Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:29 am

So, possibly the biggest statement we have of Broly's power is that he "might be stronger than Beerus." Another statement we have is that MUI (Initial) Goku is a bit stronger than Beerus (probably not by a lot). And on top of that, Broly went from weaker than Base Vegeta to close to MUI (Initial) Goku in the film, so of course he would surpass MUI (Angry) in a day or two of battle and training, maybe taking even less time. The thing that makes me angry is that, while Broly sounds like a great character, it's idiotic that Ultra Instinct was surpassed one arc/film later.

Heck, there wasn't a Saiyan transformation superior to Blue up until two Arcs later, with Rose, and Blue was one of most underwhelming transformations power-wise. Ultra Instinct was a power that not even all of the GoDs had mastered, not to mention the fact that Goku wasn't the first Saiyan to permanently surpass Beerus.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:48 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You might want to change that "I hate Wrathful" or whatever into "I hate dragonball wikia" because that is mostly on them. I'm not an avid visitor to that site but I heard that the site stacks lies and misinformation like bricks. You should avoid reading it if you dont want to get pissed off and I dont say that unkindly or in a "lol you got triggered" way.
Hmmm you know that's not a bad idea. But the site does have some good info. But your advice is sound. :think:
It should really ok nly be used for basic information that you may have forgotten or may want a refresher on. If you seek in-depth information about DB, then DB Wiki isn't the place go go.
Indeed.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:34 am

Wasn't DB Wikia the site that preferred FUNi version over the original one or it was another site?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:03 am

I dunno. But I don't mind the funimation dub.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Tian wrote:Wasn't DB Wikia the site that preferred FUNi version over the original one or it was another site?
Dragon Ball wiki not only uses Funi dub names and script changes, it treats everything like it's 1 continuity, and it's straight-up just full of wrong information and headcanon. It's only useful in an incredibly general sense, and even then fucks up some major information.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Tian wrote:Wasn't DB Wikia the site that preferred FUNi version over the original one or it was another site?
Dragon Ball wiki not only uses Funi dub names and script changes, it treats everything like it's 1 continuity, and it's straight-up just full of wrong information and headcanon. It's only useful in an incredibly general sense, and even then fucks up some major information.
They still include the Japanese names. The wikia has gotten a lot better over the past few years from what I’ve seen

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Shaddy wrote:
They still include the Japanese names. The wikia has gotten a lot better over the past few years from what I’ve seen
They also tend to post theories that aren't really proven.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:29 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: They still include the Japanese names. The wikia has gotten a lot better over the past few years from what I’ve seen
I think that's giving it a lot of credit. Either way, it's inconsistent enough and the dub names have enough issues that they would be better off just going with the Japanese versions anyway. Typically an encyclopedic resource should be as true to the original source as possible. Most other wikias don't have these issues.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:00 am

Shaddy wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote: They still include the Japanese names. The wikia has gotten a lot better over the past few years from what I’ve seen
I think that's giving it a lot of credit. Either way, it's inconsistent enough and the dub names have enough issues that they would be better off just going with the Japanese versions anyway. Typically an encyclopedic resource should be as true to the original source as possible. Most other wikias don't have these issues.
Bulbapedia uses the English names for Pokémon.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:12 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Shaddy wrote:
But Bulbapedia is very good.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:15 am

Hulk10 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Shaddy wrote:
I know, but my point is primarily using dub names (while still clearly having the Japanese names right underneath) shouldn’t be a point against it.

I’m not saying the dB wiki is good but after browsing a bit the other day after not going on there in years, it has improved a lot.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:19 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I know, but my point is primarily using dub names (while still clearly having the Japanese names right underneath) shouldn’t be a point against it.

I’m not saying the dB wiki is good but after browsing a bit the other day after not going on there in years, it has improved a lot.
True. My poor opinion of it stems from the fact that there are some things on it that I don't agree with. Like SSJ4 normally being inaccessible at will due to English subbed version having Vegeta say that Goku's case was special since he could use the form whenever he wanted. And the idea that because the Ikari and Super Saiyan C Type are stacked together makes the Super Saiyan C Type a hybrid form.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Fans describing the story as having an ensemble cast. No, characters having their spotlight moments or doing stuff in the plot do not make a cast an esemble one.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:57 pm

I'm sick of people on this forum writing derisive posts whenever I say SSJ4 is as powerful as SSJB. I'm also sick of how derisive people are on the dragon ball wikia.

Frankly I'm sick of the way the wikia is run and I'm sick of never getting any headway with the staff of the dragon ball wikia. :evil:

Another thing that I'm sick of it how the debate over the 'canonicity' of Dragon Ball GT is still going on...……..

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:28 am

People saying that Dragon Ball's core audience isn't children. Even though the creator of Dragon Ball has outright said that he writes Dragon Ball stories for young boys.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:38 am

Lord Beerus wrote:People saying that Dragon Ball's core audience isn't children. Even though the creator of Dragon Ball has outright said this he writes Dragon Ball stories for young boys.
In Poland there is popular term for anime "chinese cartoons" used by people who don't like anime but also anime fans to piss off anime fanboys. It's VERY common in DB community that is really bad in our country.

And they don't even argue that anime is japanese, not chinese. What makes them mad and go crazy is "cartoon" part because "Tom & Jerry is a cartoon, cartoons are for kids, but anime are more mature and for adults! DB is not a cartoon".
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:46 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Fans describing the story as having an ensemble cast. No, characters having their spotlight moments or doing stuff in the plot do not make a cast an esemble one.
Hallelujah!

Here's something that grinds my gears: using YouTube comments as a metric for anything, good or bad.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:48 am

Lord Beerus wrote:People saying that Dragon Ball's core audience isn't children. Even though the creator of Dragon Ball has outright said that he writes Dragon Ball stories for young boys.

I can't help but wonder if children are the franchise's intended core audience, but that in reality, adults make up the majority. Reason I bring this up is because of what people have observed when going to see DBS:Broly. It was mostly guys ages 20-50.
Not saying they should shift gears and cater to grown-ups now, though.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:52 am

Michsi wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:People saying that Dragon Ball's core audience isn't children. Even though the creator of Dragon Ball has outright said that he writes Dragon Ball stories for young boys.

I can't help but wonder if children are the franchise's intended core audience, but that in reality, adults make up the majority. Reason I bring this up is because of what people have observed when going to see DBS:Broly. It was mostly guys ages 20-50.
Not saying they should shift gears and cater to grown-ups now, though.
I'd be interested in that as well. My guess is that the audience skews older than the intended target in part because the audience grew up with the franchise.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:53 am

I disagree with that assessment. Just because I intend to write a story about a serial killer that is to be watched by kids and kids end up watching it it is still not a kid's show/book. Same for Dragon Ball or every other thing. Just as I don't see Spongebob as a children's cartoon or at least not particularly. Not everything that is officially branded as x SHOULD BE branded as x. Dragon Ball starts off as relatively harmless but I would not want a 5 year old to watch the really extreme stuff of it. So, yeah, call Dragon Ball a "children show" if you want but the specifically define what you mean by children because children so young that it is hard to say how from a mere coping perspective this might turn out might not be the audience to be wished for. Yes, there are other aspects of education but that does not mean one should be too lose with the consumption of media stuff just because "there are other factors". It is all about a smart approach.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"