Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:29 am

Danfun64 wrote:Having just seen the Funi dub of the Super Broly movie, which doesn't mention the following word at all, what the heck is Ikari?
Japanese word that means anger/wrath/rage.
Used for Trunks' anime exclusive Super Saiyan form and Broly's Great Ape powered base form.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzdTCxqNdB8

Nozawa should use this tone of voice more often, instead of the cutesy, high-pitched tone she uses for Goku in the lighthearted, slice-of-life scenes nowadays. You could say that she uses that because Super Goku's is more infantile than his Z counterpart, but I don't think that's the reason, since she used the same tone that she uses now back in Kai.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:30 pm

Can someone tell me whether is it true that Ginyu is still alive as a frog in the manga canon? Or was Ginyu Frog being transported to Earth entirely anime-only, and he actually died way back on Namek?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:55 pm

Xeogran wrote:Can someone tell me whether is it true that Ginyu is still alive as a frog in the manga canon? Or was Ginyu Frog being transported to Earth entirely anime-only, and he actually died way back on Namek?
I think that was just anime filler. An attempt to give the anime version of Resurrection F some new ideas. It doesn't really make sense, though. When Buu destroyed Earth, the people were wished back, except for the "really bad ones." So even if Ginyu were transported to Earth with the Namekians, even though no other animals were transported with him, Buu's destruction would have killed him. So did the dragon just not consider Ginyu a bad person? Unlikely.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:04 pm

Question: Is "Burst open and mix" a good translation for that sentence the Saiyans shout when they create an artificial moon?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 am

I'm personally not a fan of how poorly the Saiyans were treated by a lot of the Frieza soldiers. I also wish new Broly had the same skin tone as old Broly. Then again the tanned skin does have the barbarian or jungle man appeal.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:05 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Hopefully, the next DB series has more worldbuilding and builds upon the existing lore the franchise has, since the worldbuilding in Super was nothing more than a footnote.
Sadly I don't think that will happen any sooner. Toriyama himself acknowledges that DB is basically just fighting, so if not Toyotaro, he might not really be interesting of introducing things beyond that.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:09 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Hopefully, the next DB series has more worldbuilding and builds upon the existing lore the franchise has, since the worldbuilding in Super was nothing more than a footnote.
Nah, worldbuilding is fine and to be honest, it's a concept that easily gets very boring. It's just exposition.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:58 pm

Hulk10 wrote:Then again the tanned skin does have the barbarian or jungle man appeal.
What's that, bro?

Care to elaborate?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:59 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:Then again the tanned skin does have the barbarian or jungle man appeal.
What's that, bro?

Care to elaborate?
Well... With that tanned skin and wild hair he looks kinda like Tarzan the Lord of the Apes or Conan the Cimmerian.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:12 pm

Hulk10 wrote:
MyVisionity wrote:
What's that, bro?

Care to elaborate?
Well... With that tanned skin and wild hair he looks kinda like Tarzan the Lord of the Apes or Conan the Cimmerian.
Fair enough, but it might be a good idea to be more aware of your wording in these cases. Just a suggestion.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:22 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:
MyVisionity wrote:
What's that, bro?

Care to elaborate?
Fair enough, but it might be a good idea to be more aware of your wording in these cases. Just a suggestion.
Yeah...……. I think I see your point. :sick:

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:46 am

Noah wrote: Sadly I don't think that will happen any sooner. Toriyama himself acknowledges that DB is basically just fighting, so if not Toyotaro, he might not really be interesting of introducing things beyond that.
I hope not, otherwise, the DB universe would stay extremely boring and flat.
ABED wrote:
Nah, worldbuilding is fine and to be honest, it's a concept that easily gets very boring. It's just exposition.
It's definitely not, DB's is worldbuilding is bare and bland, and that is your opinion and exposition is great as long as it's used right. Besides, worldbuilding isn't just exposition.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:20 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:It's definitely not, DB's is worldbuilding is bare and bland, and that is your opinion and exposition is great as long as it's used right. Besides, worldbuilding isn't just exposition.
It is what it needs to be in order to tell a very simple story. More than that and it slows things to a crawl. Exposition CAN be great, but in small doses, unless you're telling a more complex story like a mystery. World building is exposition. If you don't think I'm right, instead of telling me I'm wrong, explain why.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:06 pm

ABED wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:It's definitely not, DB's is worldbuilding is bare and bland, and that is your opinion and exposition is great as long as it's used right. Besides, worldbuilding isn't just exposition.
It is what it needs to be in order to tell a very simple story. More than that and it slows things to a crawl. Exposition CAN be great, but in small doses, unless you're telling a more complex story like a mystery. World building is exposition. If you don't think I'm right, instead of telling me I'm wrong, explain why.
While DBS stories are straightforward, that doesn't take anything away from the flaws of its worldbuilding which is either underutilized or barebones. Just because a story uses its downtime for the chance to expand it's world, abilities, or characters doesn't mean it's unnecessary or takes away from its overall importance. I don't know what stories you've seen or read where a story slows to a crippling crawl, as a result of worldbuilding but that doesn't apply to all accounts. Since good worldbuilding actually enhances the story and provides more opportunities for it to be told in various ways. While exposition can be used to explain worldbuilding, doesn't mean that's the only form of it. A character using a new ability or going to a new location can be an implementation of worldbuilding from an in-universe perspective while using a new area or character to set the theme or tone can be an application from an out of universe one. There are many ways for writers to utilize worldbuilding, I'm just scratching the surface, and can only be heightened in visual pieces of media such as DB.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:11 pm

Lord of the Rings slows to a damn crawl for world building and exposition. Much of it adds NOTHING to the story except page count. I guess that's to be expected given Tolkien created the stories of Middle-earth for his Elvish language to exist in instead of the other way around. Good worldbuilding happens organically within the story and provides NECESSARY context for the story and the characters.

What world building in DB are you looking for?

DB's world building is just fine. It's simplistic, but effective.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:36 pm

ABED wrote:Lord of the Rings slows to a damn crawl for world building and exposition. Much of it adds NOTHING to the story except page count. I guess that's to be expected given Tolkien created the stories of Middle-earth for his Elvish language to exist in instead of the other way around. Good worldbuilding happens organically within the story and provides NECESSARY context for the story and the characters.
Just because it was like that in LOTR doesn't mean it will be like that in other stories, you can't generalize a whole category off one or a few examples.
What world building in DB are you looking for?
To put it simply new locations, characters, power systems, and unique concepts. So, overall what I said above, provide new routes for the stories and characters to go, while also applying concepts in exciting ways. As well as, of course providing a necessary context for the story and characters.
DB's world building is just fine. It's simplistic, but effective.
I'm only about Super, DB-Z's worldbuilding is decent. As far as Super goes it's worldbuilding is trash.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:41 pm

There are whole new universes, there are more gods, there's angels, god ki. All this stuff has happened in Super. How is Super lacking in world building?

My problem with all this is that this isn't actually providing new places for the characters to go. Physically, yes, but how have they developed? What are the obstacles in the way or their goals? Those are questions that should be answered.
Just because it was like that in LOTR doesn't mean it will be like that in other stories, you can't generalize a whole category off one or a few examples.
It's a significant example, and one many people point to as the premiere example of great fantasy world building.

I think we should make this its own thread.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:20 pm

ABED wrote:There are whole new universes, there are more gods, there's angels, god ki. All this stuff has happened in Super. How is Super lacking in world building?
Almost six years later they have done practically absolutely nothing with, yes, what amazing worldbuilding and lore expansion.
It's a significant example, and one many people point to as the premiere example of great fantasy world building.
I don't think that's fair, that was one written by one author and in a different period. Just as there're different people, there's different style of writing too, everyone has something unique to them. Not everyone is going tackle worldbuilding in the same way Tolkien did; likwewise, some writers may not even like him.
I think we should make this its own thread.
Go head.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Grimlock wrote: From what I have observed from you and Doctor. discussions, he just disagrees with your extremely optimistic stance about modern Dragon Ball.
I'm not extremely optimistic. I'm not biased one way or the other.

It's fine to dislike modern DB. That's not the point. But if you criticize it you should at least try to hide your underlying bias. He would criticize modern DB for certain aspects of it, and act as though it is exclusive to modern DB when the same aspect exists in the original series to a similar extent. It was a blatant double-standard, that shows his bias towards pessimism of modern DB.