Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Grimlock » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:41 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Why is Broly's Super Saiyan Berserk form called Super Saiyan Full Power? There's already a form called that, the mastered Super Saiyan form. Why couldn't they just keep the form's name as Super Saiyan Berserk?
"Super Saiyan Berserk" is taken as well.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:32 pm

I always found it weird that “Teen Gohan” is younger/same age in the dub? as “Kid Goku”

Or that Goku in the Piccolo Jr saga is sometimes identified as Teen Goku, which is fair since he’s 18, but 16/18 year old high school student is Adult Gohan.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:58 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Why is Broly's Super Saiyan Berserk form called Super Saiyan Full Power? There's already a form called that, the mastered Super Saiyan form. Why couldn't they just keep the form's name as Super Saiyan Berserk?
Well, apparently Toriyama didn't write in Broly's green form. He was just going to go Super Saiyan and stop there. But TOEI added in the green haired form because they knew Broly fans would demand it. You could think of "Full Power" as more of a description than a name, since it is literally just Broly at full power. Personally, if I could name the form, I would have called it Ancient Super Saiyan, since Vegeta says that it is the "Saiyan's true form" or whatever during the Tournament of Power.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:12 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I always found it weird that “Teen Gohan” is younger/same age in the dub? as “Kid Goku”

Or that Goku in the Piccolo Jr saga is sometimes identified as Teen Goku, which is fair since he’s 18, but 16/18 year old high school student is Adult Gohan.
The dub never called him a teenager, it was because of the games that made such a poor mistranslation

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:I always found it weird that “Teen Gohan” is younger/same age in the dub? as “Kid Goku”

The dub never called him a teenager, it was because of the games that made such a poor mistranslation
I didn’t say the dub did?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Teen Gohan” is younger/same age in the dub? as “Kid Goku”
According to this, you did.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Same age in the dub referring to Cell Games Gohan being 11 instead of 9 making him closer age to Goku at the beginning of Dragon Ball who I think was 11 in both version.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Same age in the dub referring to Cell Games Gohan being 11 instead of 9 making him closer age to Goku at the beginning of Dragon Ball who I think was 11 in both version.
More or less. In the beginning Goku was 12, but thought he was 13 until he learned to count. Both sub and dub.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
More or less. In the beginning Goku was 12, but thought he was 13 until he learned to count. Both sub and dub.
That's actually fourteen he thought he was.

Which reminds me how the old Funi DBZ dub used to just make up Goku's age at random. One episode has Bulma say "I've known Goku since he was five years old" in the Trunks/Android eps, while Funi's official website for DB back in 2001 said something like "he's not your typical eight year old".

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:22 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
That's actually fourteen he thought he was.
And he only thought he was 14 in the Japanese version. The whole him telling Bulma he was 14 in episode 2
was rewritten in the dub.

In the Japanese version he later explained to Kurilin that he thought 14 came after 11 until they learned math from Roshi. In the Funi dub he just said Launch taught him to count without using his fingers and toes.

Which reminds me how the old Funi DBZ dub used to just make up Goku's age at random. One episode has Bulma say "I've known Goku since he was five years old" in the Trunks/Android eps, while Funi's official website for DB back in 2001 said something like "he's not your typical eight year old".
I can’t remember did they leave all those errors in the Android/Cell saga in the remastered sets? Or did they at least fix them there?

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:28 pm

If Funimation were to make a dub of Super Dragon Ball Heroes, which when that's happening is probably never, but if they did, who'd be a good voice actor for Cumber?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:27 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:22 pm I can’t remember did they leave all those errors in the Android/Cell saga in the remastered sets? Or did they at least fix them there?
Most of the redubbing stopped around Season 4... so yeah, the vast majority of dub errors are still there. If anything it's a little worse due to missing audio effects and other issues stemming from the incomplete sound mix that the Remastered dub was based on.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:23 am

Hulk10 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 am Yeah I do. But Trunks is only half Saiyan and isn't a late bloomer. Or... maybe he is. But he doesn't really act like a teenager in DBS. Only Goku acted childish as a teenager. Then again you can't always tell a person's age by how they act.
You know, it's funny (at the same time stupid) that in the Future Trunks arc we got an flashback showing Teen Trunks that should be around the same age as present Trunks, but it a more convincing design of a 14/15 years old kid.

Some say that the reason in-universe why Goten and Trunks are still brats is because the Earth didn't suffered with a long crisis like the future timeline that needed them to have stronger bodies to battle all the time. Which the same I think it's a good theory I also think is bullsh**.
Rubens wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:05 am
Hulk10 wrote:I wonder if Trunks would have to be either 8 or 10 in DBS to be 18 by the end of Z.
I wonder if Super is going to ignore End of Z and follow its own continuity.
Well, I would be fine with it. Super is the official continuity of the anime, not the manga... So it could change whatever it wants as it would not affect the original work in anyway.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Is Broly's skin tone olive or am I just kidding myself?

Also why did Paragus look paler on Planet Vegeta?
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:29 pm

Were the GT NEPs subbed on the singles? On Funimation now, they aren't.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:36 pm

How do you pronounce "wuxia"?
Were the GT NEPs subbed on the singles? On Funimation now, they aren't.
Yes, they were subbed.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:42 pm

I think its pronounced Woo-Shia. But I'm probably wrong.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:43 am

Which North American DBZ release has the best Japanese audio track (Not counting Kai obviously)? Or are they all the same for the most part? And what is the likelihood of ever getting broadcast audio on a home release?
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:06 am

ABED wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:36 pm How do you pronounce "wuxia"?
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:42 pm I think its pronounced Woo-Shia. But I'm probably wrong.
Nope you're indeed correct: it's pronounced Woo-Shyah. X's in Romanized Chinese words are usually pronounced roughly similarly to how English pronounces "Sh".
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:53 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:06 am
ABED wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:36 pm How do you pronounce "wuxia"?
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:42 pm I think its pronounced Woo-Shia. But I'm probably wrong.
Nope you're indeed correct: it's pronounced Woo-Shyah. X's in Romanized Chinese words are usually pronounced roughly similarly to how English pronounces "Sh".
Thanks. I figured that was it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.