Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:03 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Schemmel said in an interview that Sabat met Toriyama once and was actually instructed to *not* look at him. That's kind of wild, but it's also endearing.
If Toriyama had his way, he wouldn't just be wearing a gas mask in his self portraits, but also in real life at all times!

I do wonder, if there are questions, that are off-limits, when interviewing him though. I mean probably you'd be expected to talk about the most relevant subject at hand, if for example he had just finished the Jaco manga, but in general?

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Schemmel said in an interview that Sabat met Toriyama once and was actually instructed to *not* look at him. That's kind of wild, but it's also endearing.
This is quite surprising. Are all Manga authors like this? Why is Mr. Toriyama so unsocial?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:23 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
If Toriyama had his way, he wouldn't just be wearing a gas mask in his self portraits, but also in real life at all times!

I do wonder, if there are questions, that are off-limits, when interviewing him though. I mean probably you'd be expected to talk about the most relevant subject at hand, if for example he had just finished the Jaco manga, but in general?
I don't know what the practice is in Japan but as someone who's done interviews, you typically send someone the questions beforehand or at least let them read them an hour in advance at the latest to see if they're okay with it and make changes if somethings not sitting right with them.

Of course, there are different types of venues for interviews, some very pre-planned, others more on the spot so you can't always check beforehand. That and there could be cultural differences that I'm not aware of.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:
This is quite surprising. Are all Manga authors like this? Why is Mr. Toriyama so unsocial?
I guess Toriyama just wants to live life normal, and I think Dragon Ball becoming a literal worldwide phenomenal just further pushed him into his shell. I totally get it and given how vitriolic the fan base is, it is definitely for the best Toriyama is reclused the way he is.

Power Metal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Power Metal » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Is it ever stated that the set of SuperDBs that we've seen in the series is the only set?

I've been wondering about the possibility of a set for each pair of universes.
It just seems convenient that the one set we know of is shared between our universe and it's twin.
I do far more lurking than actual posting.

https://www.last.fm/user/AlexPowerMetal

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:09 pm

I totally get it and given how vitriolic the fan base is, it is definitely for the best Toriyama is reclused the way he is.
The fanbase as a whole?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:43 pm

This photo is what prompted my whole "We need a bad guy who doesn't dick around!" comments :P

When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:14 pm

But did he met him where? It seems Toriyama is a guy full of quirks, but It's not like he wasn't gone anywhere because of DB.

Found this image on Google:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Don't know which year is from, but you see him as a normal guy, probably answering questions from a interview.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Noah wrote:
But did he met him where? It seems Toriyama is a guy full of quirks, but It's not like he wasn't gone anywhere because of DB.

Found this image on Google:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Don't know which year is from, but you see him as a normal guy, probably answering questions from a interview.
IIRC, Wikipedia says it's from 1999.
ekrolo2 wrote:This photo is what prompted my whole "We need a bad guy who doesn't dick around!" comments :P

Does he have 8 Pokemon badges on the back of him ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:28 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Noah wrote: Found this image on Google:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

IIRC, Wikipedia says it's from 1999.
Pretty sure that's from a conference in Germany in 2003 or there about.
ekrolo2 wrote:This photo is what prompted my whole "We need a bad guy who doesn't dick around!" comments :P

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Does he have 8 Pokemon badges on the back of him ?
Whatever they are, there are only 6 of them.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:07 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Does he have 8 Pokemon badges on the back of him ?
They look like lucky charms cereal to me. Definitely not Pokemon badges.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:52 am

If Toei were to completely re-animate the second half of the Manga aka Z, being as faithful as possible, how many episodes do you guys think there should realistically be?

I only ask because I assume it'll be way shorter than the Kai we got and got me thinking what if they wanted to get the most of Kai on air so hence what we got.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If Toei were to completely re-animate the second half of the Manga aka Z, being as faithful as possible, how many episodes do you guys think there should realistically be?

I only ask because I assume it'll be way shorter than the Kai we got and got me thinking what if they wanted to get the most of Kai on air so hence what we got.
Totally redone from scratch? Assuming a fast pace, I think the entire series from Goku meeting Bulma to flying off with Oob could probably be done in under 150 episodes. Even when there's no filler, it's quite often events will be intentionally slowed to create artificial weight to a given situation. Assuming a hypothetical remake is as faithful to the manga as possible, it wouldn't use these techniques as much, since the Dragon Ball manga, even taking into account the fact that everyone reads at different speeds, moves very quickly.
Retired.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:03 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If Toei were to completely re-animate the second half of the Manga aka Z, being as faithful as possible, how many episodes do you guys think there should realistically be?

Totally redone from scratch? Assuming a fast pace, I think the entire series from Goku meeting Bulma to flying off with Oob could probably be done in under 150 episodes. Even when there's no filler, it's quite often events will be intentionally slowed to create artificial weight to a given situation. Assuming a hypothetical remake is as faithful to the manga as possible, it wouldn't use these techniques as much, since the Dragon Ball manga, even taking into account the fact that everyone reads at different speeds, moves very quickly.
Personally I believe that's WAY too quick. 200 is a better number if we're counting DB and Z as one anime. The manga moves too fast at certain points.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:16 pm

I don't think this really warrants a thread by itself, so...
Anybody there who owns the Japanese Dragon Box Z Volume 1 can check the "Clips from foreign dubs" extra on the last disc? Namely the first one, the "Spanish" opening.
Can you confirm which of these plays?
This one (Spain's): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yir9PZzlCKs
Or... THIS one (Brazil's): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWgWhuN8wc4
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:27 pm

You mean just by the time of Raditz arrival? I think 80 episodes would be enough.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Anyone know if Jimmy Firecracker was that character's name in Japanese, or if it was just a dub change?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Anyone know if Jimmy Firecracker was that character's name in Japanese, or if it was just a dub change?
I've never heard that name before, so I'd go with dub change.
Retired.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Why did Vegeta lose his tail in GT? I mean yeah, the machine was destroyed, but it don't get why would he lose the tail.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:39 am

Robo4900 wrote:Anyone know if Jimmy Firecracker was that character's name in Japanese, or if it was just a dub change?
From the DBwikia:
ジミー・ファイヤークラッカー
セルゲームアナウンサー
Jimī Faiyākurakkā
Seru Gēmu Anaunsā
Looks like it is the character's name.