Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:45 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:21 pm According to FUNi, the Commander Red Saga goes from episode 58-67. Assistant Black dies in episode 68. Why? I get that Red dies in 67, but is that the end of the arc? It always bugs me when I have to change DVDs just to see the end of the Red Ribbon Army. Who made this obviously stupid decision?
The same moron that thought the Red Ribbon arc needed to be segregated into the red ribbon saga, General Blue saga, and Commander Saga? Like it’s all the goddamn red ribbon saga that’s just stupid. Same principle as splitting Namek into Namek, Captain Ginyy, and Freeza.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:45 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:21 pm According to FUNi, the Commander Red Saga goes from episode 58-67. Assistant Black dies in episode 68. Why? I get that Red dies in 67, but is that the end of the arc? It always bugs me when I have to change DVDs just to see the end of the Red Ribbon Army. Who made this obviously stupid decision?
The same moron that thought the Red Ribbon arc needed to be segregated into the red ribbon saga, General Blue saga, and Commander Saga? Like it’s all the goddamn red ribbon saga that’s just stupid. Same principle as splitting Namek into Namek, Captain Ginyy, and Freeza.
That granularity mades a pseudo sense, but this makes none. It's ONE episode, and it sure as hell isn't part of the Fortuneteller Baba ar.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:51 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:21 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:45 pm
That granularity mades a pseudo sense, but this makes none. It's ONE episode, and it sure as hell isn't part of the Fortuneteller Baba ar.
If they had called what they referred to as the Red Ribbon saga something else, sure. Like Muscle Tower saga, General Blue saga, and Commander Red saga. But calling just episode 29-45 or whatever Red Ribbon saga is really really stupid.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:46 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:51 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:21 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:45 pm The same moron that thought the Red Ribbon arc needed to be segregated into the red ribbon saga, General Blue saga, and Commander Saga? Like it’s all the goddamn red ribbon saga that’s just stupid. Same principle as splitting Namek into Namek, Captain Ginyy, and Freeza.
That granularity makes a pseudo sense, but this makes none. It's ONE episode, and it sure as hell isn't part of the Fortuneteller Baba ar.
If they had called what they referred to as the Red Ribbon saga something else, sure. Like Muscle Tower saga, General Blue saga, and Commander Red saga. But calling just episode 29-45 or whatever Red Ribbon saga is really really stupid.
Fair enough.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but HBO Max, Warner Bros' new streaming service will also contain Crunchyroll. If so, I'm thankful I won't have to buy one more separate streaming service when whatever Dragon Ball series comes along eventually.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:30 pm

So when Battle of Gods came out, the one thing that was consistently praised was Beerus and Whis. Everyone loved them, thought they were great additions to the Dragon Ball World. But now that we've more time for the past 5 years or so, in Resurrection F, the Universe 6 Arc, the Future Trunks Arc, the Universe Survival Arc, and Dragon Ball Super Broly, I wanna ask you guys something: What are your thoughts on Beerus and Whis as of right now, at this current point in the story? Are they still as refreshing as they were when they were first introduced, or are they just not the same anymore?
Caulifla best girl! :)

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:52 pm

They were refreshing in the same way all open ended high profile characters are. The Kaioshin was in that same category until we spent the whole Buu Arc with him.

I never liked Beerus or Whis but if I had to wager a guess I'd say most people are still happy with them overall. They have a fun dynamic and with how disappointing the alternate universes in the ToP were, I think most people are willing to give them a pass.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:22 am

They start as cool characters and have a cool dynamic with one another but they suffer from the "stick-around-longer-than-the-necessary-and-see-it-doomed" problem. Look at it from a narrative perspective, not even Kaioshin of East has spent as much time on Earth as they did. Ever since Movie 14/AGE 778, it's like Earth is now their home, like, all of a sudden. They simply can't leave and they're present no matter what, even when the situation clearly does not ask for them to be there. It's bizarre and it's a bad thing, as it contributes to the fatigue. Not mention they always come along with the old and not-funny-anymore jokes and gags about/related to food, making things even worse.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:03 am

See Grimlock's opinion? The opposite of that. I like them as a principle part of the cast. I'm not even sure what you mean by "all of the sudden".

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:57 pm

I mean they started spend their lives on Earth on a whim.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:22 pm

Let's talk about English Dubs... again... The thing that everyone on here loves to talk about once every week.

Sean Schemmel. The English voice of Goku in the Funimation Dub. He has voiced Goku for over 2 decades, and even though he has dealt with a few controversies for past few years, it still doesn't stop him from doing his job and voicing this iconic character. But, at one point, there's gonna be a time where he'll have to retire (no, I'm not saying this in a mean way). And when that day comes, who, from Funi's big pool of VAs, do you guys think would be a good replacement for Sean?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:42 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:22 pm Let's talk about English Dubs... again... The thing that everyone on here loves to talk about once every week.

Sean Schemmel. The English voice of Goku in the Funimation Dub. He has voiced Goku for over 2 decades, and even though he has dealt with a few controversies for past few years, it still doesn't stop him from doing his job and voicing this iconic character. But, at one point, there's gonna be a time where he'll have to retire (no, I'm not saying this in a mean way). And when that day comes, who, from Funi's big pool of VAs, do you guys think would be a good replacement for Sean?
I could see Justin Cook doing a good Goku.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:26 pm

isn't justin cook mainly a producer for funi now ? he doesn't seem to be super involved in actually voicing characters, and he's not a particular great VA, can't imagine they would give him the main role of one of their biggest properties.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:44 am

Why did Shō Hayami and Hideyuki Hori get replaced as Zarbon and Ginyu?

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:35 pm

The more I think about it the more I wish they had kept the RooF outfits for DBS, along with SSB it really helped to set Goku and Vegeta apart from Z

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:44 pm

What if the various tournaments in the series took a page out of real life and instituted weight classes? Or rather, power level classes? Like how in boxing, guys who weigh between 130 and 135 (lightweight) wouldn't fight guys who weigh between 160 and 168 (super middleweight) because everyone knows that a nearly thirty five pound muscle difference would just result in a quick and one sided beating.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:43 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:44 pm What if the various tournaments in the series took a page out of real life and instituted weight classes? Or rather, power level classes? Like how in boxing, guys who weigh between 130 and 135 (lightweight) wouldn't fight guys who weigh between 160 and 168 (super middleweight) because everyone knows that a nearly thirty five pound muscle difference would just result in a quick and one sided beating.
I like the idea and it would definitely make sense in story but I don't think it fits on a genre level. As "scientific" as scouters made concepts like ki, ki is still firmly rooted in Eastern Mysticism and romanticized views of martial arts. Ki-classes would be too huge a departure from that. Plus, with the Tournament of Power, it looks like the gods of the universe aren't all that interested in skill if it doesn't also come with lots of power.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:49 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:44 pm What if the various tournaments in the series took a page out of real life and instituted weight classes? Or rather, power level classes? Like how in boxing, guys who weigh between 130 and 135 (lightweight) wouldn't fight guys who weigh between 160 and 168 (super middleweight) because everyone knows that a nearly thirty five pound muscle difference would just result in a quick and one sided beating.
Introducing weight classes ruins Toriyama’s favorite gag of the smaller guy being stronger than the big guy.

Considering characters can lower and raise their ki/power level having that as a class seems futile.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 am

Was there something special about movie 13/wrath of the dragon beyond it being the last of the original run of dbz movies? Its the only one of them with a dolby surround/matrix 4.0 sound track in Japanese. even path to power was just stereo.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:16 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 am Was there something special about movie 13/wrath of the dragon beyond it being the last of the original run of dbz movies? Its the only one of them with a dolby surround/matrix 4.0 sound track in Japanese. even path to power was just stereo.
Pretty sure Path To Power is dolby surround 4.0 too. Though it may be a more real surround experience...

Z movie 13's stereo mix is indeed a matrixed 4.0 surround track, but a friend of mine told me a friend of his expanded this out and found that this surround mix is nothing more than an artificially-expanded-out stereo mix. Which seems incredibly silly given it's matrixed into a stereo track, so it's just unnecessary extra steps, it seems. :lol:
I've yet to actually hear the surround track demodulated/unmatrixed for myself, but I trust the guy I heard it from. However, it is possible that if one were to grab the front left and right channels from the resulting demodulated audio, you may get a cleaner stereo track than you do on the standard versions. In theory, at least. So even if you don't get a real surround mix out of it, I imagine it's possible that de-matrixing the stereo track into surround may still yield something of worth.

The 10th anniversary movie aka Path To Power apparently also has 4.0 surround matrixing, but I'm unsure if it's "real" surround, or if it's also just artificially-expanded-out. A friend of mine is trying to get the necessary things together to correctly unfold it, but he's yet to have any success, so we've been unable to determine this.

But, as for "Why is this movie surround?", I'm guessing it's just because in 1995, Toei were first trying out stereo mixing, and doing it on this movie seemed like the right thing to do, and since most cinemas are equipped to play surround, they probably then decided "let's expand it to surround too, so we get to sell it as surround."

I'd love to research this properly, and back this up with more real evidence than "I was told this by someone I trust", but my friend and I simply don't have the unfolded mixes, and have yet to find the time to assemble what we need to unfold it. If anyone out there has managed to unfold it to surround, or knows how to do it, please PM me or post in this thread.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:16 pm
10gigtriforce wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 am Was there something special about movie 13/wrath of the dragon beyond it being the last of the original run of dbz movies? Its the only one of them with a dolby surround/matrix 4.0 sound track in Japanese. even path to power was just stereo.
Pretty sure Path To Power is dolby surround 4.0 too. Though it may be a more real surround experience...

Z movie 13's stereo mix is indeed a matrixed 4.0 surround track, but a friend of mine told me a friend of his expanded this out and found that this surround mix is nothing more than an artificially-expanded-out stereo mix. Which seems incredibly silly given it's matrixed into a stereo track, so it's just unnecessary extra steps, it seems. :lol:
I've yet to actually hear the surround track demodulated/unmatrixed for myself, but I trust the guy I heard it from. However, it is possible that if one were to grab the front left and right channels from the resulting demodulated audio, you may get a cleaner stereo track than you do on the standard versions. In theory, at least. So even if you don't get a real surround mix out of it, I imagine it's possible that de-matrixing the stereo track into surround may still yield something of worth.

The 10th anniversary movie aka Path To Power apparently also has 4.0 surround matrixing, but I'm unsure if it's "real" surround, or if it's also just artificially-expanded-out. A friend of mine is trying to get the necessary things together to correctly unfold it, but he's yet to have any success, so we've been unable to determine this.

But, as for "Why is this movie surround?", I'm guessing it's just because in 1995, Toei were first trying out stereo mixing, and doing it on this movie seemed like the right thing to do, and since most cinemas are equipped to play surround, they probably then decided "let's expand it to surround too, so we get to sell it as surround."

I'd love to research this properly, and back this up with more real evidence than "I was told this by someone I trust", but my friend and I simply don't have the unfolded mixes, and have yet to find the time to assemble what we need to unfold it. If anyone out there has managed to unfold it to surround, or knows how to do it, please PM me or post in this thread.

Interesting, I'll have to run it through my pro logic ll decoder/avr once I get it and give it a listen myself. i didnt know about path to power, lddb lists it as only stereo