Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TobyS
I Live Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by TobyS » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:34 am

BeaBumby wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:02 pm I heard all of the interactions and side quests from DBZ: Kakarot are canon, is that true? cuz I didn't see any sources
I think some of them were toriyamas ideas and designs but so were some anime scenes so....
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:10 pm

This is probably one of the most underrated Super Saiyan transformation scenes we have in the series. I like how is different from most that tend to goes to a full body/face shot first, it starts from its eyebrows, it feels really menacing.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:41 pm

TobyS wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:34 am
BeaBumby wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:02 pm I heard all of the interactions and side quests from DBZ: Kakarot are canon, is that true? cuz I didn't see any sources
I think some of them were toriyamas ideas and designs but so were some anime scenes so....
We know that the Saiyan tail stuff and the Anamaline ("Animorphaline") stuff was directly from Toriyama:

https://imgur.com/gallery/2VSipfk

It's not like Toriyama actually sat and wrote or even otherwise directly approved every single last bit of side-story content in the game. That would have been an incredible selling point that... well, didn't happen.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:19 pm

God I just had a a random thought, imagine being a fan who got into Dragon Ball when Super started airing and seeing Androids 17 and 18 get on so well with the Z-Fighters and fight along side them in the ToP.

Then out of curiosity you'd go back through the franchises history and stumble upon the Trunks Special where you'd see Androids 17 and 18 gang up on a one armed Gohan and mercilessly kill him like nothing.

The whiplash in tone and setting would be absolutely insane.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Honestly I hope not cuz in ome scene it implies Tenshinhan doesn't like Lunch (not even platonically) and that is BULLSHIT they had a thing goin on
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:18 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:56 pm
Honestly I hope not cuz in ome scene it implies Tenshinhan doesn't like Lunch (not even platonically) and that is BULLSHIT they had a thing goin on
Toriyama said she found him but he wasn't really cut out for romance nor her farming or martial arts. She still visits him sometimes.

I take that to mean he's aromantic and they got on with their own lives but maybe hang out and smash once in a while.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:13 pm

TobyS wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:18 pm
BeaBumby wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Toriyama said she found him but he wasn't really cut out for romance nor her farming or martial arts. She still visits him sometimes.

I take that to mean he's aromantic and they got on with their own lives but maybe hang out and smash once in a while.
I bet Tien's main is Captain Falcon.

xm0c

Post by xm0c » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:34 pm

I kinda feel dumb for asking this, but what color is Recoom supposed to represent? The Ginyu Force are suppose to parody Sentai which have their characters differentiated by color, and the Ginyu Force does that with the members' skin tones. Ginyu is Purple (even if that wasn't a color used in Sentai at the time), Butta is Blue, Jheese is Red, and Gurd is Green. But Recoom is the odd one out, as he has Caucasian skin (I even thought he was a Saiyan as a kid), and that's not really an easily distinguishable color.

The two most common answers I see are Yellow and Orange. Orange would probably make most sense with his hair, but even then a lot of merchandise and pictures I see have his hair closer to red than orange.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:56 pm

xm0c wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:34 pm I kinda feel dumb for asking this, but what color is Recoom supposed to represent? The Ginyu Force are suppose to parody Sentai which have their characters differentiated by color, and the Ginyu Force does that with the members' skin tones. Ginyu is Purple (even if that wasn't a color used in Sentai at the time), Butta is Blue, Jheese is Red, and Gurd is Green. But Recoom is the odd one out, as he has Caucasian skin (I even thought he was a Saiyan as a kid), and that's not really an easily distinguishable color.

The two most common answers I see are Yellow and Orange. Orange would probably make most sense with his hair, but even then a lot of merchandise and pictures I see have his hair closer to red than orange.
Good question, don't know why yellow, though. His aura is purple, he is a redhead and is the only non-alien-ish of the bunch. I think Toriyama, with him, was going for the human/earthling of the group.

Here we see green, white, purple, redhair, and blue heads(well, gold and blue, sorta Boca Jrs) aligned. Even though Jeice refers to himself as the Red Magma, and he is, well, fucking red, I also think he represents white colour and Recoom can be red as well.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:12 pm

xm0c wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:34 pm I kinda feel dumb for asking this, but what color is Recoom supposed to represent? The Ginyu Force are suppose to parody Sentai which have their characters differentiated by color, and the Ginyu Force does that with the members' skin tones. Ginyu is Purple (even if that wasn't a color used in Sentai at the time), Butta is Blue, Jheese is Red, and Gurd is Green. But Recoom is the odd one out, as he has Caucasian skin (I even thought he was a Saiyan as a kid), and that's not really an easily distinguishable color.

You’re overthinking it. Recoome isn’t supposed to represent any color he’s just a human looking alien. Toriyama was making fun of the concept of a group of 5 who do stupid poses from Super Sentai not necessarily “This is the red one. This is the blue one etc”

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:07 pm

What's the best place to stay up-to-date with all the available, but unofficial Dragon Ball news? I did use YT for a while, but it's become way too opinionated.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:47 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:07 pm What's the best place to stay up-to-date with all the available, but unofficial Dragon Ball news? I did use YT for a while, but it's become way too opinionated.
Twitter has a lot of opinions too, but it’s pretty good for the news. “Dragon Ball Hype” is an account I like for this.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:13 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:47 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:07 pm What's the best place to stay up-to-date with all the available, but unofficial Dragon Ball news? I did use YT for a while, but it's become way too opinionated.
Twitter has a lot of opinions too, but it’s pretty good for the news. “Dragon Ball Hype” is an account I like for this.
Thanks. Twitter seems horrible, but I'll give Dragon Ball Hype a try.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:50 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:13 pm
jamiljamtheman wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:47 pm
Thanks. Twitter seems horrible, but I'll give Dragon Ball Hype a try.
I second this. Whenever I want to know when a Manga chapter, leaks, episode, or videogame is coming out, that's the guy I go to.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:59 pm

Is “saiyan beyond god” still a thing? I remember it as it was during the RoF movie, Pre-super-anime days. But a quick look at the wiki indicates that it’s still in the DBS anime version of that arc too. Are goku’s SSG transformations in later sagas somehow enhanced by his “saiyan beyond god” state? Years late, I know, but I’m mildly confused.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:15 am

About Pan beating Goten in DBZ 28th Martial Art Tournament Filler.
This battle should have been impossible since both the manga and anime has Goten fighting Buu first, which we see Goten isn't happy he has to fight Buu. This indicates that Goten is weaker than Buu. If Goten lose to Buu, how did he fight Pan?

If we go with the anime this is the power chain:

Pan > Goten > Buu.

I just realized this contradiction in the anime of EOZ. Goten had to have beaten Buu to fight Pan.

I didn't see this deserved its own thread, so I posted it here.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:42 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:59 pm Is “saiyan beyond god” still a thing? I remember it as it was during the RoF movie, Pre-super-anime days. But a quick look at the wiki indicates that it’s still in the DBS anime version of that arc too. Are goku’s SSG transformations in later sagas somehow enhanced by his “saiyan beyond god” state? Years late, I know, but I’m mildly confused.
"Saiyan Beyond God" is a misinterpretation of the Resurrection of F movie pamphlet, which states that, when Goku and Vegeta gain control of God-like power without transforming, instead of Super Saiyan or SSG, they go beyond legend, that is, they turn into SSB. Note that Super Saiyan and SSG were legendary then, so the pamphlet is only saying that they have been surpassed, and that SSB is the form that goes beyond them. In base, Goku and Vegeta can exert themselves to the point of not needing lower forms, which is similar to how Goku could power up Super Saiyan beyond the muscular grades in the Cell Games. They weren't fixed gains, only new heights to climb to, all of them during battle. This is what Goku did by training with Whis and by fighting Freeza before the new forms were shown. That's what gaining control of God-like power is, and the manga showed a SSG image projection like Goku had an Oozaru one against Piccolo Daimao, which is not to say that they have actually transformed or remained that strong.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:40 am

super michael wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:15 am About Pan beating Goten in DBZ 28th Martial Art Tournament Filler.
This battle should have been impossible since both the manga and anime has Goten fighting Buu first, which we see Goten isn't happy he has to fight Buu. This indicates that Goten is weaker than Buu. If Goten lose to Buu, how did he fight Pan?

If we go with the anime this is the power chain:

Pan > Goten > Buu.

I just realized this contradiction in the anime of EOZ. Goten had to have beaten Buu to fight Pan.

I didn't see this deserved its own thread, so I posted it here.
The tournament ends after Goku and Oob leave in the anime. Goten and Pan fight after the crowd has already left.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:12 pm

You’re overthinking it. Recoome isn’t supposed to represent any color he’s just a human looking alien. Toriyama was making fun of the concept of a group of 5 who do stupid poses from Super Sentai not necessarily “This is the red one. This is the blue one etc”
Everyone's overthinking it. He has orange hair ... so orange. I would like to know if there's a whole planet of crazy strong orange haired aliens like Recoome out there.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:35 am

Rewatching and re-reading the 22nd TB and the Piccolo Daimaoh arc, I've noticed Tenshinhan has just one set of abs. At first, I thought it was the animators messing up, but then I saw Toriyama also drew him with just one set of abs... I'm talking about 3 big abs instead of 6.

Maybe a hint at him not being quite human, 3 eyes, 3 abs? because later on, Toriyama draws abs in a regular way, although I should check if Tenshinhan kept having those abs or if he got normal abs... I'm talking way too much about abs, so bye.