Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by omegacwa » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:58 pm

Akamay wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:56 pm So....I noticed on Dragon Ball Legends that Tao Pai Pai doesn't know how to fly.
Shouldn't he be able to? I mean........it was his brother that introduced the whole concept into the series.
I'm not sure he is ever shown flying. He always does the "tossing a log and jumping on it" thing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:02 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:42 pm yeah plus i don't think HBK ever wrestled in Japan consistently. think he just went from AWA to WWF and then stayed there.
Those were the national territories he wrestled in. He wrestled in a few territories in his earlier years, like World Class, UWF, St. Louis, and Tennessee, but he wasn't a notable wrestler before the AWA. Anyway, I can see why one would think it was based on him, but I don't think that's the case. Paroshki is definitely based on Big Van Vader.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:59 pm

omegacwa wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:58 pm
Akamay wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:56 pm So....I noticed on Dragon Ball Legends that Tao Pai Pai doesn't know how to fly.
Shouldn't he be able to? I mean........it was his brother that introduced the whole concept into the series.
I'm not sure he is ever shown flying. He always does the "tossing a log and jumping on it" thing.
Yeah, he is never shown flying, but shouldn't he know how to do it?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:47 pm

On that same note, shouldn't Freeza's soldiers use jetpacks? Some of them have those laser guns because they can't shoot ki blasts, no?
I don't know if it's that the Frieza soldiers can't use ki blasts or of their weapons are just stronger. As for Tao, well just because someone you're related to knows how to do something doesn't mean they're going to teach you. Gohan doesn't know how to use Instant Transmission or the Spirit Bomb.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:17 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:47 pm I don't know if it's that the Frieza soldiers can't use ki blasts or of their weapons are just stronger. As for Tao, well just because someone you're related to knows how to do something doesn't mean they're going to teach you. Gohan doesn't know how to use Instant Transmission or the Spirit Bomb.
I would assume that they are not able to control their powers well, that's why they have machines that help them. You usually see lower classes of soldiers with them. Let's say you have someone that cannot fly and cannot shoot ki blasts, having them use a jetpack and blaster would help. They may not be strong individually, but those soldiers always attack in large groups.

As for Tao, yeah "just because you're related to someone doesn't mean that they have to teach you", but the series state that the Crane Hermit and Tao were the ones that trained Tenshinhan and Chaozu. You would assume that they would at least share some of their techniques.
Besides, some people can learn techniques by seeing it. Kuririn, Goku and a bunch of the others knew how to fly without learning it from Tenshinhan. Knowing that something is possible would be enough for someone to try to figure it out on their own.
Even if Tao was not taught by his brother, he should still be skilled enough to figure it out, no?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:33 pm

But it's also pretty clear that when we first meet Tenshinhan, he has surpassed his master. You're assuming Crane Hermit taught that technique to Tenshinhan.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Not sure its thread worthy or not, but, if Crane Hermit and Roshi are about the same age, and Roshi has been around for 300 years, then how is Crane Hermit still alive, and how old is Tao?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:33 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:33 pm But it's also pretty clear that when we first meet Tenshinhan, he has surpassed his master. You're assuming Crane Hermit taught that technique to Tenshinhan.
Crane Hermit, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu all utilized bukujutsu. It would seem that would insinuate it was a technique of the Crane Hermit school.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 am

Jackalope89 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:48 pm Not sure its thread worthy or not, but, if Crane Hermit and Roshi are about the same age, and Roshi has been around for 300 years, then how is Crane Hermit still alive, and how old is Tao?
I believe there was a flashback of young Roshi and Shen, which does tell us that they were both students of Mutaito. No mention is made of Tao, I think, though. It could be inferred that they found the same method of immortality somehow, although Tao does look significantly younger than either of the other two.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:23 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:33 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:33 pm But it's also pretty clear that when we first meet Tenshinhan, he has surpassed his master. You're assuming Crane Hermit taught that technique to Tenshinhan.
Crane Hermit, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu all utilized bukujutsu. It would seem that would insinuate it was a technique of the Crane Hermit school.
Did The Crane Hermit fly? I don't remember that.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:20 am

ABED wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:23 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:33 pm
Did The Crane Hermit fly? I don't remember that.
i'm pretty sure he does during the 23rd Budokai, after Tenshinhan beats Tao.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:11 pm

If Super Dragon Ball Heroes were to ever get dubbed, which I highly doubt it would, would it be cool if Xeno Goku was voiced by Peter Kelamis?
Caulifla best girl! :)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:11 pm If Super Dragon Ball Heroes were to ever get dubbed, which I highly doubt it would, would it be cool if Xeno Goku was voiced by Peter Kelamis?
Good luck getting Schemmel to work with him lol :lol:

On a more serious note, I think it'd be a cooler idea to get Jeremiah Yurk (Blue Water GT Adult Goku) for the role, since Xeno Goku is very clearly a GT nod, what with being able to go SSJ4 and all.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:51 pm

I like that Mike and the moderators can articulate a cogent response. Other fansites and facebook pages aren't quite as good. Even if I disagree, I can respect them.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:18 am

Just realized something about the Cell arc. When his victims are revived at the end... a whole bunch of people must've respawned in the middle of the sea where Cell blew up those islands. Including cripples and frail old folks and babies. Oh god.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:57 am

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:18 am Just realized something about the Cell arc. When his victims are revived at the end... a whole bunch of people must've respawned in the middle of the sea where Cell blew up those islands. Including cripples and frail old folks and babies. Oh god.
And the people killed by Dr. Gero and that one guy by Vegeta get to stay dead.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:13 pm

Not (much) related to DB, but why 80's to 90's anime had no problem on having like 2 openings and 2 endings on the original run while later 2000's animes had like 3 openings and dozens of endings?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:39 pm

Does anyone have a link to that dragon ball mural that Herms (with the collaboration of different artists) did some time ago? i can't find it anywhere.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:50 pm

dbs fanboy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:39 pm Does anyone have a link to that dragon ball mural that Herms (with the collaboration of different artists) did some time ago? i can't find it anywhere.
do you mean this viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32357 ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:00 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:50 pm
dbs fanboy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:39 pm Does anyone have a link to that dragon ball mural that Herms (with the collaboration of different artists) did some time ago? i can't find it anywhere.
do you mean this viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32357 ?
Yes, thanks dude :P
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote: