Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:30 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:56 pm
TobyS wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:57 amIsn't it a whole thing that generic anime characters, who to westeners look like white people, are supposed to just be japanese unless specified otherwise. It's never been a deliberate thing that anime characters were made to look less japanese? I swear I read an article on this once.
I believe Toriyama said he designed Bulma to look like an American teenager. But the others are probably mostly Japanese. Roshi, Krillin, and Tien definitely look the part.
Perhaps. I'm just not sure that all Saiyans were supposed to look like they are Japanese. But I think maybe we should just not bother our heads about it too much. We can imagine them to be whatever nationality we like. I just assume they have body hair too. Just not a huge amount. Not meaning to offend anyone.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:03 pm

TobyS wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:57 amIsn't it a whole thing that generic anime characters, who to westeners look like white people, are supposed to just be japanese unless specified otherwise. It's never been a deliberate thing that anime characters were made to look less japanese? I swear I read an article on this once.
I believe Toriyama said he designed Bulma to look like an American teenager. But the others are probably mostly Japanese. Roshi, Krillin, and Tien definitely look the part.
Raditz once said that Piccolo managed to singe a few of his leg hairs, which may have been just a figure of speech but its possible that Toriyama just didn't bother to draw body hair for most of the characters. Or the visible body hair could symbolize a lot of body hair.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:37 am

Hulk10 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:30 pm
Perhaps. I'm just not sure that all Saiyans were supposed to look like they are Japanese. But I think maybe we should just not bother our heads about it too much. We can imagine them to be whatever nationality we like. I just assume they have body hair too. Just not a huge amount. Not meaning to offend anyone.
Goku clearly has 0 body hair. Maybe Krillin got him into manscaping.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:44 am

nickzambuto wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:37 am

Not sure about the 0 body hair.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:50 am

Hulk10 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:44 am

ZERO body hair bruh.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:02 pm

nickzambuto wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:50 am

ZERO body hair bruh.
that we can see.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Funny coincidence, I'd been reading Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis and even had a dream about it last night, now suddenly Toyotaro draws Gregory the Cricket, whose name is of course inspired by Gregor Sama, the protagonist of the novel who transforms into a giant insect. That freaked me the fuck out.

Wait, why are we talking about Saiyan arse hair or lack thereof?

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:19 pm

(I'm not gonna bother making a new thread because there's no information on this and is probably nothing)

So it's fairly common knowledge that the reruns of Kai on Nicktoons that have the butchered Kikuchi placement actually restored some uncut lines, though definitely not in every circumstance. I was curious if anyone ever noticed any line differences between the uncut Yamamoto and Kikuchi versions of episodes 1-52? I figured if it could happen one way, maybe it happened the other way? Even the initial cut and uncut Yamamoto swapped lines between the TV and uncut releases, so it's certainly possible.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:35 pm

ZERO body hair bruh.
And what about his front side?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:11 am

Thanks to Laughinstockmedia's latest video I now for the first time realize that Dr. Gero died the same way as #16 would later on; head getting decapitated and then stomped on. And since Toriyama revealed that #16 was based on Gero's son, their deaths are basically a macabre "like father, like son" moment.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:25 am

dbgtFO wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:11 am Thanks to Laughinstockmedia's latest video I now for the first time realize that Dr. Gero died the same way as #16 would later on; head getting decapitated and then stomped on. And since Toriyama revealed that #16 was based on Gero's son, their deaths are basically a macabre "like father, like son" moment.
If only Akira incorporated that idea into the actual story :roll:

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:40 am

Speaking of #16, why wasn't he brought back with the rest of Cell's victims? Does he not count because he's fully mechanical? If so, that's pretty douchy of Shenron. And I think #18 would have appreciated having #16 rebuilt over having her bomb removed. They could have just taken her to Bulma for the latter.

Also, it would have been nice if #17 and #18 started using their real names, although I suspect Toriyama made up those names on the spot in an interview. At least we got some anime confirmation of #17's wife and adopted kids, even if we never actually see them. I mean, seriously. Was there not enough money in their budget for character designs of #17's family?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:16 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:40 am Speaking of #16, why wasn't he brought back with the rest of Cell's victims? Does he not count because he's fully mechanical? If so, that's pretty douchy of Shenron. And I think #18 would have appreciated having #16 rebuilt over having her bomb removed. They could have just taken her to Bulma for the latter.

Also, it would have been nice if #17 and #18 started using their real names, although I suspect Toriyama made up those names on the spot in an interview. At least we got some anime confirmation of #17's wife and adopted kids, even if we never actually see them. I mean, seriously. Was there not enough money in their budget for character designs of #17's family?
I don't think it was ever really explained why No. 16 wasn't brought back after the conclusion of the Cell Games, if it were actually true and Shenron doesn't actually have the power within his ability to revive artificially created beings then that really should've been mentioned at some point in the series.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:48 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:16 am I don't think it was ever really explained why No. 16 wasn't brought back after the conclusion of the Cell Games, if it were actually true and Shenron doesn't actually have the power within his ability to revive artificially created beings then that really should've been mentioned at some point in the series.
I don't see why Shenron shouldn't be able to revive an artificial being. If he can restore an entire planet, including all of the inanimate objects on it, including electronics, why wouldn't he be able to restore a single robot? Who knows. Maybe he really is out there somewhere. After all, we didn't see #17 post-Cell until the end of the Buu arc, which confirmed he was materialized off screen somewhere. So maybe #16 is hiding out in a cabin somewhere, watching the birds and dreaming of murdering Goku. Or maybe Toriyama just forgot about #16. Sometimes it sucks having such a forgetful guy in charge of the series. lol

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:05 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:48 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:16 am I don't think it was ever really explained why No. 16 wasn't brought back after the conclusion of the Cell Games, if it were actually true and Shenron doesn't actually have the power within his ability to revive artificially created beings then that really should've been mentioned at some point in the series.
I don't see why Shenron shouldn't be able to revive an artificial being. If he can restore an entire planet, including all of the inanimate objects on it, including electronics, why wouldn't he be able to restore a single robot? Who knows. Maybe he really is out there somewhere. After all, we didn't see #17 post-Cell until the end of the Buu arc, which confirmed he was materialized off screen somewhere. So maybe #16 is hiding out in a cabin somewhere, watching the birds and dreaming of murdering Goku. Or maybe Toriyama just forgot about #16. Sometimes it sucks having such a forgetful guy in charge of the series. lol
Search me, it could also be reasoned perhaps No. 16 was in fact was restored by the dragon at some point meaning he has the ability to and we just didn't actually see it happen on page/screen or as you say Toriyama just straight up forgot about him.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:16 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:48 am
Perhaps it is a semantics thing. Because an artificial being does not have a soul, and thus are not technically living beings, then they can't be "revived". However, Shenron should be able to have the power to restore a robot/android that has been destroyed (like with the ending of Path to Power), but only if the wish states this directly.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:16 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:40 am Speaking of #16, why wasn't he brought back with the rest of Cell's victims? Does he not count because he's fully mechanical? If so, that's pretty douchy of Shenron. And I think #18 would have appreciated having #16 rebuilt over having her bomb removed. They could have just taken her to Bulma for the latter.

Perhaps #16 was in fact brought back and there never came a time to show him. FighterZ's story mode is the only unique story that has used the character so far, and he has been rebuilt from scratch as if the original was in fact destroyed and never revived, but do not be surprised if Toriyama or Toyotarou in a future story arc show that #16 has, in fact, been alive this whole time.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:22 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:35 pm

ZERO body hair bruh.
And what about his front side?
The only part of adult Goku we haven't seen is his groin. We've seen his chest and his legs and we know he has zero hair in those places. He probably does have pubes but that's it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:06 pm

Do you honestly think Goku would take the time to manscape?

Dude is probably naturally hairless everywhere but the top of his head.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:32 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:06 pm Do you honestly think Goku would take the time to manscape?

Dude is probably naturally hairless everywhere but the top of his head.
I find it ironic that the species more akin to "primates" has less average male body hair than humans