it back on the base stand for whomever goes next. :mrgreen:
Amazing post! I agree with everything you said.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:10 am

One of my biggest issues is that people straight up hating a character just because he is not "strong and badass" anymore. Particularly Gohan, where i usually heard people ranting something like "Gohan sucks now because he ain't the super-duper strong badass Ultimate SSJ2 Teen Gohan anymore". Some guys here also have a habit of constantly saying negative things about Super which really adds nothing new or interesting to the discussion and think they're "funny" by making a lame Gohan or Yamcha joke. I understand the criticism for the show, but saying the same thing over and over again without adding anything new to add to the discussion isn't worth or interesting to read. And the worse thing is that they're acting like it's a fact no one can deny.

Another thing is that people picking an in-between shot in a Super episode and comparing it to a key shot from Movie 12 or any other DBZ movie. Canon debates is also one of the most annoying thing, and is main reason why i left the Super manga thread.

I'm a guy who used to like to discuss power level stuff with people before, but the more i see people over-complicating stuff. (Especially in the Super Power Level Thread) like "This make 0 sense because it contradicts my made-up power levels, bla bla bla". "Y needs to be X% stronger than Z in order for him to win", the more i lost interest to discussing with such people.
Akira wrote:[A Great Post]
Entirely agreed with the second paragraph, i'll use that as my sig if that's okay.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:16 am

People calling Cell Arc Gohan a teenager is up there.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:32 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:People calling Cell Arc Gohan a teenager is up there.
Totally. Unless there are parts of the world that treat a nine-years/ten-years old as a teenager, calling him a legit teenager is nonsense. Video-games contribute to this erroneously cause in a level that grinds my very gears.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:50 am

Akira wrote:[spoiler]Any variation of this: "Dragonball Super sux because it doesn't follow my power charts that I spent years making prior to its release. Even though it follows closely to the original formula of world building and expansion, character interactions, martial arts action, and a healthy dose of gags, it isn't what my expectations were. Therefore, I'll become the never ending nag with snide remarks in every thread I come across to make my dis-satisfaction known to all. Even if it slowly improves as it goes along, and I keep watching a pirated version of it regardless of my hate, nothing in it makes any sense whatsoever. I'll hand wave any in-universe explanations away as nonsense rather than participate in any discussion about it. My goal is to rob anyone who does enjoy it from being able to do so. It isn't "serious" like Z was, and I will ignore the fact that I watched Z when I was much younger, and deny the fact that it hasn't changed, but that I grew older, so the gags and such seem more prevalent, when in reality it is very similar to the previous series (Z) and its final story arc (Buu Saga). Which itself was already the source of endless, not so well explained plot points and unclear power scaling, as well as ushered in the return of of more gags, long before Kai or Super even existed. Finally, I will ignore that half the Freeza fight in Z was interrupted repeatedly by Bulma and Ginyu gags, and Chi-chi, Roshi, Yajerobi and Puar acting like they were going to head to namek too. I will especially look back on the Cell Games with extra rosy tinted glasses, and gloss over the fact that the pacing of the whole tournament was nearly ruined by all the cut-aways to Mr. Satan and his cronies talking about "tricks" to the announcer with the broken microphone, and pretend like Super is the only series to have a bunch of time padding nonsense interjected via the Pilaf gang as if that hasn't always been the case all along."[/spoiler]
You are now one of my favorite users on Kanzenshuu.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:53 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:People calling Cell Arc Gohan a teenager is up there.
I partially blame the video games for often times labeling him "Teen Gohan". I mean, seriously, he was like what, 10 or 11 years old at the time of the Cell Games? I'm just estimating in my head, but he was 4 years old at the Raditz part when Bulma asked him how old he was, correct? Trained by Piccolo for a year, so he was 5 when they battled Nappa and Vegeta, and all the Namek stuff took place during that year or so. They waited a year for Goku to return from Yardrat, so 6 years old (roughly) when Trunks showed up and killed Freeza and Kold. They trained for three years in preparation for the androids, so roughly 9 years old by the time #19 and #20 showed up? Then he trained in the Room of Space and Time with Goku for a year, putting him at 10 years old at the Cell Games. Or possibly 11, depending on when his birthday is, and what month they were in by that time. (I've never really kept up with specifics of what days/months/years they are at in the series timeline at any given point) Point being, he'd have to be 13 or older to really be considered as "Teen" Gohan, wouldn't he? Maybe one of you who has the specific dates on hand can say for sure, but I'm thinking 10 or 11 is pretty close to the mark.

So yeah, I agree, that's always kinda bugged me too.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:10 am

Based on Herms' History Thread, Gohan was born on Age 757. Cell Games happened on Age 767, so Gohan was 10 in the CG (Physically 11 due to RoSaT trip). So yeah, it kinda feels odd for them to call him "Teen Gohan".