Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:22 pm

Are there any notable differences between the single dvd version of “A Hero’s Legacy” and the version included with the season sets? I bought all the gt singles and I’m curious if FUNi applied their “special sauce” DNR to the special like the series.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:22 pm Are there any notable differences between the single dvd version of “A Hero’s Legacy” and the version included with the season sets? I bought all the gt singles and I’m curious if FUNi applied their “special sauce” DNR to the special like the series.
I'm not sure if the version in the green brick set is any similar or different from the single compared to the show itself.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:56 am

I'm planning on watching Dragon Ball Super and some other anime. I'm planning on streaming them through Crunchyroll and FUNimationnow via my Roku. What have your experiences with those two streaming services?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:56 am

ABED wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:56 am I'm planning on watching Dragon Ball Super and some other anime. I'm planning on streaming them through Crunchyroll and FUNimationnow via my Roku. What have your experiences with those two streaming services?
Crunchyroll is pretty good, but the ads are very annoying, if you don't pay to get rid of them. They can take some time to load and I've had the same ad show up multiple times in a row.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:00 pm

This year I'm planning on delving into more anime, but I don't want to watch just Shonen titles (though I'm not opposed). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thus far, I'm thinking of watching Lupin III and Fist of the North Star. Keep in mind, I'm going to be using streaming sites.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:15 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:00 pm This year I'm planning on delving into more anime, but I don't want to watch just Shonen titles (though I'm not opposed). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thus far, I'm thinking of watching Lupin III and Fist of the North Star. Keep in mind, I'm going to be using streaming sites.
If you havent watch it yet, there's a series called Monster by Naoki Urasawa, going by what little i know about you from here, I think you'd love it man ( it's top 3 for me). It's about 60+ episodes long, so its not a drag to get through. It's a Crime/Drama seinen anime.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:42 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:15 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:00 pm This year I'm planning on delving into more anime, but I don't want to watch just Shonen titles (though I'm not opposed). Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you havent watch it yet, there's a series called Monster by Naoki Urasawa, going by what little i know about you from here, I think you'd love it man ( it's top 3 for me). It's about 60+ episodes long, so its not a drag to get through. It's a Crime/Drama seinen anime.
Thanks, what's a seinen anime?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:51 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:42 pmThanks, what's a seinen anime?
A seinen anime is an anime that has adult men (or older teenage boys) as the target demographic. Seinen anime can be a bit like shounen anime, but tackle more mature themes, use more mature language, be a bit darker... That sort of thing.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:12 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:00 pm Thus far, I'm thinking of watching Lupin III and Fist of the North Star. Keep in mind, I'm going to be using streaming sites.
Hokuto No Ken/Fist of the North Star is definitely a must watch, but be aware that the official subtitles available on streaming are somewhat subpar with some unfortunate translation choices. I don't think it's enough to ruin the experience, but I think it's worth noting.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:23 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:15 pm

Yes! Yes to Monster! Everyone go fucking watch that shit right now. It's fantastic.

I think everyone should check out Kimba the White Lion and Astro Boy. Even if you end up not liking the stories too much it's still worth it just to see how the post WWII generation thought about things.

If you're in the mood for movies I think Ringing Bell is a good choice. These are all technically shounen (I think. I'm bad at categorizing) but they're removed enough from the modern mindset and tropes to still feel original.

And if you're looking for something more estrogen-filled Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo is all kinds of good.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:07 am

Have you checked out My Hero Academia? I too only watch select shonen if I've heard great things, but I'm personally enjoying this series from where I am (33 Episodes in).

Steins Gate is good too if your into time travel.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:04 pm

Yeah, My Hero is one of the few other anime besides Dragon Ball that I can get into. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is another easy recommend. Although I'm not sure it is as re-watchable as Dragon Ball.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:31 pm

I’ll never understand the adulation for My Hero Academia. The characters and the animators all need to pop a xanax or 30.

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:31 pm I’ll never understand the adulation for My Hero Academia. The characters and the animators all need to pop a xanax or 30.
The art in the manga was pretty good, haven't read past 3 though. There's way too much teen angst for my taste.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:52 pm

This probably had been asked before: but couldn't they just wish Shenron to bring the Saiyans to an asteroid field so they could be killed before arriving to Earth?

Or that wish would be denied because of the bullsh*t excuse that Shenron can't grant wish to affect people stronger than him?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Noah wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:52 pm This probably had been asked before: but couldn't they just wish Shenron to bring the Saiyans to an asteroid field so they could be killed before arriving to Earth?

Or that wish would be denied because of the bullsh*t excuse that Shenron can't grant wish to affect people stronger than him?
I have absolutely no idea why they made the restriction "can't affect those stronger than Kami" and not "cannot affect those who are beyond Kami's jurisdiction."
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:41 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:38 pm
Noah wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:52 pm This probably had been asked before: but couldn't they just wish Shenron to bring the Saiyans to an asteroid field so they could be killed before arriving to Earth?

I have absolutely no idea why they made the restriction "can't affect those stronger than Kami" and not "cannot affect those who are beyond Kami's jurisdiction."
There are still ways around that. I still prefer more or less the explanation we got where they wanted to bring Goku back, first and foremost, not because he's a weapon in their arsenal, but because he's their friend.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:32 am

What the hell is Spopovich even a pun on?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:52 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:32 am What the hell is Spopovich even a pun on?
That one has never been verified, I don't think. Neither has his partner Yamu. There was a rumor that it was based off of a famous Russian weight lifter, but I don't know anything about that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:05 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:32 am What the hell is Spopovich even a pun on?
Sonofabitch?