Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Alruneia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Desassina wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:51 pm Would anyone have wished for Jiren to be called Geran in the West? Does anyone use Top instead of Toppo? From cooking range and table top (or pot) :-)
I know that at least a few users on here prefer "Geran" over "Jiren", though it doesn't seem to be a popular preference generally speaking.
The "Top" vs "Toppo" thing is a bit harder, since the Funimation dub of DBS actually uses "Top". Due to that, I imagine that a lot of more casual fans who mainly just watched the Funimation dub are using "Top" no problem. But people who are more "hardcore" fans and followed the subbed Japanese version are used to it being "Toppo" instead. I can't speak for everybody, but it's weird for me to get used to "Top", I can tell you that much.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:51 am

Alruneia wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 pm
Desassina wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:51 pm Would anyone have wished for Jiren to be called Geran in the West? Does anyone use Top instead of Toppo? From cooking range and table top (or pot) :-)
I know that at least a few users on here prefer "Geran" over "Jiren", though it doesn't seem to be a popular preference generally speaking.
The "Top" vs "Toppo" thing is a bit harder, since the Funimation dub of DBS actually uses "Top". Due to that, I imagine that a lot of more casual fans who mainly just watched the Funimation dub are using "Top" no problem. But people who are more "hardcore" fans and followed the subbed Japanese version are used to it being "Toppo" instead. I can't speak for everybody, but it's weird for me to get used to "Top", I can tell you that much.
Thank you for the answer. Yes, Funimation will either stain or reinforce something, not because of accuracy and faithfulness (or lack thereof), but due to its reach, although the times are different and names like Top don't have to disrespect their origin.

(I like your avatar. It reminds me of Sega Master System's Phantasy Star portraits :-))

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 am

Desassina wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:51 am (I like your avatar. It reminds me of Sega Master System's Phantasy Star portraits :-))
I'm not familiar with that, but thanks! I think. :P
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:15 pm

It's because of these:

http://www.ripplinger.us/camineet/ps1images/

It's a game from a Japanese studio, but the images were so small that their style appeared to be more universal, at least when you compare them to its sequels. That's what your avatar reminded me of ;-)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:14 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:57 pm After more than a decade, I decided to rewatch DBZ anime and I'm surprised how shocking Goku's death can still be for someone who watched DB first.
It is also more shocking to see Yamcha, Chaozu and Tien to die by knowing their backstory from DB.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:29 pm

was doing some research on yyh and stumbled on image of the cast from the time it ended (and huge credit to the yyh4ever page on tumblr, the person who runs that page does a insanely amazing job and this is where i got the image)
and looking at mayumi tanaka in this pic (she's next to chiba) and then just looking stuff up about her, i never realized she was actually pretty young during dragon ball's run. i've always had it in my head that she was around nozawa's but like a bit younger but she's really not, she was only 31 when db started and around 40 when it ended. i'm really not sure why i thought she was so much older then she was but did anyone else ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:16 am

Would you say that DB as a result of how it was written is not as, say, “elaborate” or “high stakes” as certain other anime series are?
Like, the atmosphere is more loose in comparison?

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:39 am

I mean, Toriyama just plans less things out, so any big change for the series is much more likely to be incidental. It also became more formulaic and more repetitive, so your mileage may vary on whether that's a tonal decision or if the writing is just...kinda bad. I tend to lean more toward the latter. The series made a transition from gags, to whimsical action, to full-on action, back to whimsical action, and is now struggling in an awkward midpoint between all three as Toriyama does the bare-minimum for setting up something less-boring than GT, and Toei and Toyotaro struggle to fill in the blanks with anything more interesting than Toei's old filler plotlines. The atmosphere is "loose" and the plot doesn't feel "high stakes" because the series isn't the best at establishing atmosphere or stakes. Even if you think it was before, it's definitely gotten worse at it.

But also, other shonen action series tend to take what Dragon Ball started and alter and refine it in various ways. The reason One Piece, Naruto and the like feel more planned than DB (not that I think Naruto's overarching plot is particularly compelling, but it does have one) is partially because the creators recognized the erratic nature of DB's storytelling as, if not an outright flaw, something they didn't want to do.

So the ways in which DB-inspired shonen series are different from it are just as much a result of its influence as the ways in which they are the same.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:03 pm

Has anyone outside the Netherlands ever bought any Dragon Ball stuff on Marktplaats? I'm looking at some stuff there but I can't register my account as they are looking for a Dutch phone number (which I don't have). Thanks.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:04 pm

How do you think the fandom would handle the introduction of a Super Saiyan transformation named something starting with J? Would the people who already write "SSJ" go over to "SS", or would they call it "SSJJ" and constantly have to specify that "SSJ" means Super Saiyan 1 and not this new form?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:20 pm

I think the SSJ shorthand needs to be done away. It’s just downright silly and cringy especially when fans who otherwise exclusively use dub names like Bulla and Hercule and Krillin use SSJ.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:32 pm

Alruneia wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:04 pm How do you think the fandom would handle the introduction of a Super Saiyan transformation named something starting with J? Would the people who already write "SSJ" go over to "SS", or would they call it "SSJJ" and constantly have to specify that "SSJ" means Super Saiyan 1 and not this new form?
I don't know why people insist on abbreviating it SSJ, anyway. I guess they just love stretching their sub muscles. lol

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:32 pm
Alruneia wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:04 pm How do you think the fandom would handle the introduction of a Super Saiyan transformation named something starting with J? Would the people who already write "SSJ" go over to "SS", or would they call it "SSJJ" and constantly have to specify that "SSJ" means Super Saiyan 1 and not this new form?
I don't know why people insist on abbreviating it SSJ, anyway. I guess they just love stretching their sub muscles. lol
It’s not just sub fans. Dub only fans use it too and it’s always been weird.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:49 pm

For the same reason Faulconer videos have random japanese text in them.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:48 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:39 am I mean, Toriyama just plans less things out, so any big change for the series is much more likely to be incidental. It also became more formulaic and more repetitive, so your mileage may vary on whether that's a tonal decision or if the writing is just...kinda bad. I tend to lean more toward the latter. The series made a transition from gags, to whimsical action, to full-on action, back to whimsical action, and is now struggling in an awkward midpoint between all three as Toriyama does the bare-minimum for setting up something less-boring than GT, and Toei and Toyotaro struggle to fill in the blanks with anything more interesting than Toei's old filler plotlines. The atmosphere is "loose" and the plot doesn't feel "high stakes" because the series isn't the best at establishing atmosphere or stakes. Even if you think it was before, it's definitely gotten worse at it.

But also, other shonen action series tend to take what Dragon Ball started and alter and refine it in various ways. The reason One Piece, Naruto and the like feel more planned than DB (not that I think Naruto's overarching plot is particularly compelling, but it does have one) is partially because the creators recognized the erratic nature of DB's storytelling as, if not an outright flaw, something they didn't want to do.
Could you elaborate this one?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:09 pm

Uh, not really? I think "Dragon Ball's writing is kind of all over the place" is a pretty lukewarm take.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm

I was thinking, it's too bad Kai removed that filler of Roshi going over the back story of the Red Ribbon Army, only because I would have loved to see how The CW would get around Officer Black. They'd probably just cut out his scenes and/or replace them with others, but I smirked at the idea of him getting the Blue Popo treatment.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:27 pm

KPike87 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm I was thinking, it's too bad Kai removed that filler of Roshi going over the back story of the Red Ribbon Army, only because I would have loved to see how The CW would get around Officer Black. They'd probably just cut out his scenes and/or replace them with others, but I smirked at the idea of him getting the Blue Popo treatment.
Didn’t 4Kids dub of One Piece lighten the skin of potentially racially insensitive characters or something? They’d probably had done that if CW’s BS&P standards found Black’s design to be problematic

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:30 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:27 pm
KPike87 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm I was thinking, it's too bad Kai removed that filler of Roshi going over the back story of the Red Ribbon Army, only because I would have loved to see how The CW would get around Officer Black. They'd probably just cut out his scenes and/or replace them with others, but I smirked at the idea of him getting the Blue Popo treatment.
Didn’t 4Kids dub of One Piece lighten the skin of potentially racially insensitive characters or something? They’d probably had done that if CW’s BS&P standards found Black’s design to be problematic
Ahh, that is true I think. I never really watched or even looked into that show's TV airing.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:06 am

I just learned today that Goku’s fear of needles is not only in GT, because I was looking for GT clips and found a couple DBZ ones. I’m happy now I can just confidently say “Goku is afraid of needles”, not “Goku is afraid of needles in GT”