Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:48 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:12 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:00 pmIMO, Tarble is probably canon, but we likely won't see him again. He's a boring character without much to offer. I doubt Toriyama even remembers he exists.
If anything, I think Toriyama is the one remembering Tarble exists. He got mentioned in Movie 14 and in Movie 1, whereas he was forgotten in both Toei's and Toyotaro's continuities. Otherwise, if Toei/Toyotaro had remembered him, why wouldn't they include at least a mention in their own medium?
Honestly, excluding him from the anime version of Battle of Gods makes sense to me. In the movie, it makes Vegeta seem like a hateful, pig headed idiot for refusing to even try to locate his brother for the ritual. I mean, he's willing to try almost anything to save his family from destruction, including humiliating himself to keep Beerus calm, but reuniting with his brother for two minutes is out of the question? At least in the anime, you can say everyone just forgot about Tarble.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:16 pm

Kai keeps Freeza being in the anime version of hell and Bardock’s confrontation and end of planet Vegeta at the beginning of Kai is straight from tv special instead of the Minus inspired Super Broly retelling so Kai doesn’t exactly match up with Super anymore better than Z aside from the same composer for the Boo saga and Super.

Toei’s unofficial stance on continuity seems to be “*shrug* If Toriyama’s story later contradicts us oh well”
Oh for sure it doesn't line up perfectly it just has far less problems fitting in than DBZ does. This is DB afterall. It's got tons of nits to pick everywhere as far as inconsistent continuity.

I'm aware Toei doesn't give 2 dragon balls about it. I was just explaining how I personally choose to view everything. It seems to work for me.
Grimlock wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:48 pm Do you consider the lack of a mention to Tarble to be an "iffy" thing?
Depends, where is the lack of Tarble being mentioned pose a problem with continuity. Just from my memory you are saying he was mentioned in BoG but not in the Anime? Either way yeah..I don't think the mentioning or not mentioning of a character from a rather obscure OVA disqualifies anything in MY mind.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:08 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:56 pm Depends, where is the lack of Tarble being mentioned pose a problem with continuity. Just from my memory you are saying he was mentioned in BoG but not in the Anime? Either way yeah..I don't think the mentioning or not mentioning of a character from a rather obscure OVA disqualifies anything in MY mind.
I think they explicitly say there were only 4 Saiyans who survived Planet Vegeta's destruction. It would be one thing if Vegeta was surprised by his brother being alive, but it's definitely a retcon that he's written as though he's always known his brother was alive. Also, why not go to Tarble for help instead of Raditz's brother?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:07 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:08 pm
Tylerman29 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:56 pm Depends, where is the lack of Tarble being mentioned pose a problem with continuity. Just from my memory you are saying he was mentioned in BoG but not in the Anime? Either way yeah..I don't think the mentioning or not mentioning of a character from a rather obscure OVA disqualifies anything in MY mind.
I think they explicitly say there were only 4 Saiyans who survived Planet Vegeta's destruction. It would be one thing if Vegeta was surprised by his brother being alive, but it's definitely a retcon that he's written as though he's always known his brother was alive. Also, why not go to Tarble for help instead of Raditz's brother?
Tarble is not mentioned in the Super anime correct?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:24 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:07 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:08 pm
Tarble is not mentioned in the Super anime correct?
Dunno, I've never seen Super.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:45 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:48 pmHonestly, excluding him from the anime version of Battle of Gods makes sense to me. In the movie, it makes Vegeta seem like a hateful, pig headed idiot for refusing to even try to locate his brother for the ritual. I mean, he's willing to try almost anything to save his family from destruction, including humiliating himself to keep Beerus calm, but reuniting with his brother for two minutes is out of the question? At least in the anime, you can say everyone just forgot about Tarble.
I don't remember how the scene plays out exactly in Toei's continuity, but if they followed Toriyama's one, Beerus was impatient to get Super Saiyan God and any delay would get things from bad to worse. There was simply no time to try to locate anyone away from Earth.
Tylerman29 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:56 pmDepends, where is the lack of Tarble being mentioned pose a problem with continuity. Just from my memory you are saying he was mentioned in BoG but not in the Anime? Either way yeah..I don't think the mentioning or not mentioning of a character from a rather obscure OVA disqualifies anything in MY mind.
As said, there is the thing that was adamantly established that only four Saiyans survived, spoken by Raditz and Vegeta. The latter didn't even consider to think about Tarble when Future Trunks first appeared and once again was certain that the only Saiyans alive were him and Goku.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:11 pm

How did FUNi edit the episode where Freeza impales Kuririn? That scene didn't last an entire episode, and yet an episode worth of content was edited out what FUNi calls "The Frieza Saga".

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:50 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:11 pm How did FUNi edit the episode where Freeza impales Kuririn? That scene didn't last an entire episode, and yet an episode worth of content was edited out what FUNi calls "The Frieza Saga".
My memory is worse than most but I'm pretty sure it was handeled a lot like Raditz being impaled by the Makankōsappō. Freeza rushes Krillin, stabs him, we see no bulging or tearing flesh, brief shot of the wound with a few specks of blood, and then Freeza throws him aside.

EDIT: As usual the internet is here to help. Looks like I was mostly right.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:38 pm

My question wasn't about that one specific edit. It's how they edited out an entire episode worth of footage without excising an actual episode.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:36 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:38 pm My question wasn't about that one specific edit. It's how they edited out an entire episode worth of footage without excising an actual episode.
I think they just cut little bits and here to make up an episode worth of footage loss.

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:13 am

ABED wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:38 pm My question wasn't about that one specific edit. It's how they edited out an entire episode worth of footage without excising an actual episode.
They also edited out a chunk of the next episode, where Freeza beats the crap out of Gohan, as well as some random extra scenes. It totals almost a full episode in length. The edited episode is a bit longer than usual as well, and doesn't have a NEP.

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:13 am

I’m amazed they actually showed Freeza’s horn poking out of Kuririn. That was a pretty seamless edit as well, despite how against censorship I am.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:50 pm

ikaos wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:13 am
They also edited out a chunk of the next episode, where Freeza beats the crap out of Gohan, as well as some random extra scenes. It totals almost a full episode in length. The edited episode is a bit longer than usual as well, and doesn't have a NEP.
Thanks and welcome to the forum

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:12 pm

Xell wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:13 am I’m amazed they actually showed Freeza’s horn poking out of Kuririn. That was a pretty seamless edit as well, despite how against censorship I am.
It's a very well done edit which is kind of funny because it makes the scene play out more similarly to how it is in the manga. I always wonder how it would have been handled under Saban's censorship. Probably just reaction shots and a lot of paint.
ABED wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:50 pm Thanks and welcome to the forum
Thanks, been a lurker for years. About time I joined.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:38 pm

Anyone up for a Dragon Quest talk? Like I said in another thread, I have started playing Dragon Quest 8 due to all the things I saw at the Jump Festa event and decided to know this franchise starting by this game as I have the PlayStation 2 emulator. I already took a look at the previous and the next games, seems cool but their style and such aren't my preference (though I am watching someone playing Dragon Quest 11, I'm finding it very great too).

You guys have no idea how much I'm loving this game, it's just too bad that only now I came across it. Lots of stuff to do, a massive map, characters wield likeable weapons, possibilities, it is very beautiful, thanks to Toriyama artstyle which I already find it to be quite beautiful. I have to say that while playing it, I'm getting a lot of Dragon Ball Online feelings/vibes, probably thanks to the camera position and the weird fact that the protagonist wears a yellow overcoat, just like in Dragon Ball Online. :lol:
Dragon Quest 8 also shares a lot of similarities with my all-time favorite RPG, Legend of Legaia (and its sequel: Legaia 2: Duel Saga), which gets me even deeper in the "comfort zone". I'm no stranger to RPG games indeed, but there are a few games that unfortunately I simply can't "engage" (namely the Final Fantasy franchise). But this one, gosh... As soon as I started playing, I can't stop anymore.

I don't know anything about Dragon Quest other than what I'm seeing in Dragon Quest 8, so please feel free to present myself to curiosities, secrets, information and whatnot about the game and the franchise itself. I'm willing to give the new anime a try, by the way.

(if it is too off-topic, then alright. I can just talk about its similarities with Dragon Ball Online then).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:50 am

I most certainly am game for talk about Dragon Quest!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:40 pm

So most of the comparisons and threads are old at this point but I was wondering about the Blue bricks vs the Saga singles for Dragon Ball. I already own the Blue Bricks but recently have had more of an interest in the Japanese version of all dragon ball content. (recently got the dragon box Z from funi,new toei movie and special remasters on a USB, and the Gt singles). I tested the waters with the GT singles by buying a single disc to compare to my green bricks and I much preferred the presentation on the singles so I went ahead and got them all...the green bricks look too smudged and blurred.

So I guess I'm asking for either a comparison of the Saga sets vs blue bricks to see if I should invest in hunting them all down. Is the difference the same as with the GT releases(seasons are blurred to hell and the singles closer to the Dbox experience)? What can I expect video and audio wise(GT singles seem louder and clearer in JP compared to green bricks) and which is the best experience to watch in Japanese for an American release.

The first 13 episodes I guess I'll have to settle for the blue bricks

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:05 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:40 pm So most of the comparisons and threads are old at this point but I was wondering about the Blue bricks vs the Saga singles for Dragon Ball. I already own the Blue Bricks but recently have had more of an interest in the Japanese version of all dragon ball content. (recently got the dragon box Z from funi,new toei movie and special remasters on a USB, and the Gt singles). I tested the waters with the GT singles by buying a single disc to compare to my green bricks and I much preferred the presentation on the singles so I went ahead and got them all...the green bricks look too smudged and blurred.

So I guess I'm asking for either a comparison of the Saga sets vs blue bricks to see if I should invest in hunting them all down. Is the difference the same as with the GT releases(seasons are blurred to hell and the singles closer to the Dbox experience)? What can I expect video and audio wise(GT singles seem louder and clearer in JP compared to green bricks) and which is the best experience to watch in Japanese for an American release.

The first 13 episodes I guess I'll have to settle for the blue bricks
Even with the Saga sets you still don't have the second opening, other three closing animations or next episode previews which the DB Dragon Box and corresponding single discs contain, so they are already not consistent with the Z Dragon Boxes or GT singles in that aspect. As far as Sagas vs Bricks past the first arc apparently the seasons are more or less sourced from the same digibeta tape masters which the former were with a little frame zooming to cover up damage and some noise reduction, though not nearly to the extent of the Orange Bricks as well as being the proper 4:3 and the Saga sets have some rather bad compression/artifacting due to FUNi's less than great of the time encoding.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:56 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:05 pm

Even with the Saga sets you still don't have the second opening, other three closing animations or next episode previews which the DB Dragon Box and corresponding single discs contain, so they are already not consistent with the Z Dragon Boxes or GT singles in that aspect. As far as Sagas vs Bricks past the first arc apparently the seasons are more or less sourced from the same digibeta tape masters which the former were with a little frame zooming to cover up damage and some noise reduction, though not nearly to the extent of the Orange Bricks as well as being the proper 4:3 and the Saga sets have some rather bad compression/artifacting due to FUNi's less than great of the time encoding.
Is the encoding even worse than the GT singles? I just find the blue bricks to be too clean looking which is a similar problem that I had with the GT seasons. Like if you had to choose 1 to watch for the Japanese experience which would you choose? or are they just too similar to matter?

I ordered a couple cheap saga sets just to see for my self regardless, but a few seem to be hard to come by.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:51 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:56 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:05 pm

Is the encoding even worse than the GT singles? I just find the blue bricks to be too clean looking which is a similar problem that I had with the GT seasons. Like if you had to choose 1 to watch for the Japanese experience which would you choose? or are they just too similar to matter?

I ordered a couple cheap saga sets just to see for my self regardless, but a few seem to be hard to come by.
It's on par with the GT single discs as they were more or less released at around the same time. They are basically just about similar in terms of the video source only the DB sets have noise reduction compared to the Saga sets though to a lesser extent than either the Z and GT sets.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)