Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:59 pm

lolman196 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:12 pm This is kind of random, but I watched this Mario Paint commercial earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V0KJWNquu0

At about 14 seconds in, does that sound like Masako Nozawa to anyone, or am I imagining things?
That DID sound like Nozawa a little bit. You have some good ears.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:22 am

It's been bothering me, but in DBS Manga, why did Vegetto have to eat Senzu Bean when he appeared against Zamasu? I thought Fusions always come out at full power regardless of how damaged the fusees were before. For example Vegetto against Gohan Buu, or most recent Gogeta vs Broly, neither of them had to eat Senzus.

EDIT: Oh wait, Goku and Vegeta weren't damaged by Buu in the original manga huh. Well the point still stands with Gogeta because Broly sure wrecked them good... :think:

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:33 am

Locust wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:43 am My boy finally got a figuarts

Looks real good, I'll be picking this up
In that same showcase, Lunch and 1st form Freeza was also shown to be getting a figure too. So that's awesome :lol:

Now only if we could get a re-release of Yamcha, Tien and Krillin, because their second hand prices are totally absurd :think:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:16 am

RandomGuy96 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:44 pm What if the various tournaments in the series took a page out of real life and instituted weight classes? Or rather, power level classes? Like how in boxing, guys who weigh between 130 and 135 (lightweight) wouldn't fight guys who weigh between 160 and 168 (super middleweight) because everyone knows that a nearly thirty five pound muscle difference would just result in a quick and one sided beating.
It'd be nice but in a series that weight classes don't matter too much, it'd be a little useless imo. Power level-classes, yeah, that would be fairer, in a way, but it sounds a little strange to me, yet, personally.

If a warrior is highly, Godly skilled, I think weight doesn't matter that much. For instance, I'd imagine Bruce Lee kicking the ass of way bigger fighters like Jon Jones and Anderson Silva.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:59 am

Mireya wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:16 am
RandomGuy96 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:44 pm What if the various tournaments in the series took a page out of real life and instituted weight classes? Or rather, power level classes? Like how in boxing, guys who weigh between 130 and 135 (lightweight) wouldn't fight guys who weigh between 160 and 168 (super middleweight) because everyone knows that a nearly thirty five pound muscle difference would just result in a quick and one sided beating.
If a warrior is highly, Godly skilled, I think weight doesn't matter that much. For instance, I'd imagine Bruce Lee kicking the ass of way bigger fighters like Jon Jones and Anderson Silva.
You don't know much about martial arts, then. Lee was an actor and himself admitted he would have zero chance against a heavyweight boxer, much less an actual MMA fighter.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

sskura

Post by sskura » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:36 am

hell yeah super hyped for this. crazy to think db figuarts are so successful that a "minor" character like raditz is getting one. gives me hope for a dabura :angel:
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:33 am
In that same showcase, Lunch and 1st form Freeza was also shown to be getting a figure too. So that's awesome :lol:

Now only if we could get a re-release of Yamcha, Tien and Krillin, because their second hand prices are totally absurd :think:
to be fair that's true of literally every out of print dragon ball figuart so idk if that's incentive enough for bandai to reissue. think of those three you mentioned, we will probably see a 2.0 krillin and maybe even a saiyan armor one too

sskura

Post by sskura » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:12 pm

these insane repaints I found of celipa figures on twitter by @dblife59
the face and especially smirk on the hands on hips one is just incredible

Akirale Torimaki

Re: Non thread worthy discussions

Post by Akirale Torimaki » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:04 pm

MadSaiyantist wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:48 am
precita wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Prior to the resurection F movie, Mark was the only character to never die in all of Dragon Ball.
Even then, he technically didn't die because Whis rewound time.
He also likely died in Mirai Trunks' timeline. Unless he's alive which would be hilarious. Future Satan pushing through some rubble to challenge Black sounds like a possibility with Toriyama.
He probably already challenged the Artificial Humans and got killed because of it.
N’cha! From Penguin Village with Love!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:51 pm

I remember back in 2015 to watch this AMV about Future Trunks and Gohan, the song is "Pompeii" and has a part that sings:
"Does almost feels like nothing changes at all, but if you close your eyes does almost feels like you've been here before..."

That you could associate to his destroyed (later fixed) future, but seeing that the next year (2016) we had an arc about that again, it almost felt to me like a foreshadowing.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:16 pm

On 10/5, it looks like the DB Super dub will begin streaming on Hulu.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:58 pm

the five dubs of Tree of Might video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0P9EoZ-ZA

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:10 am

With how many spots Cell has, I'm sure Toriyama never checked to make sure he kept their placements consistent in each drawing.

sskura

Post by sskura » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:45 am

some more raditz. cool to see he comes with a second tail

AND :shock: :o
Last edited by sskura on Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:30 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:58 pm the five dubs of Tree of Might video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0P9EoZ-ZA
He kept blaming Saban for things that would actually be Funimation (basically anything other than the ridiculous censorship) so that got annoying fast.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:52 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:30 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:58 pm the five dubs of Tree of Might video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0P9EoZ-ZA
He kept blaming Saban for things that would actually be Funimation (basically anything other than the ridiculous censorship) so that got annoying fast.
I didn't really see him doing that, he was just labeling the dubs that way so as not to confuse people, as with 5 English dubs I can see how some viewers would be confused if he labeled two of them as the Funimation dub, calling one the Saban dub just makes it less messy and confusing IMO.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:12 pm

sskura wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:36 am

hell yeah super hyped for this. crazy to think db figuarts are so successful that a "minor" character like raditz is getting one. gives me hope for a dabura :angel:
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:33 am

to be fair that's true of literally every out of print dragon ball figuart so idk if that's incentive enough for bandai to reissue. think of those three you mentioned, we will probably see a 2.0 krillin and maybe even a saiyan armor one too
:o ...That Raditz is a day one buy for me, and would be my first figure in the line (although I also want King Piccolo and the upcoming Piccolo re-release). Definitely hoping for a re-release of Yamcha, Tien, and Krillin too.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:07 am

RandomGuy96 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:59 am
Mireya wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:16 am
You don't know much about martial arts, then. Lee was an actor and himself admitted he would have zero chance against a heavyweight boxer, much less an actual MMA fighter.
Did Bruce Lee state that? I honestly have never seen it.

Above being an actor, Lee was a powerful martial artist. In a street fighter no current MMA fighter would have a chance against him. He could be in trouble if taken to the ground but he'd likely just quickly outstrike a guy like Jon Jones or other big MMA fighter.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:14 pm

What happened to the pioneer script for tree of might? I know the funi redub of the movie is based off the saban/oceandub script for the tree of might meant for tv episodes, and that makes me wonder what happened to the script pioneer used. Did funi not get it and thats why they use a jacked up script? Did pioneer send it to funi and they disregarded it?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:57 am

dragonmagico wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:14 pm What happened to the pioneer script for tree of might? I know the funi redub of the movie is based off the saban/oceandub script for the tree of might meant for tv episodes, and that makes me wonder what happened to the script pioneer used. Did funi not get it and thats why they use a jacked up script? Did pioneer send it to funi and they disregarded it?
The scripts were actually written by Ocean Group fwiw (namely Ward Perry who voiced Turles wrote all 3 movies) and seeing as how Funimation’s redubs of Z movie 1 and 2 closely follow the Pioneer dubs I’m pretty sure Funimation had the Pioneer dub script for movie 3 they just felt like using the one they already wrote for network tv.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:08 pm

In his persue of revenge and killing Goku, Dr.Gero created a device that can generate "unlimited" energy for his androids to use. He unintentionally created a renewable source of energy that could change the world and solve the issues and polution caused by non-renewable sources.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.