Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 am

Well it is similar to my eyes.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

User avatar
SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:07 pm

How Saiyans are so mortal, it makes no sense at all and it's pretty stupid imo.

Goku can literally destroy the Earth or the sun with the flick of his wrist and tank those same attckas without even flinching, yet is susceptible to trivial things such as lack of air and Earthly diseases. For instace, if Goku and Beerus fought again the battle couldn't leave the planet due to Goku's inability to survive without oxygen. Similarly, if he wanted to travel to another planet, he couldn't even though he has more then enough speed to do it.

User avatar
Lunatic Fringe
Regular
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:14 am

Whenever I try to search a dubbed clip of a certain scene from the series on YouTube, I swear that every single available version of said clip has to have the original OST swapped for a piece of Bruce Faulconer’s track. :thumbdown:

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Shaddy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:53 pm

The entirety of Battle of Gods is uploaded on youtube twice and still has it's music replaced by Faulconer droning.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
DanielSSJ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:13 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by DanielSSJ » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:37 pm

On a related note, if you're going to upload a clip from one of the new movies or Super and replace the soundtrack with music from the Faulconer OST, could you at least say so in the title? Like, can we not do this, please?

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Forte224 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:09 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:On a related note, if you're going to upload a clip from one of the new movies or Super and replace the soundtrack with music from the Faulconer OST, could you at least say so in the title? Like, can we not do this, please?
It looks like you may have commented on that video eh? Hehe. I agree though. Acting like Faulconer is the default track or an official track in any way is just ridiculous.

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here
Posts: 2010
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:18 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:How Saiyans are so mortal, it makes no sense at all and it's pretty stupid imo.

Goku can literally destroy the Earth or the sun with the flick of his wrist and tank those same attckas without even flinching, yet is susceptible to trivial things such as lack of air and Earthly diseases. For instace, if Goku and Beerus fought again the battle couldn't leave the planet due to Goku's inability to survive without oxygen. Similarly, if he wanted to travel to another planet, he couldn't even though he has more then enough speed to do it.
And it grinds my gears that fans want to turn Goku into freaking Superman. Keep the "trivial" inconviniences and weeks for him.
"The Time of Birth has Come, I Am The Remedy of Eternity.”
“The Time of Crowning has Come, I Am The Begining of Eternity."
"The Time of Parting has Come, I Am Who Lets Go of The World"

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17957
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:21 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:How Saiyans are so mortal, it makes no sense at all and it's pretty stupid imo.

Goku can literally destroy the Earth or the sun with the flick of his wrist and tank those same attckas without even flinching, yet is susceptible to trivial things such as lack of air and Earthly diseases. For instace, if Goku and Beerus fought again the battle couldn't leave the planet due to Goku's inability to survive without oxygen. Similarly, if he wanted to travel to another planet, he couldn't even though he has more then enough speed to do it.
He couldn't always do those things. I have no idea why this would grind your gears.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:How Saiyans are so mortal, it makes no sense at all and it's pretty stupid imo.

Goku can literally destroy the Earth or the sun with the flick of his wrist and tank those same attckas without even flinching, yet is susceptible to trivial things such as lack of air and Earthly diseases. For instace, if Goku and Beerus fought again the battle couldn't leave the planet due to Goku's inability to survive without oxygen. Similarly, if he wanted to travel to another planet, he couldn't even though he has more then enough speed to do it.
And it grinds my gears that fans want to turn Goku into freaking Superman. Keep the "trivial" inconviniences and weeks for him.
He already is Superman, if not more so in terms of power.
ABED wrote:He couldn't always do those things. I have no idea why this would grind your gears.
And it's always grinded my gears.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17957
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:26 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
ABED wrote:He couldn't always do those things. I have no idea why this would grind your gears.
And it's always grinded my gears.
But the question is why?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:01 pm

ABED wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
ABED wrote:He couldn't always do those things. I have no idea why this would grind your gears.
And it's always grinded my gears.
But the question is why?
Explained above.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17957
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:01 pm

Still doesn't explain why it grinds your gears. Since when does power grant you the ability to survive in the vacuum of space?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:05 pm

ABED wrote:Still doesn't explain why it grinds your gears. Since when does power grant you the ability to survive in the vacuum of space?
A lot stuff in this thread is silly, and I never said it did, although in some cases it does.

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here
Posts: 2010
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:11 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote: Explained above.
You didn't explain why Goku being strong shouldn't make him susceptible to "trivial" inconviniences, like lack of oxygen?
"The Time of Birth has Come, I Am The Remedy of Eternity.”
“The Time of Crowning has Come, I Am The Begining of Eternity."
"The Time of Parting has Come, I Am Who Lets Go of The World"

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17957
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:16 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
ABED wrote:Still doesn't explain why it grinds your gears. Since when does power grant you the ability to survive in the vacuum of space?
A lot stuff in this thread is silly, and I never said it did, although in some cases it does.
When has it granted anyone the ability to survive without oxygen?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote: Explained above.
You didn't explain why Goku being strong shouldn't make him susceptible to "trivial" inconviniences, like lack of oxygen?
Maybe you should take notes from your avatar and get some glasses or maybe read in-between the lines. :roll:
ABED wrote:When has it granted anyone the ability to survive without oxygen?
Beerus or any G.O.D would be a prime example, as I'm sure they lacked the inherent trait to survive in the vacuum of space and most likely inherited it from training and growing stronger with Whis or the angles. Likwise, it occurs frequently in stories outside of DB such as DC or Marvel comics or particularly series such as Seiya, Berserk, and various others.
Last edited by SaiyanGod117 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17957
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:20 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote: Explained above.
You didn't explain why Goku being strong shouldn't make him susceptible to "trivial" inconviniences, like lack of oxygen?
Maybe you should take notes from your avatar and get some glasses or maybe read in-between the lines. :roll:
We can discuss this and be polite, but you aren't explaining why this bugs you. Why does Goku having to breathe bother you? I'm not seeing the link between super strength and not needing oxygen.
Beerus or any G.O.D would be a prime example, as I'm sure they lacked the inherent trait to survive in the vacuum of space and most likely inherited it from training and growing stronger with Whis or the angles. Likwise, it occurs frequently in stories outside of DB such as DC or Marvel comics or particularly series such as Seiya, Berserk, and various others.
Stories outside of DB have no bearing on the issue, and you can't be sure since we aren't told they didn't have that trait inherently. They are gods. What about battle power grants the ability to no longer need oxygen?
Last edited by ABED on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:44 pm

ABED wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: You didn't explain why Goku being strong shouldn't make him susceptible to "trivial" inconviniences, like lack of oxygen?
Maybe you should take notes from your avatar and get some glasses or maybe read in-between the lines. :roll:
We can discuss this and be polite, but you aren't explaining why this bugs you. Why does Goku having to breathe bother you? I'm not seeing the link between super strength and not needing oxygen.
He came at me passive aggressively, therfore I did the same. Anyways, I literally stated it above, Goku has the power to destroy the universe yet can be killed if you dunk his head in a pool of water long enough, it's a juxtaposition I don't like. Maybe that makes him unique from all the OP protagonist, I just personally don't like it.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17957
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:56 pm

That's just a restatement, not an explanation. Why does having that sort of power mean he no longer needs oxygen? If he needed it when he was born, why not now? As far as we know, Freeza's ability to survive in space has no link to his battle power.

I saw nothing passive aggressive in the comment.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:34 pm

ABED wrote:That's just a restatement, not an explanation. Why does having that sort of power mean he no longer needs oxygen? If he needed it when he was born, why not now? As far as we know, Freeza's ability to survive in space has no link to his battle power.
A restatement of an explanation. Now, take my previous examples of G.O.D.S, they're suppose to be the absolute pinnacle of authority and among the mightiest in their respective universes. As well as expectedly suppose to be the first and last line of defense against universal threats, however, they wouldn't make for much a convincing G.O.D if they were practically vulnerable or powerless against common limitations such as needing air, susceptibility against diseases, and vulnerability against the elements or other various things. In which is the reason why, they no longer have these shortcomings when they become a G.O.D; moreover, while Goku isn't a G.O.D you could practically say he is a shadow to one due to how many things he shares in common with them. Furthermore, this limitation of him needing oxygen has proven almost fatal before such as his battle with Frieza twice and Beerus, likewise, with Vegeta in ROF. A limitation I thought they would gotten rid of with the advent of God Ki, but I guess not.
I saw nothing passive aggressive in the comment.
It seem liked it to me and I'm pretty sure it was.
ABED wrote:and you can't be sure since we aren't told they didn't have that trait inherently. They are gods. What about battle power grants the ability to no longer need oxygen?
I can be absolutely sure, as they weren't gods to begin with but more precisely mortals turned into gods. While it could be hypothesized that some of them could survive in space do to their anatomy, that most certainly isn't the case for all of them. As Whis had plans for either Goku or Vegeta to be next G.O.D after Beerus retires or dies and both their limitations of needing oxygen are well documented.
ABED wrote: What about battle power grants the ability to no longer need oxygen?
It's not so much about battle power, rather capability, I would say it's a mix of both for me.
ABED wrote:Stories outside of DB have no bearing on the issue,
I would say do IMO, considering DB is pretty much only series I've come across that has this absurd juxtaposition.
Last edited by SaiyanGod117 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post Reply