Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 am

It concerns me how contentious the canon vs noncanon, sub vs dub, and manga vs anime are.......... The debate has turned nasty and a lot of people are being very disrespectful about other's opinions.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:53 am

Jackalope89 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:48 pm Not sure its thread worthy or not, but, if Crane Hermit and Roshi are about the same age, and Roshi has been around for 300 years, then how is Crane Hermit still alive, and how old is Tao?
I know this is months late, but things like this still bother me... You know mastering martial arts gives you prolonged life, doesn't it? Both Kame-Sennin and Tsuru-Sennin are masters, no matter how weak they may look now in hindsight. The problem isn't with them living to be 300 years old, the problem is with acting like Goku or Vegeta don't age because they are Sayians or with how characters like Krillin are portrayed to grow so old by the time they're only in what, they're 50's? Even though they aren't supposed to be at even a quarter of their lifespans, judging by their proficiency in martial arts.

Guess I'll also answer your question about Tao too... I remember it was stated somewhere he was Tsuru-Sennin's younger brother and I thiiiiiink there's also a statement about him being in only his 100's...
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Already has a thread about the analogy between DB and Star Wars, but lore aside... We can even compare the return of these franchises:

Both Super and TFA came around the same year (2015)
In early 2017 many were disappointed by the conclusion of the Future Trunks arc and late in this year disappointed by how bad was TLJ.

This year Super is on hiatus, but in 2018 we got at least a decent finale for the series, the same thing could be said about TROS.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Noah wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:08 pm Already has a thread about the analogy between DB and Star Wars, but lore aside... We can even compare the return of these franchises:

Both Super and TFA came around the same year (2015)
In early 2017 many were disappointed by the conclusion of the Future Trunks arc and late in this year disappointed by how bad was TLJ.

This year Super is on hiatus, but in 2018 we got at least a decent finale for the series, the same thing could be said about TROS.
Just watched TROS. I enjoyed it. But it was total crap. For real. At least DBS:Broly didn't have all those negative aspects. But both movies had serious asspulls Ngl.

Decent comparison
P O W E R

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:48 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:11 pmJust watched TROS. I enjoyed it. But it was total crap. For real. At least DBS:Broly didn't have all those negative aspects. But both movies had serious asspulls Ngl.

Decent comparison

Yea, it felt like I was watching a shounen anime. Anxious for ekrolo2's opinion about as he liked TLJ so I bet he hated TROS lol.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:33 pm

Anybody know who or what was behind the design choice for having Lucifer from Sleeping Princess in Devil’s Castle look like Goku? Always found that interesting.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:06 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:33 pm Anybody know who or what was behind the design choice for having Lucifer from Sleeping Princess in Devil’s Castle look like Goku? Always found that interesting.
He doesn’t.

If I squint the hair looks kinda similar but that’s it.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 am It concerns me how contentious the canon vs noncanon, sub vs dub, and manga vs anime are.......... The debate has turned nasty and a lot of people are being very disrespectful about other's opinions.
I'm glad this doesn't enter into my life at all! lol I don't really care what others like or what they think I should like or watch. Some people take things way too seriously...especially online.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:01 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:34 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 am It concerns me how contentious the canon vs noncanon, sub vs dub, and manga vs anime are.......... The debate has turned nasty and a lot of people are being very disrespectful about other's opinions.
I'm glad this doesn't enter into my life at all! lol I don't really care what others like or what they think I should like or watch. Some people take things way too seriously...especially online.
Yeah its unfortunate but not everyone is respectful of other's opinions.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:06 pm
goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:33 pm Anybody know who or what was behind the design choice for having Lucifer from Sleeping Princess in Devil’s Castle look like Goku? Always found that interesting.
He doesn’t.

I mean yeah, hes not Tullece or Bardock or Zamasu or Goten but c'mon

You aint gotta squint that hard lol.. But my main questions is just his design choice in general not really on weather or not he's a spitting image of Goku. Though I do think he has a Goku inspired look.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:40 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:38 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:06 pm
He doesn’t.

I mean yeah, hes not Tullece or Bardock or Zamasu or Goten but c'mon

You aint gotta squint that hard lol.. But my main questions is just his design choice in general not really on weather or not he's a spitting image of Goku. Though I do think he has a Goku inspired look.
I dont think it was intentional. Toriyama tends to have some same-y designs

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:36 am

As boring as that is, you're probably right lol.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:49 am

That's an original filler villain designed by Toei for the movie lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:22 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:38 pmBut my main questions is just his design choice in general not really on weather or not he's a spitting image of Goku.
Since he's based off the Devil that might explain why his hair is drawn the way it is, to resemble the horns or wings or whatever.

KintoUn_Dream

Post by KintoUn_Dream » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:00 pm

I like to swap back and forth between audio tracks on my DVDs & Blu-Rays on occasion to see what Funimation has altered in the dub sometimes. The other day, I was watching The Path to Power and noticed that towards the end when Black shoots Red, the gunshot sound effect is swapped out in the dub to sound much louder and much more realistic than in the original Japanese audio track. Aside, from the earlier days of the dub (before Funi did the dub in-house), I can't think of any other time in the dub where sound effects were outright changed. Has anybody else ever noticed this, and do you have any idea why they might've decided to change it? (If it matters, this was in the Movie 4-Pack DVD release).

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:25 am

How come that we haven't gotten anything Kitsune related in DB? I know it is mainly derived off Chinese culture with Journey in the West (elements are still apparent) and Dragons are treated as the most divine of beings similarly to Chinese and Japanese culture/religion, but what would the possibility of Fox Gods to make it in DB?

Is Liquir the only example? I meant something more direct like Shenron and the Eternal Dragons being pretty much the Asian Dragons of wisdom etc. Also, Kitsune aren't entirely foxes, so there's also that.
P O W E R

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:37 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:25 am How come that we haven't gotten anything Kitsune related in DB?
We have with Liquer, a character you acknowledged in your very own post?
I know it is mainly derived off Chinese culture with Journey in the West (elements are still apparent) and Dragons are treated as the most divine of beings similarly to Chinese and Japanese culture/religion, but what would the possibility of Fox Gods to make it in DB?

Am I a joke to you?

I meant something more direct like Shenron and the Eternal Dragons being pretty much the Asian Dragons of wisdom etc. Also, Kitsune aren't entirely foxes, so there's also that.
I don’t exactly know what you’re expecting or hoping for? Dragon Ball rarely focuses on mythological creatures as is. Why this demand for one Japanese yokai that has already been given representation?

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:19 pm

Does Nozawa have grandkids?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:33 pm

I don't know how long you have been visiting forums, but my experience is that the debate and also disrespectfulness is pretty much the same since the early 2000's. You'll only notice it if you are not part of the circlejerk. Unfortunately, anonymity brings out the nastiest sides of people.
Thankfully, this forum is very much on the light side, since it is well moderated and more strict (hence why it has survived during many years, contrary to the dozens of Dragonball forums I've visited in the past). You keep doing you and stay respectful. Sometimes you just can't win an argument.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:51 pm

What is Toyotaro's first name?