Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by John Pannozzi » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:10 pm

Here's a recent interview with James Marsters regarding Dragon Ball Evolution, which he claims he knew was doomed from his first day on set. Sounds like a fun read.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:46 am

John Pannozzi wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:10 pm Here's a recent interview with James Marsters regarding Dragon Ball Evolution, which he claims he knew was doomed from his first day on set. Sounds like a fun read.
Well he redeemed himself when he played Zamasu in the Dub. People only had praise for Dub Zamasu and it's well-deserved. So, good for him.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:27 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:40 pmIf Bulma's age was stated to be X and BoG said her age was Y, that would be a retcon, No? What's so strange or surprising about that? Retcons happen all the time, that's no reason to ignore the most recent statement.
I agree. Going by what Movie 14 states, Bulma was born in AGE 740, effectively making her nine years old by the time she meets Goku (who was twelve, turns out Goku is older than Bulma!). Nevermind the fact that Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman takes place one year before that, where it was stated Bulma was five years old (turning six).

As for Mai that was brought up, going by what Movie 14 states, she was born in the same year as Goku, which means she is twelve by the time Pilaf saga happens. Can we safely and assuredly say this lady right here is twelve years old?

Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:59 pm

I'm surprised that Vegetto haircut (two bangs) still wasn't recycled to any other character, as far as I remember.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:08 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:27 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:40 pmIf Bulma's age was stated to be X and BoG said her age was Y, that would be a retcon, No? What's so strange or surprising about that? Retcons happen all the time, that's no reason to ignore the most recent statement.
I agree. Going by what Movie 14 states, Bulma was born in AGE 740, effectively making her nine years old by the time she meets Goku (who was twelve, turns out Goku is older than Bulma!). Nevermind the fact that Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman takes place one year before that, where it was stated Bulma was five years old (turning six).

As for Mai that was brought up, going by what Movie 14 states, she was born in the same year as Goku, which means she is twelve by the time Pilaf saga happens. Can we safely and assuredly say this lady right here is twelve years old?

These chronological inconsistencies between the original manga/anime and Battle of Gods in this regard date wise are just baffling, because how could Bulma have possibly been nine (or five in Jaco) when she was obviously SIXTEEN years old in DB Ch/Ep 1? Plus, the thing with Mai makes no sense either, because in the original Dragon Ball she was clearly a grown woman who was MUCH older than twelve. Clearly she was born years before Goku (Kakarott) so the BOG stating of the dates here fundamentally clash with the timeline as laid out in the original manga and anime.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:15 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:08 pmThese chronological inconsistencies between the original manga/anime and Battle of Gods in this regard date wise are just baffling, because how could Bulma have possibly been nine (or five in Jaco) when she was obviously SIXTEEN years old in DB Ch/Ep 1? Plus, the thing with Mai makes no sense either, because in the original Dragon Ball she was clearly a grown woman who was MUCH older than twelve. Clearly she was born years before Goku (Kakarott) so the BOG stating of the dates here fundamentally clash with the timeline as laid out in the original manga and anime.
Exactly. I don't know what they had in mind to decide their ages, but even if "AGE 778" wasn't in their minds for this movie, it definitely can't take place before AGE 776 (due to Tarble's mention) or after AGE 778 (due to Videl's pregnancy), so even if we try to place this movie in any other possible year, these problems would still be there.

This just goes to show that we shouldn't go blind into any new information and accept it as true without any critical thinking before. "Retcon" does happen all the time, yes, but that's exactly why we should be cautious about it, and if needed, to ignore the most recent statement if it brings more problems than it solves.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:01 pm

Is there a better option for talking about the return of a Youtuber than here? I did not feel like opening a new post because I kinda don't like that much to be in the spotlight (bad things happens when you do... and you kinda lose freedom...) so anyway

I have this friend from Australia mate! who had a DB channel, he closed it and reopened it, then he closed it and reopened it just now!! he does dragon ball analysis with a bit of humor and he dresses up as kaioshin. Honestly I started to watch him cause unlike other Youtubers he has a non american and not from england english and as non-native I wanted to learn it. So I offered myself to do the subtitles to latin american spanish language for his videos. It's no profit, although done with Quality so I can put in my C.V. in the case someone wants to hire me to do it in their own videos (wink, wink)

Check out the latest video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhK1ri01yFY&t=190s

Peace.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:35 am

Dragmobot12 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:19 pmHonestly, the only bad character design from Nagayama so far is Hearts.
Nagayama didn't design Hearts. In fact, he hasn't designed anyone for Dragon Ball Heroes. That game's character designs are made by Dimps (and Shueisha may or may not be part of that process).

Toriyama and Toyotaro are, so far, the only ones we know that have provided designs for this game.
Dragmobot12 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:19 pmSDBH is a promotional anime/manga, you literally have Bardock fighting Bardock and all that messy stuff
More importantly, Dragon Ball Heroes is an arcade game. But no, you literally don't have Bardock fighting Bardock. They have never crossed paths until this very moment. But even if they had, what's "messy" about it?

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:29 pm

Has anybody ever addressed of why Goku, Vegeta and F. Trunks back and fourth trips between present and future timeline never created new ones?

Wasn't that a established rule by the Android arc? The whole reason why Cell timeline exists is because Trunks came back to warn Bulma that he met Goku, right?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:56 pm

Noah wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:29 pm Has anybody ever addressed of why Goku, Vegeta and F. Trunks back and fourth trips between present and future timeline never created new ones?

Wasn't that a established rule by the Android arc? The whole reason why Cell timeline exists is because Trunks came back to warn Bulma that he met Goku, right?
Once the timelines are "linked" and you don't change the settings on the time machine you don't change anything/create a new timeline as long as the same time differential is maintained.

Super changed what we assumed before, that any change creates a new timeline but super seems to retcon this by saying it has to be a sufficiently large paradox.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:38 pm

Noah wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:29 pm Has anybody ever addressed of why Goku, Vegeta and F. Trunks back and fourth trips between present and future timeline never created new ones?

Trunks' future and the main cast's present are two separate timelines. The first time Trunks travelled back in time, it created the new timeline, because events were changed. However, the future of the main timeline is not set, so Trunks returning from his future doesn't necessitate a new timeline.

Cell, however, split both timelines when he stole Future Trunks' time machine and travelled to the main timeline, because he travelled to the main timeline to get to the other androids before the heroes could, thus changing how the events in the main timeline occur. Now there's another timeline out there where the androids were successfully destroyed, and where Trunks has future knowledge of Cell, as well as the strength to destroy him within his own timeline.

In Super, Trunks did not create new timelines just by travelling back and forth, because he wasn't changing events in the main timeline. However, he did spur on the investigation into Goku Black's origins, resulting in Zamasu's treachery being discovered. Beerus destroys Zamasu, which means he never becomes Goku Black, and that creates a paradox. So now there is probably another present timeline where Zamasu wasn't killed by Beerus. As far as we know, Whis is the only one who can rewind time without creating a paradox in the timeline.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:42 pm

Are the memes taking over Dragon Ball? Surely it's a good time to be a Gohan fan, at least. Two of the most known memes of the 2010s have become official within The Cannons of Dragon Ball, as stated without evidence by Toriyama and/or Shueisha, in the very same month!

Behold! Gohan Black and Gohan Blanco (you can already make a Pokémon game with that title).

Someone needs to edit those images into a box art similar to Pokémon games. :lol:

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:50 am

FatLee wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:26 amThe fact that SSGSS2 doesn’t exist is not in any way, shape, or form “bad writing” - what a ridiculous thing to say. Forms =/= writing quality.
"Bad writing", "stupid decision (in not making it exist yet)", etc, call it whatever you want. Whatever blows your skirt up.
FatLee wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:26 amOne could argue that using the same formula again would be lazy, which is far closer bad writing than the version of events we do have.
What? It is only the natural progression. Laziness is already part of the whole thing from the very beginning, but it is still something one would expect given what's been previously established.

To use Kaio-Ken instead is not a wise decision, from some points of view. There's no denying that Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan 2 is better (and its existence would likely prevent us and the franchise from having random things like "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Evolution", whatever that is...).

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:57 pm

I think they chose not to do numbered upgrades to Blue specifically because everyone saw it coming. Evolution is pretty similar to the imperfected Super Saiyan 2 in appearance, but both Ultra Instinct and Ultra Ego make the idea of a Blue 2 or 3 obsolete. I actually thought Blue Kaioken was creative, and they even gave a good explanation for why Goku never tried Kaioken with other Super Saiyan forms. It looks a little weird, though. lol

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:04 pm

Dragon Ball will always have new transformations because it sells, but I just found out today Sun Wukong had 72 forms...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:59 am

Not so much “forms” as they are transformations, as in the ability to shape-shift into certain things (like people or flies and what not). It’s of note that Wukong’s 72 are in contrast to Bajie’s mere 36 (with Bajie’s lesser number and unconvincing transformations being an underlying point in the development of Oolong’s transformations compared to Pu’er’s superior abilities).

(The Wukong of JttW doesn’t “transform” in the same way as things like power-up transformations in DB. He can grow big, sure, but it’s just a bigger normal him, not a physically transformed different looking beast. He can do the aforementioned shape-shifting, and he can also tear off little hairs from his body and control them, all of which can also shape-shift in their own right.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:42 am

soooooo

how can the androids have kids?
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:20 am

Goku asked the same question, 17 and 18 are still humans for the most part, with some enhancements.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:44 am

BeaBumby wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:42 am soooooo

https://youtu.be/t9O_f6R3Tfo

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:48 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:44 am
BeaBumby wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:42 am soooooo

https://youtu.be/t9O_f6R3Tfo
pffffff hah!
thank you
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!