Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by precita » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:35 am

I still view everything of the original Bardock special canon, and just ignore the change in his armor design when he confronts Freeza in space.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:27 am

precita wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:35 am I still view everything of the original Bardock special canon, and just ignore the change in his armor design when he confronts Freeza in space.

It still fits into the continuity of Z and Kai. Just not Super.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:44 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:27 am
precita wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:35 am I still view everything of the original Bardock special canon, and just ignore the change in his armor design when he confronts Freeza in space.

It still fits into the continuity of Z and Kai. Just not Super.
Is there any reason Bardock losing his crew to Dodoria couldn't still have happened? We didn't see any of it in the Broly movie, but that doesn't mean it still couldn't be a thing.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:21 am

If you're preferred method to watch Z is with the Singles, than you know you need a substitute for 1-67. If it's not the Dtagon Boxes, it sucks or is incomplete, but Volume 2 is expensive as all hell. What really grinds my gears is that had the Level 2 Blu Ray's came out, which they apparently already finished, they would have been cancelled on episode 67... That would have been so perfect, it'd line up as perfectly as it ever could be.

I realize the last 10 ten minutes of episode 67 would have been duplicated, but still.

Boured

Post by Boured » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:49 pm

Funimation's Home Video Releases.

Don't believe I need to elaborate.
"If you'll let me, I'll never leave you."

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:09 pm

I think the canon now is that both Minus and some version of the Bardock special happened. We see Bardock’s revolt in both the manga and the Broly movie, so we know that still happened. If he is wearing his bloody red bandana in those shots then that would confirm he still lost his team the same way. Every event of the Bardock special that isn’t directly contradicted by Minus probably happened, including Bardock seeing the future. You really only have to cut out the scenes of Goku.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:43 pm

DBGT Transformation (GBA game) not being in the style of Legacy of Goku. Seeing how the game covered the adventure part of GT, it would only be fitting if it had that style of gameplay. Why did Webfoot change it into beat 'em up after perfecting the formula in Buu's Fury...

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Re: things that grind your gears

Post by KPike87 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:26 pm

I love DBZA, I really do think it's legitimately funny, but I HATE how every clip of this show seemingly on YouTube has comments just filled with TFS quotes. I would love to hear some more original humor, or better yet people discussing the scene. It's almost as annoying as, "Goku bad dad, Piccolo real dad. plz clap". Seriously, almost EVERY clip of Z has it.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:15 am

KPike87 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:26 pm I love DBZA, I really do think it's legitimately funny, but I HATE how every clip of this show seemingly on YouTube has comments just filled with TFS quotes. I would love to hear some more original humor, or better yet people discussing the scene. It's almost as annoying as, "Goku bad dad, Piccolo real dad. plz clap". Seriously, almost EVERY clip of Z has it.
That's what I said lol. Piccolo is really characterized in the story as Goku's rival and Gohan's older brother figure. Gohan has a different outlook and role for them. Piccolo isn't his dad. Gohan spends more time with Goku than with Piccolo despite the fact that Goku has been dead for so many years in the show. Have you ever seen Piccolo having dinner with Gohan or fishing with him? It's just not accurate to the real characterizations. That's ok in the context of Abridged but not in the context of discussing parts of the actual show.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:28 pm

KPike87 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:26 pm I love DBZA, I really do think it's legitimately funny, but I HATE how every clip of this show seemingly on YouTube has comments just filled with TFS quotes. I would love to hear some more original humor, or better yet people discussing the scene. It's almost as annoying as, "Goku bad dad, Piccolo real dad. plz clap". Seriously, almost EVERY clip of Z has it.
This for sure. It's a lot like going on Youtube to listen to some 80s music only to find "lmao JoJo" in the comment section. Like... come on. We get it, you like it. That doesn't mean you should be obnoxious about it, and it certainly doesn't mean you should go posting the same five jokes everywhere you can over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Also, why was the capital T removed from the thread title anyway? What purpose did that change serve?
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:53 pm

Alruneia wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:28 pm
This for sure. It's a lot like going on Youtube to listen to some 80s music only to find "lmao JoJo" in the comment section. Like... come on. We get it, you like it. That doesn't mean you should be obnoxious about it, and it certainly doesn't mean you should go posting the same five jokes everywhere you can over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Fanatic weeaboo anime fans were a mistake, they ruin the fun for everyone else looking to just have a good time

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:40 pm

... but why are you even reading the comments underneath a YouTube video of a random scene? It’s not like you’re going there for discussion. How is it harmful to anyone or anything? It’s literally just a comment void people shout into, and you have to go out of your way to scroll down and look. You can just... not do that!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:36 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:40 pm ... but why are you even reading the comments underneath a YouTube video of a random scene? It’s not like you’re going there for discussion. How is it harmful to anyone or anything? It’s literally just a comment void people shout into, and you have to go out of your way to scroll down and look. You can just... not do that!
What do you mean why? Why not?

People go to youtube for discussion all the time. Sure it may not be in-depth, but engaging with other fans is still a good thing. And running into the same 5 quotes on there or anywhere else is just frankly annoying. I dont see what your issue is.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:07 pm

mainly because youtube comments are almost aways the worst case scenario i think. of course there's nothing wrong with engaging in them, but you have to remember everyone can have a youtube account, they aren't moderated, and a lot of the people who are commenting are a lot younger and may not even in the double digits age wise. so there has to be a lot of give and take with it, and to me, it seems kinda pointless to get annoyed at cus it's not gonna change, even if a lot of stuff is annoying.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:01 pm

youtube comments may be the lowest form of interaction on earth, but it is a solid answer to the topic's question. a lot of us have our gears grinded by tfs fans flooding comments to the point where a discussion cant happen, or going to cons and trying to force talk about tfs into every dbz panel, even when the panelist says no

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:56 pm

dragonmagico wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:01 pm youtube comments may be the lowest form of interaction on earth, but it is a solid answer to the topic's question. a lot of us have our gears grinded by tfs fans flooding comments to the point where a discussion cant happen, or going to cons and trying to force talk about tfs into every dbz panel, even when the panelist says no
I think the panel example is a legitimate concern/grind. You literally can't do anything about it*, and it's thrust upon you and the rest of the audience totally awkwardly and irresponsibly.

Believe me when I say I'm making no real judgement on "the YouTube audience", but looking for discussion and even remotely deep interactions with fellow fans there seems a lot like using a screwdriver to hit a nail. Yeah, you can technically do it, but that's not really what either of them were meant for, and there are far better ways/avenues/conduits to effectively, efficiently, and enjoyably do what you're trying to do.

(Well, the conventions can do something about it: literally every live Q&A panel should be pre-received and pre-approved questions from the audience. Pass out forms in line to be dropped off on the way in, or for Dende's sake, it's the modern era just use a damn hashtag. These aren't hardcore professional investigative journalism panels, so just weed out the bullshit.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:40 am

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:56 pm
dragonmagico wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:01 pm youtube comments may be the lowest form of interaction on earth, but it is a solid answer to the topic's question. a lot of us have our gears grinded by tfs fans flooding comments to the point where a discussion cant happen, or going to cons and trying to force talk about tfs into every dbz panel, even when the panelist says no
I think the panel example is a legitimate concern/grind. You literally can't do anything about it*, and it's thrust upon you and the rest of the audience totally awkwardly and irresponsibly.

Believe me when I say I'm making no real judgement on "the YouTube audience", but looking for discussion and even remotely deep interactions with fellow fans there seems a lot like using a screwdriver to hit a nail. Yeah, you can technically do it, but that's not really what either of them were meant for, and there are far better ways/avenues/conduits to effectively, efficiently, and enjoyably do what you're trying to do.

(Well, the conventions can do something about it: literally every live Q&A panel should be pre-received and pre-approved questions from the audience. Pass out forms in line to be dropped off on the way in, or for Dende's sake, it's the modern era just use a damn hashtag. These aren't hardcore professional investigative journalism panels, so just weed out the bullshit.)
I totally agree that Youtube isn't the prime example of humanity but I think that it's pretty valid to make the point that TFS super fans are a problem. They view all the Dragon Ball content they consume under the lens of an abridged series and it's not that bad if they keep it to themselves but instead they insist that DBZA is better than the actual thing and then try to debate that the overall show is better. It also tends to be casual fans who have watched more of DBZA than the actual show who get into these debates. Its honestly madness. Then they keep asking the VAs to support a fan abridged series because they see it as an official product. That's genuinely delusional to me and I don't get it.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:09 am

Like last week or something I told someone on the forums that episodes 1-39 of Z on the PS4 were the Level Set remasters, as that's how it was when I last watched those episodes back in August. I go to update all my PS4 games just now and decide to check it out just because it was on my mind, and it was changed to the cropped Blu Ray season sets. I don't know what happened, why the Level Set episodes stayed up for me much longer than everyone else when I consistently did system updates, but now I'm upset.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:32 pm

Spoilers. When I’m subscribed to a channel for their other content, OR when YouTube randomly recommends me a video with spoilers in the title and/or thumbnail. It feels like it’s not an option to not get spoiled. :(

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:53 am

KPike87 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:09 am Like last week or something I told someone on the forums that episodes 1-39 of Z on the PS4 were the Level Set remasters, as that's how it was when I last watched those episodes back in August. I go to update all my PS4 games just now and decide to check it out just because it was on my mind, and it was changed to the cropped Blu Ray season sets. I don't know what happened, why the Level Set episodes stayed up for me much longer than everyone else when I consistently did system updates, but now I'm upset.
This is what grinds my gears with subscription services. Not only you have to choose multiple subscriptions based on the content and the content varies or some is unavailable because of the US vs Europe rights and localizations...
But content getting uploaded, or changed (at least, Saint Seiya on Netflix was updated with Japanese dub, which makes the series at least watchable, even tough doesn't improve it overall at all) and deleted after limited run... and no, the classic Saint Seiya and OAVs that are good are not available in Czech Republic on Netflix compared to the rest of the world.

So the dream of just turning on TV or PS and watch whatever I want without hassle is still a dream. Which leads me to buy the stuff I really like on Bluray anyway or sometimes, like in case of Mandalorian, shamefully pirating it to be able to watch the series on release and not get ruined by spoilers. And also, don't know why, but HBO GO is basically streaming the licensed non-HBO content as they present it on the actual channel and in subpar quality and HBO watermark.
So getting less and subpar content for money in this day and age, compared to illegal streaming sites like 10 years back, is something I can't wrap my head around.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88