Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by jamiljamtheman » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:44 am

I’m finally watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood for the first time, 6+ years after watching and loving the 2003 series. And as I was looking up how sometimes anime adaptations like that turn out completely different than their manga, Dragon Ball Super came to mind.

It’s pretty unique, to me. Both an anime and a manga, but instead of one being an adaptation of the other, they’re both their own interpretations of the same main ideas and core plot developments (Toriyama’s notes). How fascinating!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:50 pm

to be honest the main thing i've gotten from watching FMA:B for the first time is god damn do i wish minami takayama was in any dragon ball series. such a amazing voice actress.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:06 am

In my current re-watch of Dragon Ball, it occurred to me that Gohan raging and becoming an SSJ2 when Android 16 is squashed feels like a reverse callback to Android 8 getting angry when he thinks White killed Goku. And there's parallels in general between the relationship between Goku and 8 and Gohan and 16 (8x2=16). Can't believe I never thought about this. :wtf:
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:42 pm

Masako Nozawa is 85 today! :clap:
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:31 pm

Courtesy of JulieYBM's twitter:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:06 am

I watched yesterday the Garlic Jr. movie, and I loved when after thinking they had defeated Garlic, Goku and Piccolo just go ahead and duke it out. Everything was going to shit, and they were still fighting each other until that worm hole started to get serious. They always teased each other about it in the main continuity, but never really did anything, but here they actually wanted to kick their asses. And also cool that Goku valued Piccolo enough to save him from the worm hole. One moment he wants to break his nose, the next one he is saving his ass. Goku being Goku.

Also, been wondering if Nappa might've gotten his head shaven in those decades between Planet Vegeta going boom and coming to Earth, and not actually gone bald.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:10 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:06 am I watched yesterday the Garlic Jr. movie, and I loved when after thinking they had defeated Garlic, Goku and Piccolo just go ahead and duke it out. Everything was going to shit, and they were still fighting each other until that worm hole started to get serious. They always teased each other about it in the main continuity, but never really did anything, but here they actually wanted to kick their asses. And also cool that Goku valued Piccolo enough to save him from the worm hole. One moment he wants to break his nose, the next one he is saving his ass. Goku being Goku.

Also, been wondering if Nappa might've gotten his head shaven in those decades between Planet Vegeta going boom and coming to Earth, and not actually gone bald.
I love how prevalent the Goku vs Piccolo rivalry is in Dead Zone. That scene you're talking about where they start duking it out is my favorite part, as is Piccolo's warning at the end. I'm looking forward to getting to that one in my re-watch.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:29 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:10 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:06 am I watched yesterday the Garlic Jr. movie, and I loved when after thinking they had defeated Garlic, Goku and Piccolo just go ahead and duke it out. Everything was going to shit, and they were still fighting each other until that worm hole started to get serious. They always teased each other about it in the main continuity, but never really did anything, but here they actually wanted to kick their asses. And also cool that Goku valued Piccolo enough to save him from the worm hole. One moment he wants to break his nose, the next one he is saving his ass. Goku being Goku.

I love how prevalent the Goku vs Piccolo rivalry is in Dead Zone. That scene you're talking about where they start duking it out is my favorite part, as is Piccolo's warning at the end. I'm looking forward to getting to that one in my re-watch.
When Piccolo shows up, he tells Goku I'm not here to watch your ass, I have something to settle with these guys. Your throw away line of every rival that never goes anywhere, but here they actually were telling the truth, lol. They had some free time and they went at it.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:04 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:29 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:10 pm

When Piccolo shows up, he tells Goku I'm not here to watch your ass, I have something to settle with these guys. Your throw away line of every rival that never goes anywhere, but here they actually were telling the truth, lol. They had some free time and they went at it.
Which makes it all the more interesting considering what happens in the main series, because once Piccolo had spent that time over a year in training Gohan his rivalry with Goku had pretty much gone by the wayside at that point. I think taking the bullet for Gohan (so to speak) with Nappa's attack was where the change truly cemented itself in him.

I know the movie doesn't quite line up with the manga and anime's events (despite clearly set around that time of Raditz's arrival at the start of Z) but these exchanges clearly pick up from where their fight at the 23rd Budokai had left off in the original DB series.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:36 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:04 pmI know the movie doesn't quite line up with the manga and anime's events (despite clearly set around that time of Raditz's arrival at the start of Z) but these exchanges clearly pick up from where their fight at the 23rd Budokai had left off in the original DB series.
The old movies generally have their own continuity, which is consistent with aspects of the anime, but not entirely. Like Goku telling Janemba in Fusion Reborn only Majin Boo made him go Super Saiyan 3. You could say it takes place in a what-if timeline where Goku was never brought back to life in the Boo arc. In the case of Dead Zone it would have to take place in a timeline where all the events of OG Dragon Ball happened, but for whatever reason Kuririn met Gohan before Goku arrived at Kame House to introduce him to everyone.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:47 am

I find it so weird that whenever a hypothetical fusion, of two MALES, mind you, comes up, (e.g. Gokhan, Vegedock) people on here would use the "they/them" pronouns for those fusions. You guys do realize that fusion (Potara or Metamoran) turns into one person, right? Like for a male/female fusion (like Android 35), it would make sense use "they/them" pronouns for that, because the fusion is literally two genders, gender fluid, if you will. So, I have no problem with that, but for a fusion of TWO MALES? That's where I scratch my head. It's like we don't use "they/them" for Vegetto, or Gotenks, or Merged Zamasu, we use "he/him", because they're all fusions of two males. So why aren't we using those pronouns for fusions we haven't officially seen in the series? I'm genuinely curious, guys.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:33 pm

I find interesting and a bit hilarious that people keep saying/calling "Android 35". I mean, since technically fusions use multiplication, the name should be like "Android 306" instead?

Just kidding. A fusion between them should be called Lapiszuli or Lazupis at this point.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:39 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:33 pm I find interesting and a bit hilarious that people keep saying/calling "Android 35". I mean, since technically fusions use multiplication, the name should be like "Android 306" instead?

Just kidding. A fusion between them should be called Lapiszuli or Lazupis at this point.
A fusion between 17 and 18 should look like this:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:35 pm

Believe it or not, the developers of Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl have teased the possibly of Goku being included as in that game via DLC.

https://screenrant.com/nickelodeon-all- ... er-teased/
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:04 pm

John Pannozzi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:35 pm Believe it or not, the developers of Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl have teased the possibly of Goku being included as in that game via DLC.

https://screenrant.com/nickelodeon-all- ... er-teased/
Sweet! I'd love to see that.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:28 am

Finally finished my DBZ japanese rewatch. The pacing is horrible and I got burned out a couple of times. Kai fast pacing makes it the best way to introduce the series to new audience, even though it has censorship and the music doesn't even come close the to the masterpiece that is Kikuchi's work.

No idea why, but I only noticed atfer all these years that this version from We Were Angels existed. :lol:
It plays in episode 287 when they are talking about sparing Fat Buu.

I will start my GT japanese rewatch soon.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:43 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:28 am Finally finished my DBZ japanese rewatch. The pacing is horrible and I got burned out a couple of times. Kai fast pacing makes it the best way to introduce the series to new audience, even though it has censorship and the music doesn't even come close the to the masterpiece that is Kikuchi's work.

No idea why, but I only noticed atfer all these years that this version from We Were Angels existed. :lol:

Lol I'm currently on the RRA saga in Dragon Ball (it's my first time watching the sub in full for OG DB+Z). Where would you say the pacing was the worst. The Frieza fight, maybe?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:00 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:43 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:28 am Finally finished my DBZ japanese rewatch. The pacing is horrible and I got burned out a couple of times. Kai fast pacing makes it the best way to introduce the series to new audience, even though it has censorship and the music doesn't even come close the to the masterpiece that is Kikuchi's work.

Lol I'm currently on the RRA saga in Dragon Ball (it's my first time watching the sub in full for OG DB+Z). Where would you say the pacing was the worst. The Frieza fight, maybe?
Yeah, it doesn't get worse than that.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:40 pm

I think the horrible pacing is just part of the experience of watching DBZ for the first time. Personally I wouldn't deny new audiences that aspect of the series.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:18 am

Just finished watching Dragon Ball Movie 3: Mystical Adventure for the first time. For years, like with movie 2, I was under the impression that I had watched this, but all I had watched of the OG 3 Dragon Ball movies was Movie 1.

This movie was off-the-wall. It was a largely comedic recap of the first tournament arc and RRA, with Chaozu as Emperor among other thngs. Extremely weird but a lot of fun. It knows how ridiculous it is.