Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:26 pm

Even assuming that they actually are hairless. Actually humans no matter where they come from always have thin hair on their skin, you just can't necessarily easily see them. Its a scientific fact.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:39 pm

They. Are. Not. Human. They. Are. Saiyans.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:38 pm

I don't remember, how did they revive Freeza after he was killed by Freeza? They couldn't revive him with the Dragon Balls like everyone else, he already got revived when he was killed by Piccolo?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:18 am

BagetaSama wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:38 pm I don't remember, how did they revive Freeza after he was killed by Freeza? They couldn't revive him with the Dragon Balls like everyone else, he already got revived when he was killed by Piccolo?
If you mean Kuririn he was revived by the Namekian dragon Porunga, not Shen Long. Porunga can bring back the dead no matter how many times they died.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:34 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:39 pm They. Are. Not. Human. They. Are. Saiyans.
i mean with the way db uses Human, they kinda are. it's not like raditz or vegeta ever tell goku or gohan they're not humans, and it's not like gohan/goten/trunks are said to be half human/half saiyan, in the series itself it's always half earthling/half saiyan. saiyans aren't earthlings but they are humans, and afaik someone like reacoom would also fit under that.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:29 am

Was there being 4 of Zeno's Guards an art error? I don't recall if they ever showed up afterwards, and in the manga there still are only two.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:54 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:39 pm They. Are. Not. Human. They. Are. Saiyans.
They're biologically compatible with Earthlings, and both are ape races, as Frieza likes to remind them. The Dragon Ball universe isn't necessarily realistic when it comes to these things. Every planet is full of not unfamiliar creatures as one might expect, being from completely different evolutionary trees altogether, but creatures similar to those found on Earth. Namek has dinosaurs. Beerus is a cat. Dyspo is a rabbit. And in that sense, Saiyans are humans. They're just not Earthlings. It's in keeping with Japanese traditions, not science.

In the Dragon Ball universe, every humanoid is a human, but they may have a different animal as their base. Earthlings and Saiyans are ape-based humans, and other races are humans based on other animals. Even gods are kind of higher-order humans, separated from the others by their natural immortality.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:11 pm

Yeah, based on how Goku has been hospitalized and treated without issues or even having to explain to the doctors he is an alien as a prevention measure (they couldn't believe he flew away, meaning nothing in his biology hinted at him being a different lifeform), we can say that biologically saiyans are human. Or as close as it can get.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:17 am

Koitsukai wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:11 pm Yeah, based on how Goku has been hospitalized and treated without issues or even having to explain to the doctors he is an alien as a prevention measure (they couldn't believe he flew away, meaning nothing in his biology hinted at him being a different lifeform), we can say that biologically saiyans are human. Or as close as it can get.
*Krillin gets punched in the gut and collapses to the ground.*

Krillin: "Ah! My organs!"

Vegeta: "Hahahaha! Inferior human organs!"

*Goku punches Vegeta in the gut.*

Vegeta: "Ow! My squeedly spooch!"

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:10 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:17 am
Koitsukai wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:11 pm Yeah, based on how Goku has been hospitalized and treated without issues or even having to explain to the doctors he is an alien as a prevention measure (they couldn't believe he flew away, meaning nothing in his biology hinted at him being a different lifeform), we can say that biologically saiyans are human. Or as close as it can get.
*Krillin gets punched in the gut and collapses to the ground.*

Krillin: "Ah! My organs!"

Vegeta: "Hahahaha! Inferior human organs!"

*Goku punches Vegeta in the gut.*

Vegeta: "Ow! My squeedly spooch!"
LOL got the Invader Zim reference there, love it. :D
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:21 pm

I will take my free time to just say (er, more like vent) how fucking stupid it is for there to be essentially two different canons for one single story (DBS). No one knows what is by Toriyama, there can be no true consensus, and just shows how little the writers or organizations care for the actual story.
It's not even a smart marketing strategy. Because there is such a difference in the qualities of the manga and anime, there is also a large rift between the manga fans and the anime fans, thus less fans would be willing to consume both products and opt to focus on one of them.
I really do hope things will return to normalcy if the anime will continue production, with the anime following the manga's telling of the Moro arc instead of creating its story independently.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Slangh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Slangh » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Not to mention that Earthlings and Saiyans produce healthy, fertile offspring. They are practically the same species if they are that compatible.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:25 pm

Slangh wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:31 pm
Not to mention that Earthlings and Saiyans produce healthy, fertile offspring. They are practically the same species if they are that compatible.
I think it would be the most fair to say that Saiyans are to Homo sapiens like the neanderthals were to Homo sapiens. Both distinct enough to be classified in separate taxa but not too dissimilar to be biologically compatible.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:55 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:25 pm
Slangh wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:31 pm
I think it would be the most fair to say that Saiyans are to Homo sapiens like the neanderthals were to Homo sapiens. Both distinct enough to be classified in separate taxa but not too dissimilar to be biologically compatible.
Yeah, they do seem like a physically evolved version of earthlings, they are stronger while retaining the intelligence. They have adapted to a greater gravity, aside of the tail and the effect the full moon has on them, there doesn't seem to be differences between them.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:00 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:55 pm Yeah, they do seem like a physically evolved version of earthlings, they are stronger while retaining the intelligence. They have adapted to a greater gravity, aside of the tail and the effect the full moon has on them, there doesn't seem to be differences between them.
This is essentially the main reason why I was utterly pissed at that stupid Episode of Bardock. There is no way in hell these pink blobby creatures would have evolved into Homonids, much less an already intellegent species.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:07 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:30 pmPerhaps. I'm just not sure that all Saiyans were supposed to look like they are Japanese.
Well, I guess so. I mean Mr. Satan has vibes of an western character to me, hence why he has visibile chest hair.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:07 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:30 pmPerhaps. I'm just not sure that all Saiyans were supposed to look like they are Japanese.
Well, I guess so. I mean Mr. Satan has vibes of an western character to me, hence why he has visibile chest hair.
General Blue is clearly Western and he has no visible chest hair so I theorize that have visible chest hair in the show you must have a lot of it. Or its simple laziness or not caring.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:15 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:09 pmGeneral Blue is clearly Western and he has no visible chest hair so I theorize that have visible chest hair in the show you must have a lot of it.
General Blue is also gay. So he's made to fit a...different stereotype.

**Shudders, remembering the "long lost brother" scene.**

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:23 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:18 am
BagetaSama wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:38 pm I don't remember, how did they revive Freeza after he was killed by Freeza? They couldn't revive him with the Dragon Balls like everyone else, he already got revived when he was killed by Piccolo?
If you mean Kuririn he was revived by the Namekian dragon Porunga, not Shen Long. Porunga can bring back the dead no matter how many times they died.
They revived him months later after the Namek arc was over?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:37 pm

They revived everyone on Namek before teleporting them to Earth. That included Krillin and Vegeta. And then the Grand Elder, after serving his purpose of living long enough to let the others use the Dragon Balls, got to die a second time in the same day. lol