Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:45 pm

Big Boss wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:01 pm Does anyone know how far in advance Toei would have info on Toriyama's plans for his next chapters? Obviously given the amount of time it took to create an episode with Cel Animation you would think it would be far in advance, but given Toriyama's style of winging it I'm curious as to how much time Toei had to plan the storyboard and production schedule for each episode.

The reason I ask this is because Battle Point Unlimited was released in March 1991, 8 months before Toriyama released the chapter with Trunks showing up for the first time. This made me wonder if BPU was never actually meant to be Trunks' theme and was just a random, throwaway song that Yamamoto put on the Hit Song Collection album it was featured on.
Sounds like it was just something the music editor repurposed as Trunks theme song. Like when “the water returns” more or less became Chi Chi’s motif or when “Goku and Chi Chi to the rescue” became a Red Ribbon Army theme

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:46 pm

Does anyone else find it weird none of Goku’s friends attended his wedding? I realize it was more for Chi Chi but none of them? Not even Roshi who ya know had ties to the bride and groom?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:46 pm Does anyone else find it weird none of Goku’s friends attended his wedding? I realize it was more for Chi Chi but none of them? Not even Roshi who ya know had ties to the bride and groom?
I noticed that too when re watching ep 153 recently and it made no sense to me, i definitely would've expected them to show up as Goku's guests being his closest friends and all. Very curious and rather large omission there as i don't get why they wouldn't have been invited to attend so really would like to know what was going on with that. Surely they could have included and shown them all at the end scene even if just briefly.

It would've been great if they were all there, because usually it's most everyone you know personally who's invited to your wedding close friends and immediate/extended family alike.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:30 am

Yamcha: "Hey, doncha think we should go to Goku's wedding?"

Bulma: "Ha. Right. Goku doesn't even know what marriage means. I give them a week max. There's no way this will last."

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:33 pm

Big Boss wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:01 pmThe reason I ask this is because Battle Point Unlimited was released in March 1991, 8 months before Toriyama released the chapter with Trunks showing up for the first time. This made me wonder if BPU was never actually meant to be Trunks' theme and was just a random, throwaway song that Yamamoto put on the Hit Song Collection album it was featured on.
Also funny how this track only played this one time in the whole series...
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:55 pm

Noah wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:33 pm
Big Boss wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:01 pmThe reason I ask this is because Battle Point Unlimited was released in March 1991, 8 months before Toriyama released the chapter with Trunks showing up for the first time. This made me wonder if BPU was never actually meant to be Trunks' theme and was just a random, throwaway song that Yamamoto put on the Hit Song Collection album it was featured on.
Also funny how this track only played this one time in the whole series...
I find it kind of funny how funny the track was released so many months in advance of Trunks' arrival in both the manga and anime, and the episode where he slices up Freeza is literally the only time it ever played (albeit twice) then never showed up again anywhere within the show itself. I wouldn't be surprised if it was intended specifically for that and nothing beyond. As to whether it wasn't actually intended to be, who knows?
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:44 pm

Goku took over a day to travel back to Lord Enma from Kaio's in the Saiyan Arc, so I wonder, if he ever took a nap on his way back or if he made it all the way there without really resting unlike he did on the way to Kaio's.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:53 pm

If Battle Point Unlimited was released eight months before Trunks debuted in the manga its more than reasonable that Kenji Yamamoto didn’t compose the song with a then non-existent character in mind

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:26 pm

One thing that's a little strange about the Pride Troopers is the fact that Jiren is far stronger than the team's leader, Toppo. While I think this was just an attempt to subvert expectations of the team leader always being the strongest, I realised that some of the most popular superhero teams in fiction have similar power imbalances. The first major superhero team in Western comic books, the Justice Society, had a founding lineup consisting mostly of "street level" heroes, guys with maybe one power each, if that. You had Atom, who was just a boxer with a Napoleon complex. You had Mr. Terrific, a millionaire ace who was just naturally talented at everything. Then you had the Spectre, who literally had godlike reality warping powers bestowed by a divine being. Life ain't fair.

Even with more mainstream teams like the Avengers, Thor and Hulk are the physically strongest members but neither of them are leaders, if anything they're the biggest outcasts.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:25 am

Brute strength alone does not make for a good leader, a good leader needs managing a social skills to get the most out of the people they lead.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:57 pm

After more than a decade, I decided to rewatch DBZ anime and I'm surprised how shocking Goku's death can still be for someone who watched DB first.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:22 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:26 pm One thing that's a little strange about the Pride Troopers is the fact that Jiren is far stronger than the team's leader, Toppo. While I think this was just an attempt to subvert expectations of the team leader always being the strongest...
Jiren is an anti-social stoic who did not even consider his pride trooper peers to truly be his friends. Toppo, on the other hand, is the most passionate about the Pride Trooper cause more than the others, and we see that he coordinates the team very effectively in missions, while Jiren is meditating somewhere else in some secluded mountain or something.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:02 am

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:22 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:26 pm One thing that's a little strange about the Pride Troopers is the fact that Jiren is far stronger than the team's leader, Toppo. While I think this was just an attempt to subvert expectations of the team leader always being the strongest...
Jiren is an anti-social stoic who did not even consider his pride trooper peers to truly be his friends. Toppo, on the other hand, is the most passionate about the Pride Trooper cause more than the others, and we see that he coordinates the team very effectively in missions, while Jiren is meditating somewhere else in some secluded mountain or something.
Yeah, that was something that kinda bothered me. Why is Jiren with the Pride Troopers? What does he get out of it? He doesn't seem to care about protecting others or "justice." Is he just hoping to one day get a call from the troopers about the guy who killed his family and friends? Who knows? TOEI didn't seem to care. In the manga version, though, he seems to have a completely different personality, which was weird at first, but he seems like a better fit for the Pride Troopers in that adaptation. Seems to be more active with the group, rather than just meditating alone somewhere until Toppo calls him.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:24 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:02 am
PurestEvil wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:22 am
Yeah, that was something that kinda bothered me. Why is Jiren with the Pride Troopers? What does he get out of it? He doesn't seem to care about protecting others or "justice." Is he just hoping to one day get a call from the troopers about the guy who killed his family and friends? Who knows? TOEI didn't seem to care. In the manga version, though, he seems to have a completely different personality, which was weird at first, but he seems like a better fit for the Pride Troopers in that adaptation. Seems to be more active with the group, rather than just meditating alone somewhere until Toppo calls him.
His master literally told him to I think it was his last order.
He did it so Jiren would learn to trust others and stuff, but Jiren never realised that and just stayed in there because it was the last order he was given.
I'm pretty sure this is explained in the manga.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:32 am

TobyS wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:24 pmHis master literally told him to I think it was his last order.
He did it so Jiren would learn to trust others and stuff, but Jiren never realised that and just stayed in there because it was the last order he was given.
I'm pretty sure this is explained in the manga.
Ah. Well, at least we some justification. Would be nice if they fleshed out his story a little more. His backstory is very barebones and cliched. When he's a child, his family and everyone he knows is killed by a villain, so he begins his quest of power and revenge. Never heard that one before! And the kicker...we never see the villain, or even get his name. Do they have any plans to bring the villain back, have him and Jiren face off? Maybe, but I kind of doubt it. Unless they have something akin to the History of Trunks special planned for him, I don't expect we'll be seeing much more of the character.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:04 pm

I like these brief moments in time where a new character is in the manga, but has no official colorization yet. I’ve seen several fan-made color schemes for
which I think are all cool, and I remember at least a couple different color schemes fans gave Granola before his official color reveal.

And who can forget Toei’s glorious Vegeta color scheme from the beginning of Dragon Ball Z? :D

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:15 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:26 pm One thing that's a little strange about the Pride Troopers is the fact that Jiren is far stronger than the team's leader, Toppo. While I think this was just an attempt to subvert expectations of the team leader always being the strongest, I realised that some of the most popular superhero teams in fiction have similar power imbalances. The first major superhero team in Western comic books, the Justice Society, had a founding lineup consisting mostly of "street level" heroes, guys with maybe one power each, if that. You had Atom, who was just a boxer with a Napoleon complex. You had Mr. Terrific, a millionaire ace who was just naturally talented at everything. Then you had the Spectre, who literally had godlike reality warping powers bestowed by a divine being. Life ain't fair.

Even with more mainstream teams like the Avengers, Thor and Hulk are the physically strongest members but neither of them are leaders, if anything they're the biggest outcasts.
Atom never struck me as having a Napoleon complex.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:31 am

jamiljamtheman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:04 pmWho can forget Toei’s glorious Vegeta color scheme from the beginning of Dragon Ball Z? :D
I'm surprised they didn't just ask Toriyama what his colors should be.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:40 pm

Found out Scott McNeil filled in for King Kai in the later ocean dub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diWJKA5P1O8

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:51 pm

Would anyone have wished for Jiren to be called Geran in the West? Does anyone use Top instead of Toppo? From cooking range and table top (or pot) :-)