Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Alruneia » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:09 pm

Desassina wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:44 pm I'm perplexed by your signature after what you just said (hint: it has Bulla). I could be interpreting it wrong, like you said that it's fine, so as long as we don't exaggerate with others.
I'm not sure which part of it is confusing, but I can try to explain. Personally I use the Funimation dub names and terms as consistently as possible (unless I'm joking around). Vegito, Frieza, Bulla, Top, Supreme Kai, so on and so on. And as long as people stick to one translation at a time, I'm personally totally fine with people using Viz translation names/terms, Latin American dub names/terms, French names/terms, Portuguese names/terms, Japanese names/terms or whatever else instead. That's why the example I used is with dub names from two different dubs that don't overlap. Single-word names are also not complex enough for the stuff about readability to come into play in my opinion, so consistency is the main factor.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:17 pm

Ah, so I got you wrong at first, and what I said afterwards checks out. Thanks :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:36 pm

Alruneia wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:44 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:54 am
Witty User Name wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:46 am Not trying to sound disrespectful, but I always have thought that people who use/say ''Bloomer'' are kind of pretentious...like, why go wy out of your way to find the most appropriate way to spell/say/transcribe a character's name from a, as ww have know for a while now, ''silly 80's Japanese cartoon''. :lol:
I wouldn’t go as far as calling it “pretentious” but I always found it silly when people insist on calling her Bloomer or Blooma. When all official sources (including the manga artwork!) call her Bulma. Calling her Bloomer/Blooma to me is like calling Goku ...Wukong.
Clearly the solution here is to just call them ブルマ and 悟空. No need to worry about the most accurate romanisation if you just don't romanise it at all! :P
For me, what matters the most is consistency (for example, don't use "Bulla", a clear Funimation dub name, and then turn around and call Chi-Chi "Milk"), which should be obvious enough, and in second place comes readability. Part of the point of translating is to make things understandable, to enable readers/viewers to follow along despite not knowing the original language. When you leave complex terms untranslated, for example leaving "4-star Dragon Ball" as "Si Xing Qiu" (pronounced "si shing chu" I believe), you're gonna make people have to stop and look it up, and that's too far for my tastes, even if it is more accurate to the source material. What good is accuracy if people don't know what you're saying? (Yes, people will only have to look up each term a few times, but don't give your readers/viewers homework.)

My, I SURE love the fact that you included a jab at the Latin American dub. Nobody who is actually knowdledgeable about Dragon Ball calls her that. And people who arent do grant your wish. They call them Milk and Bulla. I LOVE the hypocrisy in that you tried to frame US as the hypocrites.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:36 pm I LOVE the hypocrisy in that you tried to frame US as the hypocrites.
???????????????????????
No, seriously, I have no clue what you're trying to say here. I only ask for people to be consistent with what translation they use. Where is this stuff about hypocrisy coming from?????
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:56 pm

Okay maybe that was the wrong word but you are complaining about us being inconsistent when we are not.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:21 pm

People say "they're fine" with others using other terms but the second they see someone using the Japanese terms (which is the most accurate and correct ones to be used), they quickly go to post a mocking comment.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:36 pm

Desassina wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:57 am You kind of addressed the person without pointing to him. And yes, it was disrespectful, but you can have your ball-munch :P
Sorry, I just saw this post, so that's why I didn't respond earlier. I don't know who I am supposing to be referring to (in your mind), but it certainly isn't you (so I don't see why you should get offended), but rather certain ''Youtubers''. I am sorry you found it disrespectful, but I have the right to have my opinion without offending anyone directly.

Unless you meant ''him'' as synonymous with ''person''.

Also, being a non-native English speaker, I have no idea what a ''ball-munch'' is, so you can claim you scored a point on that one, due to lack of knowledge on my part.

Have I been clear enough? If not, please PM me.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:34 am

Fellow Non Native Speaker. When refering to people unrelated to a discussion try using them instead.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:36 am

Desassina wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:57 am You kind of addressed the person without pointing to him. And yes, it was disrespectful, but you can have your ball-munch :P
Hopefully my last post in this thread adressed everything you've written, but in case I got all of it wrong, I will simply say this: ''I am sorry you found it disrespectful, but I don't think it is, it's just my opinion, and I have the right to it, and in the case you want this matter to go any further, you should explain in more detaiil why you think I offended anybody''.

:thumbup:

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:40 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:34 am Fellow Non Native Speaker. When refering to people unrelated to a discussion try using them instead.
Thank for the tip, Cure Dragon 255. I will try to do that in future interactions.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:05 am

Witty User Name wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:36 pmAlso, being a non-native English speaker, I have no idea what a ''ball-munch'' is, so you can claim you scored a point on that one, due to lack of knowledge on my part.
Oh, ball-munch is just a play thing with the pronunciation that I hate about Bulma, ball-muh. Don't take it personally. To munch is a synonym of to eat, but only now did I realize that it could have been offensive, because of balls. Let's forget about this and follow Cure Dragon's advice: point to the person who is to blame about something. Otherwise, it might sound like a jab at someone (like Grimlock's post), from passive aggressive behaviour no less.

Change of subject. I proposed this in the last page:
Would you prefer fusion names to use less separation and concatenation of words and more playful meanings? Example: Beers and Champa fuse into Black Velvet (a drink made of beer and champagne) and not Champeers.
My addition to this being Top and Dyspo fusing into Dystopia, for example, or fusing Freeza's theme with Cell's into Cryogene (cryogenic genes) with the awesome Japanese version kuraiojin. I still need to find out whom the credit for this name should go to.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:42 am

You seem to get offended or something. I did see your deleted post earlier, but if you don't consider yourself one of those I described in my post, there's no reason for you to be this mad, you know.

And my post is far from "passive aggressive behaviour", I was merely adding to the on-going conversation above something that has happened before.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:49 am

Desassina wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:05 am
Witty User Name wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:36 pmAlso, being a non-native English speaker, I have no idea what a ''ball-munch'' is, so you can claim you scored a point on that one, due to lack of knowledge on my part.
Oh, ball-munch is just a play thing with the pronunciation that I hate about Bulma, ball-muh. Don't take it personally. To munch is a synonym of to eat, but only now did I realize that it could have been offensive, because of balls. Let's forget about this and follow Cure Dragon's advice: point to the person who is to blame about something. Otherwise, it might sound like a jab at someone (like Grimlock's post), from passive aggressive behaviour no less.
OKAY FINE, I will point out the freaking names and be anti-ethic. I really didn't like, for just one instance, the use of ''Blooma'' on Gaffer Tape's videos. I found it pretentious. There, happy? Now I hope HE doesn't see this and gets offended. :problem:
Desassina wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:05 amMy addition to this being Top and Dyspo fusing into Dystopia, for example, or fusing Freeza's theme with Cell's into Cryogene (cryogenic genes) with the awesome Japanese version kuraiojin. I still need to find out whom the credit for this name should go to.
I will admit, some of those names do sound cool.
Last edited by Witty User Name on Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Yeah. Why so angry Witty?

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:23 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:03 pm Yeah. Why so angry Witty?
Because this person is harassing me for like 3 posts in a row now.

Also, you got pretty mad at someone else in this very thread just a few posts back. Now you are complaining about me?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:33 pm

Dios mio calmate! No vas a durar mucho siendo tan grosero y paranoico.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:33 pm Dios mio calmate! No vas a durar mucho siendo tan grosero y paranoico.
I wouldn't say ''paranoico'' quite describes it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:29 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:21 pm People say "they're fine" with others using other terms but the second they see someone using the Japanese terms (which is the most accurate and correct ones to be used), they quickly go to post a mocking comment.
I dont mind people using the Japanese terms, but when you have people on here using "Supa Saiyajin Dai San Dankai" for Grade 3/USSJ Trunks, it looks fucking ridiculous and in a normal conversation nobody would take you seriously.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:20 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:29 pm
Grimlock wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:21 pm People say "they're fine" with others using other terms but the second they see someone using the Japanese terms (which is the most accurate and correct ones to be used), they quickly go to post a mocking comment.
I dont mind people using the Japanese terms, but when you have people on here using "Supa Saiyajin Dai San Dankai" for Grade 3/USSJ Trunks, it looks fucking ridiculous and in a normal conversation nobody would take you seriously.
Using these video game esque names are cringe on their own. Every time I see Kid Goku or Base Goku or SSJ 3 Goku I cringe hard

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:11 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:29 pmI dont mind people using the Japanese terms, but when you have people on here using "Supa Saiyajin Dai San Dankai" for Grade 3/USSJ Trunks, it looks fucking ridiculous and in a normal conversation nobody would take you seriously.
Well, bear in mind that not every country speaks English and/or has access to the English material. So it'd be a little bit difficult for everyone to use "Super Saiyan Grade 2" and "Super Saiyan Grade 3". Those aren't a very common names or easy to find them.

In part, I thank Dende that's the case. Because I blame the games for things like "Kid Buu", "Teen Gohan" (referring to a 10-year-old boy), "Adult Gohan" (referring to a 16-year-old teenager) and many other stupidities you see everywhere. I really don't know how and why other nonsensical terms like "Mystic Gohan", "Ascended Super Saiyan", "Ultra Super Saiyan" got popularized or even where the latter two come from. I'd prefer to use the Japanese terms over unofficial ones. At least the former are official ones.

"Mystic Gohan" was only used once in an old and English version of a game (Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury? Can't remember). I mean, technically I do know where "Ultra Super Saiyan" comes from. It was said by Trunks once when he was in the Time Chamber with Goten before fighting Super Buu, he uses it to refer to Super Saiyan 3. So it's a term that was popularized to refer erroneously to another form!? :crazy:

~ Day of the Machines ~