Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:20 am

Taking Dislike/Hating of Characters to Far.

Every Fan as a Right to Dislike or Like whatever character they want in any franchise. Fans can say why they do or not and even debate it, that is fine and all of this is the Right of any fan.

However Like I have seen to many times in other fandoms over the years in that of Comic Book, Star Wars, other Anime, TV, Movies and Recently that last few years in Dragon Ball, Fans can and have taken characters they don't like and seem to run with it Way to much and Way to hard. Even on other parts of the net it gets down right to almost bullying fans for even considering likely certain characters or concepts to them, that was the worst. I saw this way to much during the Run of Super with both original Characters but way to much with New ones. It lead to what seemed less enjoyment of the series and to much harping between fans.

No matter what you are into their will always be characters one does not like, their are one or two even in DB I am not that found of either, but their should always be a form of Respect and Knowing that while you may not like certain characters, those characters are liked by others that just wants the best for them, to enjoy and even talk/debate about them.

I think every fan has had this experience.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:43 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:20 am Taking Dislike/Hating of Characters to Far.

Every Fan as a Right to Dislike or Like whatever character they want in any franchise. Fans can say why they do or not and even debate it, that is fine and all of this is the Right of any fan.

However Like I have seen to many times in other fandoms over the years in that of Comic Book, Star Wars, other Anime, TV, Movies and Recently that last few years in Dragon Ball, Fans can and have taken characters they don't like and seem to run with it Way to much and Way to hard. Even on other parts of the net it gets down right to almost bullying fans for even considering likely certain characters or concepts to them, that was the worst. I saw this way to much during the Run of Super with both original Characters but way to much with New ones. It lead to what seemed less enjoyment of the series and to much harping between fans.

No matter what you are into their will always be characters one does not like, their are one or two even in DB I am not that found of either, but their should always be a form of Respect and Knowing that while you may not like certain characters, those characters are liked by others that just wants the best for them, to enjoy and even talk/debate about them.

I think every fan has had this experience.
Preach. I definitely had this experience, since my favourite character is a controversial villain amongst the fandom (as it should be), and honestly it is both funny and sad to see how grown adults can get mad at a simple fictional character.

Sometimes the inverse is also true. There are some people in very toxic fandoms that will downright insult and send death threats to writers if something bad happens to their favourite fictional character.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:35 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:43 amI definitely had this experience, since my favourite character is a controversial villain amongst the fandom.
This is surprising, as I've always thought he was considered one of the best villains in the franchise.
CJStriker_CBR wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:20 amFans can and have taken characters they don't like and seem to run with it Way to much and Way to hard.
The issue I have with this kind of thing is that a lot of it isn't based on anything. You'll see comments like "Character Y sucks" and that's it. I'm not expecting fans to write an essay about everything they like or dislike, but at least give a logical reason to why so even if we don't agree, I can at least see where you're coming from. I think fans of any product should move away from blind hate and instead move toward constructive criticism, as not only do you still get your point across, you're taken more seriously that way.

It's a shame that a lot of fan communities have not only become unpleasant to be in, they're also dangerous.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:02 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:35 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:43 amI definitely had this experience, since my favourite character is a controversial villain amongst the fandom.
This is surprising, as I've always thought he was considered one of the best villains in the franchise.
CJStriker_CBR wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:20 amFans can and have taken characters they don't like and seem to run with it Way to much and Way to hard.
The issue I have with this kind of thing is that a lot of it isn't based on anything. You'll see comments like "Character Y sucks" and that's it. I'm not expecting fans to write an essay about everything they like or dislike, but at least give a logical reason to why so even if we don't agree, I can at least see where you're coming from. I think fans of any product should move away from blind hate and instead move toward constructive criticism, as not only do you still get your point across, you're taken more seriously that way.

It's a shame that a lot of fan communities have not only become unpleasant to be in, they're also dangerous.
Controversial in the sense that he's well-written, because he did bad things but has interesting motivations. Let's just say that some people take the hate too far though.

I am not surprised. The Dragon Ball fandom can be so toxic. I still have bad memories of that period when everyone hated Ribrianne and copy pasted the same 10 jokes.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:00 am

Kokonoe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:59 am I hate the following:

People who use the new Broly movie as a means to shit over the original Broly or his movie. These people who never cared about Broly until now cannot merely enjoy their new movie. No, they have to go out of their way to use it to shit on the original as if this newer one is a modern marvel in terms of storytelling when both movies generally follow a very similar storytelling pattern and what really shines through is the action scenes, just like the original movie.

But regardless of how either side feels in this matter, the people who are using this new movie to shit on the original just for the sake of it are people I'll write off entirely at this point. Yeah it does piss me off and I'm tired of seeing this nonsense. I enjoy both Brolys, both movies and even if I didn't like the original Broly I wouldn't be going all bat shit insane on a forum trying to "destroy" the original one. I'd just be focusing on what I enjoy but I guess that's too much.
I am so happy to see that someone can actually give credits to both Brolys without downgrading one or another ~

I'm tired of blind hatred. If only the majority of fans knew how to step back and see things differently the fandom would be more healthy and peaceful. But sadly a lot of fans are biased, blind, senseless, hateful and stubborn.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:34 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:09 pm - Viz's half arsed treatment of the manga.
Funnily, if I'm not mistaken, Kanzenshuu supports Viz's releases for some reason.

Also, ARCOSIAN

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:39 am

The fellation of Beerus, he's not the strongest character ever in the series and he's not even the strongest Hakaishin. Several characters are outright said or implied to be vastly above him but people persist in acting as though the likes of UI Goku can MAYBE give him an okay fight at best. Ridiculous.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:58 am

Kokonoe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:59 am People who use the new Broly movie as a means to shit over the original Broly or his movie. These people who never cared about Broly until now cannot merely enjoy their new movie. No, they have to go out of their way to use it to shit on the original as if this newer one is a modern marvel in terms of storytelling when both movies generally follow a very similar storytelling pattern and what really shines through is the action scenes, just like the original movie.

But regardless of how either side feels in this matter, the people who are using this new movie to shit on the original just for the sake of it are people I'll write off entirely at this point. Yeah it does piss me off and I'm tired of seeing this nonsense. I enjoy both Brolys, both movies and even if I didn't like the original Broly I wouldn't be going all bat shit insane on a forum trying to "destroy" the original one. I'd just be focusing on what I enjoy but I guess that's too much.
It may come to surprise some of you Broly fans, but some of us who are hating on Old Broly have been doing it for well over a decade. Using the new movie to shit on him isn't any different from using his old movies and how bad they were.

Before this movie came out, we were hating on Broly for being a boring character with terrible motivation, representing everything DBZ gets shit on for by non-fans, and being yet another generic "evil psychopath for the sake of evil psychopathy." That's not even getting into what Second Coming did to the character.

I can and will hate on old Broly and his fans until it's expunged from the franchise, which will never happen, so I'm never not going to shit on that character.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:58 am

Aim wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:34 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:09 pm - Viz's half arsed treatment of the manga.
Funnily, if I'm not mistaken, Kanzenshuu supports Viz's releases for some reason.

I think they support Viz because it’s the official legal release of the manga

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:14 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:58 am
Kokonoe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:59 am People who use the new Broly movie as a means to shit over the original Broly or his movie. These people who never cared about Broly until now cannot merely enjoy their new movie. No, they have to go out of their way to use it to shit on the original as if this newer one is a modern marvel in terms of storytelling when both movies generally follow a very similar storytelling pattern and what really shines through is the action scenes, just like the original movie.

It may come to surprise some of you Broly fans, but some of us who are hating on Old Broly have been doing it for well over a decade. Using the new movie to shit on him isn't any different from using his old movies and how bad they were.

Before this movie came out, we were hating on Broly for being a boring character with terrible motivation, representing everything DBZ gets shit on for by non-fans, and being yet another generic "evil psychopath for the sake of evil psychopathy." That's not even getting into what Second Coming did to the character.

I can and will hate on old Broly and his fans until it's expunged from the franchise, which will never happen, so I'm never not going to shit on that character.
Agreed. I've hated Broly way before the Super movie came out. When I learned the new movie was about Broly, I was like "Seriously? You're bringing Broly back instead of coming up with a new villain?".

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:24 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:14 pm Agreed. I've hated Broly way before the Super movie came out. When I learned the new movie was about Broly, I was like "Seriously? You're bringing Broly back instead of coming up with a new villain?".
I had the same reaction up until I actually saw the new movie and found myself enjoying the new Broly significantly more. I've seen a bunch of people complain that he doesn't talk much while transformed, but they seem to be missing that he's basically DBZ's version of the Hulk (rather than Doomsday from DC, another character I hate) and the "he's only the real Broly when transformed" thing doesn't apply to the new Broly like the old one.

As far as I'm concerned, a relatable, sympathetic character who can't control their power is far more interesting a character than a generically evil douche who just hurts people because it's his fetish.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:26 pm

Ayt so you will hate on me because I am a fan of Broly Z... I mean why not, hating is so free ~

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:42 pm

Scientist Fu wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:26 pm Ayt so you will hate on me because I am a fan of Broly Z... I mean why not, hating is so free ~
Eh, my problem is more with his fans that take the dub line that his power is constantly growing as law and argue with everyone that he can beat literally anyone in the franchise or in any work of fiction if he fought them long enough. They're the same as the Hulk doofs who think he's infinitely strong and could eventually beat characters like Elder God Demonbane if he got "angry enough."

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:56 pm

I can't stand blind fanboys and blind haters myself so I hear ya ~

It is true that a lot of blind fanboys still think that Broly Z is the strongest character in the DBverse, which makes no sense at all.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:42 pm
Scientist Fu wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:26 pm Ayt so you will hate on me because I am a fan of Broly Z... I mean why not, hating is so free ~
Eh, my problem is more with his fans that take the dub line that his power is constantly growing as law and argue with everyone that he can beat literally anyone in the franchise or in any work of fiction if he fought them long enough. They're the same as the Hulk doofs who think he's infinitely strong and could eventually beat characters like Elder God Demonbane if he got "angry enough."
I haven’t seen any Broly fans say that in years though

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:05 pm

I can't fathom how anyone could think Broly is the strongest character in DB. Even if you are a Super hater and want to consider Super non-canon, Broly still isn't touching Kid Buu lol.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:02 pm

The only people i can see still thinking that way are folks who haven't really touched the series past 2005 lol. That's a very old world kinda philosophy to say the least.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:11 pm

Scientist Fu wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:56 pm I can't stand blind fanboys and blind haters myself so I hear ya ~

It is true that a lot of blind fanboys still think that Broly Z is the strongest character in the DBverse, which makes no sense at all.
I think that's over now but yeah i remember those days. I even saw people saying Broly could beat Omega Shenron. I mean stating he could beat top tier Z characters is already dumb as hell, but this goes even deeper.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:28 pm

How some purists(And I must REALLY stress the word "SOME", not "ALL", so the good people that are purists don't take this as a personal attack on them) look down upon dub fans and mock them. Vic stans butting in where they aren't wanted and making anime fans look bad.

Funimation refusing to give us a proper release of the series without any extraneous bullshit attached to it(fake widescreen, DNR, etc), Toei not showing any interest in the broadcast audio. The Ocean dub of Kai still not being released.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:39 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:11 pm
Scientist Fu wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:56 pm I can't stand blind fanboys and blind haters myself so I hear ya ~

I think that's over now but yeah i remember those days. I even saw people saying Broly could beat Omega Shenron. I mean stating he could beat top tier Z characters is already dumb as hell, but this goes even deeper.
Ya, actually it is not as widespread as it used to be. But what's more popular these days is the hate towards the old Broly ... I do see a lot of people loathing him because of how popular he is, which breaks my lil' heart. I really don't mind if people do not like him, that's not a problem at all, but those who spread their hate everytime they get the opportunity to hate on him is getting unbearable just like the blind fanboys who idolise him and talk nonsense to defend their character.

And it's not only about him, some other characters also suffer from the same kinds of problems but since they are not as popular as Broly we don't see the hate that much ( like Ribrianne and Kale etc).
Last edited by Scientist Fu on Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.