Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by jamiljamtheman » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:58 am

I was educated a bit ago on some of the differences between “anime DBS Goku” and “Manga DBS Goku”, in terms of power and stuff.

Random question - is SDBH’s (the 2018+ anime, specifically) mainline Goku effectively a continuation/evolution of “Anime DBS Goku”? Whereas the Broly movie, and Moro+ Goku in the manga is the continuation/evolution of “Manga DBS Goku”.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:49 pm

Finally finished watching all of Dragon Ball subbed for the first time, and just finished episode 1 of Z subbed.

Just some general thoughts/ranking so far:

The Piccolo Jr. arc, particularly toward the end with some of the art/animation, feels no different from early Z. Honestly, that Z-formula started with the Piccolo Daimao arc. It doesn't feel like a drastic transition since in the manga, the Saiyan arc was just the next arc, not a new series.

Anyway, my ranking so far, beginning with my favorite:

Gold
1. Piccolo Jr. (still)
2. Tenshinhan
3. Piccolo Daimao

Silver
4. Red Ribbon Army
5. 21st Budokai

Bronze
6. Hunt for Dragon Balls
7. Uranai Baba (I know this is truly a bookend to RRA, but for this I'm considering it a separate arc)

EDIT Forgot the Movies

1. DB Movie 3
2. DB Movie 1
3. DB Movie 2
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:00 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:58 am I was educated a bit ago on some of the differences between “anime DBS Goku” and “Manga DBS Goku”, in terms of power and stuff.

Random question - is SDBH’s (the 2018+ anime, specifically) mainline Goku effectively a continuation/evolution of “Anime DBS Goku”? Whereas the Broly movie, and Moro+ Goku in the manga is the continuation/evolution of “Manga DBS Goku”.
When watching Super Dragon Ball Heroes, you have to turn your brain off. None of it makes sense, if you think about it, like, at all. lol

It's basically fan service made semi-official. It's an excuse for cool battles that would likely never happen in canon. Super Saiyan 4 Broly vs a fusion of Vegeta and Trunks. Stuff like that.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:26 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:49 pm Finally finished watching all of Dragon Ball subbed for the first time, and just finished episode 1 of Z subbed.

Just some general thoughts/ranking so far:

The Piccolo Jr. arc, particularly toward the end with some of the art/animation, feels no different from early Z. Honestly, that Z-formula started with the Piccolo Daimao arc. It doesn't feel like a drastic transition since in the manga, the Saiyan arc was just the next arc, not a new series.

Anyway, my ranking so far, beginning with my favorite:

Gold
1. Piccolo Jr. (still)
2. Tenshinhan
3. Piccolo Daimao

Silver
4. Red Ribbon Army
5. 21st Budokai

Bronze
6. Hunt for Dragon Balls
7. Uranai Baba (I know this is truly a bookend to RRA, but for this I'm considering it a separate arc)
I guess I have the same ranking, but I would have the first two arcs higher because I had so many laughs with chibi Goku and chibi Krilin. The manga is fucking fun, but it lacks Goku's cute little voice.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:49 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:26 pm I guess I have the same ranking, but I would have the first two arcs higher because I had so many laughs with chibi Goku and chibi Krilin. The manga is fucking fun, but it lacks Goku's cute little voice.
I do love those early arcs, I just think the later ones are where the story really hit its stride.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:01 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:58 am I was educated a bit ago on some of the differences between “anime DBS Goku” and “Manga DBS Goku”, in terms of power and stuff.

You could say that, yeah, you also have GT Goku running around. But like ZeroNeonix said, for SDBH you need to turn off your brain, one episode doesn't necessarily follow the next, actually one scene might have nothing to do with the previous one.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:06 pm

Watched DBZ Movie 1: Dead Zone last night, first time subbed. I haven't really commented on Piccolo's Japanese voice, but I love the arrogance in the delivery. I love that this DBZ movie came out at a time where Goku and Piccolo was the predominant rivalry of the series, and that everything was still hinging on a re-match between the two. I love that Kami is prevalent here and that we actually see him in action. I love that Chichi attempts to protect Gohan from Garlic Jr's henchmen; it's probably my favorite moment of Chichi over any scene Toriyama wrote. I'll know for sure as I get further on, but pretty sure this is one of my Top 3 Dragon Ball movies.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:08 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:06 pm Watched DBZ Movie 1: Dead Zone last night, first time subbed. I haven't really commented on Piccolo's Japanese voice, but I love the arrogance in the delivery. I love that this DBZ movie came out at a time where Goku and Piccolo was the predominant rivalry of the series, and that everything was still hinging on a re-match between the two. I love that Kami is prevalent here and that we actually see him in action. I love that Chichi attempts to protect Gohan from Garlic Jr's henchmen; it's probably my favorite moment of Chichi over any scene Toriyama wrote. I'll know for sure as I get further on, but pretty sure this is one of my Top 3 Dragon Ball movies.
I love Furukawa's Piccolo voice. I like how he puts so much energy into the battle scenes with his yells and shouts. I also like how he can go from playing a character like General Blue to Piccolo, both arrogant villains but with entirely different natures.

Piccolo also has that classic badass intro scene with his theme track playing. All of Kikuchi's music in this movie was fire. I like the feeling of that scene where Garlic summons Shenlong. Also the final score after Garlic's defeat is an all-time great.

The artwork and animation is great as well. One of my favorite shots is when Gyuumao and Chichi are on the ground and telling Gohan to run away.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:25 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:06 pm Watched DBZ Movie 1: Dead Zone last night, first time subbed. I haven't really commented on Piccolo's Japanese voice, but I love the arrogance in the delivery. I love that this DBZ movie came out at a time where Goku and Piccolo was the predominant rivalry of the series, and that everything was still hinging on a re-match between the two. I love that Kami is prevalent here and that we actually see him in action. I love that Chichi attempts to protect Gohan from Garlic Jr's henchmen; it's probably my favorite moment of Chichi over any scene Toriyama wrote. I'll know for sure as I get further on, but pretty sure this is one of my Top 3 Dragon Ball movies.
I watched it not too long ago. Piccolo being an actual rival to Goku is what I enjoy the most. They fight each other the moment Garlic is out of sight, lol.
The non-super saiyan movies are really nice, they have a DB vibe, the cast being mostly Goku, Krilin, Roshi, Oolong, Bulma... I think the Slug or Turles movie were the last movies with a DB vibe, although they had also Z vibe movies as well.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:07 pm

It’s easily my favorite Dragon Ball movie and the very first thing from Dragon Ball I watched subbed.

Also MyVisionity already mentioned the music but I’m going to add it’s also easily Kikuchi’s best work.

The iconic music that plays when Garlic Jr opens the Dead Zone that I think most fans will associate with Goku turning Super Saiyan for the first time? That unforgettable “The Battle is Over”’music at the end? Another bad ass arrangement of Piccolo’s theme (can’t go wrong with that!) the divine music when Kami stands against Garlic Jr? And that absolute fire mash up of Mystical Adventure and Piccolo’s theme when Goku and Piccolo join forces? Great stuff and I’m glad most of it was used pretty often in the latter Saiyan and Namek arc

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:31 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:08 am The artwork and animation is great as well. One of my favorite shots is when Gyuumao and Chichi are on the ground and telling Gohan to run away.
The art-style/animation in Dead Zone is my absolute favorite look for Dragon Ball animation. It's got a grit to it that is entirely missing from modern Dragon Ball content (although the Broly movie came close to capturing it).
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:25 am I watched it not too long ago. Piccolo being an actual rival to Goku is what I enjoy the most. They fight each other the moment Garlic is out of sight, lol.
The non-super saiyan movies are really nice, they have a DB vibe, the cast being mostly Goku, Krilin, Roshi, Oolong, Bulma... I think the Slug or Turles movie were the last movies with a DB vibe, although they had also Z vibe movies as well.
It truly was a special time in Dragon Ball for those who love the old status quo. Piccolo and Goku being arch rivals is great, and I love Bulma and those others being there, even though Krillin is almost a complete goofball in Movie 1. It works for this movie though. Even Garlic Jr. feels in-line with Piccolo Daimao/Piccolo Jr. as a villain, and I love his ties to the Piccolo/Kami lore and that he achieves immortality.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:07 pm It’s easily my favorite Dragon Ball movie and the very first thing from Dragon Ball I watched subbed.

Also MyVisionity already mentioned the music but I’m going to add it’s also easily Kikuchi’s best work.

The iconic music that plays when Garlic Jr opens the Dead Zone that I think most fans will associate with Goku turning Super Saiyan for the first time? That unforgettable “The Battle is Over”’music at the end? Another bad ass arrangement of Piccolo’s theme (can’t go wrong with that!) the divine music when Kami stands against Garlic Jr? And that absolute fire mash up of Mystical Adventure and Piccolo’s theme when Goku and Piccolo join forces? Great stuff and I’m glad most of it was used pretty often in the latter Saiyan and Namek arc
I noticed a lot of those musical cues upon my re-watch. Definitely some of Kikuchi's best pieces; very interesting to hear them in the scenes they were originally written for, despite how iconic they are in later usage. I love that the movie built up Piccolo as the terrifying, dramatic figure he still is to the good guys, and Kikuchi's theme here heightens that. Right now, I'm thinking World's Strongest is my favorite, but Dead Zone might end up a close 2nd.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:32 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:25 amHis birth year is 737
Not according to and if you go by Dragon Ball Minus and Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:53 am

Do Tambourine, Timbal and the other Piccolo Daimaoh's children count as namekians?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:13 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:53 am Do Tambourine, Timbal and the other Piccolo Daimaoh's children count as namekians?
I guess? In a roundabout way? Daimao, himself, is a Namekian only by virtue of being the evil within the Nameless Namekian given corporal form.

I don’t think I’d consider them Namekians.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:19 pm

Is Piano one of his children? I can't remember, but it seems that most of them are demons themed after medieval fantasy creatures, Piccolo himself reminding me of a goblin.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:26 pm

Looking forward to the official Ultra Ego colors. I saw some pretty interesting fan-colorings of Granolah and the Cerelian dragon and stuff, so I wonder how close or far the fan-renditions of Ultra Ego will turn out to be.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:27 pm

Well, well, well. This is the second time Tarble is mentioned by name in these "outside materials" (ever since his allusion in Movie 14, at least as far as I can tell).

Still no image, though. What did the guy do to deserve such treatment? I mean, it's cool that they remember him but c'mon... Show him already.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:25 am

Today I learned that the Pioneer DVD for Dead Zone has a misprint in it's insirt. The bottom lists it as Worlds Strongest

It's corrected in the jewelcase version

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:04 am

I'm rewatching the android arc, and boy there's a lot of filler scenes. I'm past Vegeta vs 18, and there are several episodes where there's like 5-10 minutes of going over DB fights, and filler scenes involving Maron and the turtle, Roshi even explains the RR arc to Maron lol... my last Z rewatch was in 2018, I didn't remember there was so much padding.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:02 pm

I heard all of the interactions and side quests from DBZ: Kakarot are canon, is that true? cuz I didn't see any sources
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!