Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by The Monkey King » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:01 pm

A lot of the time I have random thoughts and musings about the DB franchise that I want to share with the Kanzenshuu community but then I think it's not thread worthy material.

So I decided to create this thread where we can post our own random musings about Dragon Ball and perhaps discuss them for a bit.

One of these recent thoughts I had is that now that we've seen Future Trunks kill Dabra it's occurred to me that this is the 2nd time Trunks could've had a sword duel with an enemy but nothing game of it. The 1st being Kogu from the Bojack film. It got me thinking that there have indeed been very few weapon on weapon fights in DB history. I can only think of Goku armed with his nyoi bo taking on Murasaki the ninja and Garlic Jr's henchmen.

I think some new weapon fights would be nice to see and a welcome change of pace.

I also noticed a little parallel between Goku and Vegeta. The 1st Dragon Ball Goku ever acquired was the 4 star ball given to him by Grandpa Gohan. While the first Dragon Ball Vegeta ever acquired was the 4 star ball on Namek after killing the Namek elder and stealing it:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I find this is a good showing of Goku and Vegeta being opposites at this stage of the series.

Feel free to discuss my post or post your own random thoughts and findings about Dragon Ball.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: Non thread worthy discussions

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Prior to the resurection F movie, Mark was the only character to never die in all of Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Prior to the resurection F movie, Mark was the only character to never die in all of Dragon Ball.
But even in death, he was still the champ.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:33 pm

Mira is awesome. Mira and Hit interacting would be awesome, but they're really not that similar.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:18 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Prior to the resurection F movie, Mark was the only character to never die in all of Dragon Ball.
Even then, he technically didn't die because Whis rewound time.

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:48 am

precita wrote:
Even then, he technically didn't die because Whis rewound time.
He also likely died in Mirai Trunks' timeline. Unless he's alive which would be hilarious. Future Satan pushing through some rubble to challenge Black sounds like a possibility with Toriyama.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:19 pm

Dragon Ball's technology far surpasses ours, however, they still use landlines.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:31 pm

ABED wrote:Dragon Ball's technology far surpasses ours, however, they still use landlines.
I've always been confused what time period DB is based in. It's like a combination of the past, present, and future. :lol:
MyAnimeList | AniList

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:33 pm

And Kaioshin too, I think.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:49 pm

Doctor. wrote:
And Kaioshin too, I think.
Well, if we're counting gods and stuff, Enma never dies either.

Baba never gets killed in the series, if I recall correctly, which would make her the longest-lived earthling by far, going by both the in universe timeline,and the release date of the series itself.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:00 pm

Does Roshi ever die? I know he's immortal, but still.
MyAnimeList | AniList

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:01 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Does Roshi ever die? I know he's immortal, but still.
In Dragon Ball, yes. Second time is by Boo turning him into candy, and third is when Freeza destroys Earth.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:28 pm

Man, I have several thoughts about this exact topic.
Here are some examples:

1) The existence of anthropomorphic animals in Dragon Ball makes me believe that they were the result of unethical experiments and their descendants were eventually able to co-exist with humans after some social turmoil. (Sort of like a RIGHTS FOR FURRIES! revolution)
2) If the Dragon Ball Universe is shaped like a ball, then how is the physical universe shaped like? It's certainly not spherical or oval, etc.
3) Given the shape and size of the Earth's continents in Dragon Ball, there is probably some kind of "Great Ocean" on the other side of the planet.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:36 pm

Has anyone wondered how can a TV work at KameHouse considering the fact that's a house in the middle of a small island with no source of electricity.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Has anyone wondered how can a TV work at KameHouse considering the fact that's a house in the middle of a small island with no source of electricity.
Never realized that. Good observation! :lol:
MyAnimeList | AniList

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Maybe DB lives in a time where houses have Iron Man arc reactor like tech.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:36 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Has anyone wondered how can a TV work at KameHouse considering the fact that's a house in the middle of a small island with no source of electricity.
Ever heard of generators?

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:45 pm

The lead character 180 that the Buu arc gives us and the ensuing Kid Buu battle are pretty forced and inorganic, but at the same time, it feels like Goku and Vegeta are taking it upon themselves to put away the monster they're responsible for letting out, which makes me more appreciate the direction that arc took.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Zephyr wrote:The lead character 180 that the Buu arc gives us and the ensuing Kid Buu battle are pretty forced and inorganic, but at the same time, it feels like Goku and Vegeta are taking it upon themselves to put away the monster they're responsible for letting out, which makes me more appreciate the direction that arc took.
Vegeta more than Goku is responsible for Buu.
Luso Saiyan wrote:
Ever heard of generators?
But i doubt it would be a gas powered generator.

Does it bug anyone else when the characters say what literally just happened? For instance, after someone hits someone in the face, the camera will cut to another character who will say "He punched him in the face!"

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:55 pm

ABED wrote:
Zephyr wrote:The lead character 180 that the Buu arc gives us and the ensuing Kid Buu battle are pretty forced and inorganic, but at the same time, it feels like Goku and Vegeta are taking it upon themselves to put away the monster they're responsible for letting out, which makes me more appreciate the direction that arc took.
Vegeta more than Goku is responsible for Buu.
Vegeta is more responsible, but only a bit. Goku went right along with it, instead of ending it right there with 3.