Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Vijay » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:09 am

Makaioshin wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:40 am
super michael wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:15 am About Pan beating Goten in DBZ 28th Martial Art Tournament Filler.
This battle should have been impossible since both the manga and anime has Goten fighting Buu first, which we see Goten isn't happy he has to fight Buu. This indicates that Goten is weaker than Buu. If Goten lose to Buu, how did he fight Pan?

If we go with the anime this is the power chain:

Pan > Goten > Buu.

I just realized this contradiction in the anime of EOZ. Goten had to have beaten Buu to fight Pan.

I didn't see this deserved its own thread, so I posted it here.
The tournament ends after Goku and Oob leave in the anime. Goten and Pan fight after the crowd has already left.
😂Hilarious man

Its things like this fuels whole strongest Majin, anime Kid Boo debate when for the most part its usually simplistic ans frm Toriyama

Goten/Pan seems to be intended to be slapstick, along with Muten Roshi oogling at TB cheerleaders girls, Good Boo eating all the foods reserved for audiences as Mr. Satan laughs along...so yeah..

Fans tend to overthink, and I'm not goin anywhere near dbgt Pan> Vegito or Rildo>Majin Boo territory like...forveer😂

On topic, I'm kinda enjoying how Toriyama carefully crafted Son Goku as a character since his introduction to his departure with Oob...his growth & development is mind-blowing, so much so it makes Vegeta & Gohan's look small...respect AT for creatin such an iconic anime character that will stand legendary for ages to come.

Some say he was burnout for writing for 11 years straight. I'd say its damn near inspiring as to how his effort/hardwork during that 11 years is appreciated, remembered & is rewarded for the next 30-50 years, perhaps even till the next century☺️✨

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:39 am

Is there ever a reason stated anywhere, in the material or external to it, on how the art style for the Super Saiyan iris/pupil was decided on? Every version of Super Saiyan 1/2/3 for all characters has both pupil and iris the same colour, except for Goku in Super Saiyan 3, where his pupils are shown. Then they bring back the pupils for Super Saiyan God for Goku and Vegeta, but then take them out again for Super Saiyan Blue. And then bring them back for Super Saiyan Blue Evolved on Vegeta.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:20 am

Civic wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:39 am Is there ever a reason stated anywhere, in the material or external to it, on how the art style for the Super Saiyan iris/pupil was decided on? Every version of Super Saiyan 1/2/3 for all characters has both pupil and iris the same colour, except for Goku in Super Saiyan 3, where his pupils are shown. Then they bring back the pupils for Super Saiyan God for Goku and Vegeta, but then take them out again for Super Saiyan Blue. And then bring them back for Super Saiyan Blue Evolved on Vegeta.
I doubt there's any kind of logic to it. It's interesting that Goku's the only one with the pupils in Super Saiyan 3 form, but for all we know, the only reason Gotenks doesn't have similar eyes is because Toriyama made a mistake, and now they're stuck drawing him that way for the sake of consistency with the manga. Or maybe Goku's SS3 eyes were thought to look too intense on Gotenks.

As for God and Blue forms, they probably just went with what they thought would look best. Interestingly, since Blue is the Super Saiyan version of God, it's basically Super Saiyan, but with a different hair color and aura. Regular Super Saiyan already had blue eyes (although, sometimes they were shown as green), so Blue just changed the hair color to match the eyes. For Blue Evolved, they probably gave Vegeta pupils to make it more obvious that he was in a new form.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:05 pm

Not sure where else I should have posted this, but it's concerning nonetheless.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:09 pm

Let's hope Kageyama is vaccinated, in that case I don't think it's that concerning, aside of a couple of days in bed.

--

Can a SS hide their ki? can Goku hide his ki in a certain situation as a SS? or does he have to drop down to his base form in order to do so? Could Cell Games Goku and Gohan hide from somebody as SS?

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:10 pm

Toei Animation are probably half the reason why super saiyan transformations are so iconic, their creative decisions surrounding them really elevated them into something more grandiose than Toriyama originally drew.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:19 am

Thoughts go out to Hinata Kageyama right now, hoping he fights through.

Super Saiyans are the quintessential Dragon Ball Z mcguffin. Scream, power up, hair changes colour. Basically what the average person familiar with the series thinks of its fight as. Sadly original Dragon Ball has mostly been neglected in western countries.

Funnily enough, just watching Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds for the first time now, and after seeing it activated, Spirit Force looks quite like a Super Saiyan.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:20 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:19 am Super Saiyans are the quintessential Dragon Ball Z mcguffin. Scream, power up, hair changes colour. Basically what the average person familiar with the series thinks of its fight as. Sadly original Dragon Ball has mostly been neglected in western countries.
I’d say the Dragon Balls were technically more significant McGuffins than “SSJ”, if the even is one.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:30 am

Makaioshin wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:40 am
super michael wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:15 am About Pan beating Goten in DBZ 28th Martial Art Tournament Filler.
This battle should have been impossible since both the manga and anime has Goten fighting Buu first, which we see Goten isn't happy he has to fight Buu. This indicates that Goten is weaker than Buu. If Goten lose to Buu, how did he fight Pan?

If we go with the anime this is the power chain:

Pan > Goten > Buu.

I just realized this contradiction in the anime of EOZ. Goten had to have beaten Buu to fight Pan.

I didn't see this deserved its own thread, so I posted it here.
The tournament ends after Goku and Oob leave in the anime. Goten and Pan fight after the crowd has already left.
That doesn't make much sense to me. Don't know if this is on Daizenshuu, but the previous tournament didn't end when Goku and the others left to chase Yamu and Spopovich.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:34 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:20 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:19 am Super Saiyans are the quintessential Dragon Ball Z mcguffin. Scream, power up, hair changes colour. Basically what the average person familiar with the series thinks of its fight as. Sadly original Dragon Ball has mostly been neglected in western countries.
I’d say the Dragon Balls were technically more significant McGuffins than “SSJ”, if the even is one.
I understand the Dragon Balls nomination, but as far as Super Saiyan goes, I think you may have an odd/incorrect definition of MacGuffin? A MacGuffin is a plot-driving element that everyone wants to get a hold of but doesn't actually see any usage beyond that, to the point where narratively nothing would change if you swapped it out for something else.
TVTropes wrote: MacGuffin: A plot device which nobody actually uses, and whose nature and identity are basically irrelevant.
The Dragon Balls aren't MacGuffins since they do have a use, they can summon (and have done so many times) a wish-granting dragon. The ability to go Super Saiyan is also not a MacGuffin, because again, it has an actual use beyond driving the story (the characters use Super Saiyan to be able to fight stronger enemies), and this time it's not even an object as MacGuffins tend to be, it's an ability.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:58 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:30 am That doesn't make much sense to me. Don't know if this is on Daizenshuu, but the previous tournament didn't end when Goku and the others left to chase Yamu and Spopovich.
It is just what is in the episode. After Oob and Goku leaves it cuts to the crowd leaving the tournament disappointed and the main cast cheering as Pan and Goten spar in an empty arena among other clips. I believe even the Budokai banner has a sign on it that reads "cancelled."

As for why it happened I don't know. Rules are made up. These scenes are also only in the anime.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:57 am

I was just thinking it was funny Krillin’s hair in the Buu saga was so 90s it made sense for Super to update it something more contemporary but now that hairstyle seems to have made a comeback.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:07 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:57 am I was just thinking it was funny Krillin’s hair in the Buu saga was so 90s it made sense for Super to update it something more contemporary but now that hairstyle seems to have made a comeback.
You Krillin’s “Aloysius O’Hare”-cut is a trend among guys? Ugh god…

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:17 am

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:07 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:57 am I was just thinking it was funny Krillin’s hair in the Buu saga was so 90s it made sense for Super to update it something more contemporary but now that hairstyle seems to have made a comeback.
You Krillin’s “Aloysius O’Hare”-cut is a trend among guys? Ugh god…
That middle part has definitely made its comeback

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:54 pm

Alruneia wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:34 amas far as Super Saiyan goes, I think you may have an odd/incorrect definition of MacGuffin? A MacGuffin is a plot-driving element that everyone wants to get a hold of but doesn't actually see any usage beyond that, to the point where narratively nothing would change if you swapped it out for something else.
Fair.
Anything good never stays dead :wink:

*Vinyl says hi*

*also Dragon Ball*
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:59 pm

It irks me that Frieza (and King Cold)'s bars on their arms and legs aren't colored in the manga, but are plain white instead. It's just.. visually boring. I prefer when it's brown.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:21 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:59 pm It irks me that Frieza (and King Cold)'s bars on their arms and legs aren't colored in the manga, but are plain white instead. It's just.. visually boring. I prefer when it's brown.
I guess the manga implies that the bracers and...leg armor are natural armor, while the anime colors it to match the armor his soldier's put on. Maybe Frieza's soldier's armor designs are based on Frieza's natural armor?

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:16 am

Civic wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:39 am Is there ever a reason stated anywhere, in the material or external to it, on how the art style for the Super Saiyan iris/pupil was decided on? Every version of Super Saiyan 1/2/3 for all characters has both pupil and iris the same colour, except for Goku in Super Saiyan 3, where his pupils are shown. Then they bring back the pupils for Super Saiyan God for Goku and Vegeta, but then take them out again for Super Saiyan Blue. And then bring them back for Super Saiyan Blue Evolved on Vegeta.
I kinda think it sooorta works. Ssj3 is pinnacle sspower so you get pupils. God is pinnacle base Saiyan power so you get pupils.

However ssblue is ssj stacked with God and saw has no pupils so it gets SS eyes. If we saw ss3 blue it'd have pupils.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:27 am

In GT when Goku (and subsequently Vegeta) turn Golden Great Ape, is it specifically said anywhere that they are turning SSJ while in Great Ape form, or is it to do with the amount of Blutz waves they absorb at the time that triggers it?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:26 am

Civic wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:27 am In GT when Goku (and subsequently Vegeta) turn Golden Great Ape, is it specifically said anywhere that they are turning SSJ while in Great Ape form, or is it to do with the amount of Blutz waves they absorb at the time that triggers it?

The GT Perfect Files guidebooks has this to say regarding the Golden Oozaru:

Incidentally, the Super Saiyan legend has a passage saying that they “love destruction and slaughter”, but in actuality everyone retains their reason. However, if you’ll remember, there was a form where even Goku became extremely violent!! That’s right, when he transformed into a Golden Oozaru!! Surely this brutality, destructive power, and large scale are a sign of the legend that tells that they will “love destruction and slaughter”!! One can think of the Golden Oozaru form (which includes Oozaru Baby too!!) as perhaps fit to be called the true Super Saiyan!!

5: Oozaru Baby
Super Baby transformed into this form after being bathed with 1,000 times the normal amount of Bruits Waves!! As the strongest of warriors, who blends together Tsufru science and Saiya power, his power surpasses even Super Goku 4!! Looking at his golden fur, it seems this ought to be considered a warrior evolved from Super Saiyan!!