Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Gog wrote:Why is Super Saiyan, well blue? Was there ever a reason stated for the colour, because if its super saiyan with god ki, then would it at the very least have a golden aura?
It wouldn't, because it's a ki based transformation and the ki surrounding the saiyan is blue/yellow, therefore so is the hair lol

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:57 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
Gog wrote:Why is Super Saiyan, well blue? Was there ever a reason stated for the colour, because if its super saiyan with god ki, then would it at the very least have a golden aura?
It wouldn't, because it's a ki based transformation and the ki surrounding the saiyan is blue/yellow, therefore so is the hair lol
I know but, shouldn't super saiyan god super saiyan be you know have golden hair, or have blue sparks, prehaps the golden hair has a blue shade to it. But no just blue

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:59 pm

Gog wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
I know but, shouldn't super saiyan god super saiyan be you know have golden hair, or have blue sparks, prehaps the golden hair has a blue shade to it. But no just blue
Well SSJ has golden hair most likely because the ki surrounding is golden. Different ki, different color. Why blue? just an artistic choice I'm sure.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:40 pm

It's a new color so the audience knows that they've achieved a new power. Blue was (probably) specifically chosen because it fits in with the fire metaphor that SS transformations usually stick to.
Retired.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:44 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
It's a new color so the audience knows that they've achieved a new power. Blue was (probably) specifically chosen because it fits in with the fire metaphor that SS transformations usually stick to.
Eh, that works, makes the most sense as well

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:48 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:If all you want is just an imitation of the original version, then you should just watch the original version. Don't expect every dub sounding the same.
I know what you're getting at, but the same argument could be made of dubs in general. Hell, even accurate representations overall. You could say something like "hardcore fans will/should just watch the subs, we might as well make our own show out of it" & that in fact is what ends up happening. People take offense at official dubs representing themselves as "a way to watch the show instead of the version that exists/you've seen" whereas something like a fandub or a parody (like TFS) is praised because "Wow, look what these regular old folks, just like us, did to expand upon the show!" It's why the non-union VAs for RWBY, or again, stuff like DBZA, get way more Twitter followers & fans than the folks who work on legit dubs. (& FWIW, Kira Buckland sounds nothing like Maaya Sakamoto, although a few of the Abridged VAs are good sound-alikes)

That being said...while I do probably take it a bit too far...dubs are for language/regional differences. There's an argument to be made, by some people, that it's a localization, not a translation, & that takes away the "cultural feel" of a foreign product...but really, I dont think any one language is inherently worse than one another, but at the same time, generally speaking, many different choices that come from the same place (in this case, the director) should certainly bear similarities. Michael McConnohie's Seth (Street Fighter) is much lighter than Akio Otsuka, but it doesnt matter because the same folks chose them, & naturally they give a similar, authoritative vibe.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:25 am

mute_proxy wrote:Does anyone know where this image of SSBlue Goku with pupils came from? I thought it was from the first teaser for the movie but cant find anything https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XH63K58lKbs/maxresdefault.jpg
A fan created that during the period of time Resurrection F played in theaters. I was always a bit miffed with how it's consistently a top result in Google Images.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I like to think Toriyama though in something like that:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:28 am

Noah wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I like to think Toriyama though in something like that:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
If he went for that, then I'd be a happy women

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:38 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:If all you want is just an imitation of the original version, then you should just watch the original version. Don't expect every dub sounding the same.
I know what you're getting at, but the same argument could be made of dubs in general. Hell, even accurate representations overall. You could say something like "hardcore fans will/should just watch the subs, we might as well make our own show out of it" & that in fact is what ends up happening. People take offense at official dubs representing themselves as "a way to watch the show instead of the version that exists/you've seen" whereas something like a fandub or a parody (like TFS) is praised because "Wow, look what these regular old folks, just like us, did to expand upon the show!" It's why the non-union VAs for RWBY, or again, stuff like DBZA, get way more Twitter followers & fans than the folks who work on legit dubs. (& FWIW, Kira Buckland sounds nothing like Maaya Sakamoto, although a few of the Abridged VAs are good sound-alikes)

That being said...while I do probably take it a bit too far...dubs are for language/regional differences. There's an argument to be made, by some people, that it's a localization, not a translation, & that takes away the "cultural feel" of a foreign product...but really, I dont think any one language is inherently worse than one another, but at the same time, generally speaking, many different choices that come from the same place (in this case, the director) should certainly bear similarities. Michael McConnohie's Seth (Street Fighter) is much lighter than Akio Otsuka, but it doesnt matter because the same folks chose them, & naturally they give a similar, authoritative vibe.
To me, accurate translations are enough to make me feel like I'm watching the Japanese version. I'd be pretty bored if all voices were imitations of the Japanese version. As long as the voice fits the character and the acting is good as well, I'm fine with the performance.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Is it just me or something like raditz's dub voice would be a good Goku black voice for the dub?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:53 pm

kinisking wrote:Is it just me or something like raditz's dub voice would be a good Goku black voice for the dub?
I feel like it would be too close to what we got in Xenoverse 2

What I think they should do is cast Zamasu first, and then have Sean Schemmel sort of imitate that voice for Black.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:
kinisking wrote:Is it just me or something like raditz's dub voice would be a good Goku black voice for the dub?
I feel like it would be too close to what we got in Xenoverse 2

What I think they should do is cast Zamasu first, and then have Sean Schemmel sort of imitate that voice for Black.
Really? I think their voices are completely different.

That's a good idea.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:48 pm

kinisking wrote:Really? I think their voices are completely different.
It's not so much that I think Raditz and Black sound the same, but if you were to have Schemmel imitate Raditz (which I assumed was what you meant) it would still have that roughness in his voice, which is exactly what I didn't like about Black's English voice in Xenoverse 2.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Funnily enough, I defaulted to Tullece's English voice while watching Black in Super. I think the calm version of that voice would suit him well, but then you'd have the absolutely outrageous backlash from fans. "He's supposed to sound like Gokū!" "Tullece = Black confirmed!!!" :roll:
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Why is kid Buu the pure form, when their's already evil buu

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Gog wrote:Why is kid Buu the pure form, when their's already evil buu
Because Evil Boo isn't Pure Boo.
Retired.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
No, evil buu split off of fat buu. Pure evil, they outright stated that.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Gog wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
So? You're pulling out non-sequiturs here.
Retired.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Gog wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Because Evil Boo isn't Pure Boo.
So? You're pulling out non-sequiturs here.
Yeah, your right, I'll try something different.

Why is super Buu stronger than Goku?