Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Cell is consistently portrayed as freakishly tall, even in his previous forms. He's always a head taller than Goku. And with that huge crown thing of his, Cell's head is pretty tall on its own.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 pm

zarmack wrote:Or maybe its because Vegeta simply looks better taller. Seriously, the most aesthetically pleasing designs for Vegeta all tend to give him longer limbs and height than he had in the Saiyan & Early Namek arcs.
I like the dichotomy of Vegeta being smaller. It's a nice contrast to his arrogance.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:38 pm

ABED wrote:
zarmack wrote:Or maybe its because Vegeta simply looks better taller. Seriously, the most aesthetically pleasing designs for Vegeta all tend to give him longer limbs and height than he had in the Saiyan & Early Namek arcs.
I like the dichotomy of Vegeta being smaller. It's a nice contrast to his arrogance.
The series is filled with arrogant tall (and short) characters both before and after Vegeta showed up. So his height says little about the character thematically.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Has Go Go Ackman ever been released in the west?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:09 pm

zarmack wrote:
ABED wrote:
The series is filled with arrogant tall (and short) characters both before and after Vegeta showed up. So his height says little about the character thematically.
I disagree. The person who has the biggest ego in the entire series being smaller is nice visual. Toriyama has explicitly stated that he makes a habit of it. Freeza's strongest form is one of his smallest forms. Same goes for Buu. Vegeta is far shorter than Nappa but superior in strength. Then there's the great visual of Goku and Vegeta squaring off for the first time and Vegeta picking the taller mountain to stand on. Toriyama likes juxtaposition.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:20 pm

ABED wrote:
zarmack wrote:
ABED wrote:I like the dichotomy of Vegeta being smaller. It's a nice contrast to his arrogance.
I disagree. The person who has the biggest ego in the entire series being smaller is nice visual. Toriyama has explicitly stated that he makes a habit of it. Freeza's strongest form is one of his smallest forms. Same goes for Buu. Vegeta is far shorter than Nappa but superior in strength. Then there's the great visual of Goku and Vegeta squaring off for the first time and Vegeta picking the taller mountain to stand on. Toriyama likes juxtaposition.
King Piccolo, Freeza, Cell, Super Buu, and Merged Zamasu all have equally big or bigger egos than Vegeta, yet they are all huge in height (well, Freeza's 2nd & 3rd forms are).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:32 pm

zarmack wrote:
ABED wrote:
zarmack wrote:
King Piccolo, Freeza, Cell, Super Buu, and Merged Zamasu all have equally big or bigger egos than Vegeta, yet they are all huge in height (well, Freeza's 2nd & 3rd forms are).
It's not as pronounced for as long. His character arc is getting over that arrogance/insecurity.

As we see with Freeza, his strongest form is FAR from his biggest form. For it to hold true thematically for one character doesn't require it to be a trend. As for who is more arrogant than whom, Vegeta rarely learns his lesson until the very end, and he stays around much longer, so it feels more pronounced.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:29 pm

ABED wrote: For it to hold true thematically for one character doesn't require it to be a trend.
Yes it does. If there's no actual consistent link between height and personality in a story, and if said character in question is depicted as taller later on, then any intended theme with it either fails or doesn't exist.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 pm

zarmack wrote:
ABED wrote: For it to hold true thematically for one character doesn't require it to be a trend.
Yes it does. If there's no actual consistent link between height and personality in a story, and if said character in question is depicted as taller later on, then any intended theme with it either fails or doesn't exist.
Did you not read Toriyama's words about liking juxtaposition? I didn't even say it was intentional, just that I liked it. Whether intentional or not, I like that Vegeta was depicted as shorter for the reasons stated.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Would Super Buu (Base Form)'s very being return if Mr. Buu had been absorbed by Kid Buu (Base Form) in Dragon Ball Z? Like if this had happened in their confrontation in the Kaioshin Realm?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:18 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote:Would Super Buu (Base Form)'s very being return if Mr. Buu had been absorbed by Kid Buu (Base Form) in Dragon Ball Z? Like if this had happened in their confrontation in the Kaioshin Realm?
Removing Fat Buu from Super Buu was what made him return to his original form. Logically, absorbing Fat Buu would reverse that transformation.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:28 pm

I'm really itching to see Goku in his end of series gi when Super comes back. I know he won't, but I'm just so sick of seeing him in his turtle school uniform. The RoF outfits were a step in the right direction, but they were gone as soon as we got to the Goku Black arc

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Hopefully, the next DB series has more worldbuilding and builds upon the existing lore the franchise has, since the worldbuilding in Super was nothing more than a footnote.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:08 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Hopefully, the next DB series has more worldbuilding and builds upon the existing lore the franchise has, since the worldbuilding in Super was nothing more than a footnote.
I agree, but the progress would be slow.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:32 am

OhHiRenan wrote:I'm really itching to see Goku in his end of series gi when Super comes back. I know he won't, but I'm just so sick of seeing him in his turtle school uniform. The RoF outfits were a step in the right direction, but they were gone as soon as we got to the Goku Black arc
Yeah I think the same. but that gi with the blue hair will clash horribly.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:34 am

Steven Bloodriver wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Hopefully, the next DB series has more worldbuilding and builds upon the existing lore the franchise has, since the worldbuilding in Super was nothing more than a footnote.
I agree, but the progress would be slow.
That's never stopped Dragon Ball from being profitable before so it's a non-issue.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:36 pm

Does anyone else think the cast needs new outfits? One thing I like about GT was that it give the entire cast (except Piccolo and the Kais) new clothes, it helps show the passage of time.

I wouldn't mind if Goku & Vegeta's Whis training outfits became their new default look for Super, as I'm growing tired of seeing them in their Z clothes all the time (though Goku's End of Z outfit would be nice too.).
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Also, is anyone else disappointed that we never got to see Vegeta's and Broly's mothers in the Broly film? Such a missed opportunity.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:45 pm

ruler9871 wrote:Does anyone else think the cast needs new outfits? One thing I like about GT was that it give the entire cast (except Piccolo and the Kais) new clothes, it helps show the passage of time.

I wouldn't mind if Goku & Vegeta's Whis training outfits became their new default look for Super, as I'm growing tired of seeing them in their Z clothes all the time (though Goku's End of Z outfit would be nice too.).
I love the outfits they were given in Resurrection F. Seems the only reason they reverted to their Z outfits was for nostalgia. I'm afraid the characters are essentially frozen in time in Super, and won't change much, if at all, aside from Goku and Vegeta finding new transformations to use.
ruler9871 wrote:Also, is anyone else disappointed that we never got to see Vegeta's and Broly's mothers in the Broly film? Such a missed opportunity.
Not really. They didn't have anything to contribute to the story. Gine wasn't too important either, but she was there as someone for Bardock to communicate his concerns too, as well as to explain the state of Goku and Raditz. I didn't even realize Vegeta and Broly's mothers weren't in the film until you said mentioned it.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:45 am

Having just seen the Funi dub of the Super Broly movie, which doesn't mention the following word at all, what the heck is Ikari?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.