Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:56 pm

Spoiling an element of a movie the day before its official release. Classy.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:05 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:56 pm Spoiling an element of a movie the day before its official release. Classy.
dah shit, i'm so sorry. i forgot to put a spoiler tag.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:22 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:56 pm Spoiling an element of a movie the day before its official release. Classy.
You'll live.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:59 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:05 pm
dah shit, i'm so sorry. i forgot to put a spoiler tag.
Everybody already knew what movie they were talking about. lol

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:05 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:12 pmDragon Ball Evolution got a sequel?
Of course. The sequel was teased all the way back in the post-credit scenes of the first movie (that nobody saw it).
ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:56 pmSpoiling an element of a movie the day before its official release. Classy.
Define "before its official release", please. Is it only the date where you live? Is it the date in the United States? Is it something else?

I mean, I watched it in the cinema on the day it was officially released, how could that be? Also, since you take that as "spoiler":
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:22 pmYou'll live.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:26 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:05 pmOf course. The sequel was teased all the way back in the post-credit scenes of the first movie (that nobody saw it).
I remember that from the movie, back in the day I read that a trilogy of films was planned, the first sequel was to be called "Dragonball Reborn". Suffice to say that was cancelled for obvious reasons.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:11 pm

Rewatching the original Dragon Ball it always bothered me how anticlimactic Goku's last appearance as a child is. Goku showing up all grown up was nearly as big of a game changer as being revealed as a father and an alien in the Saiyan arc and his last appearance in the anime as a kid is playing ki hide and seek with Popo in an episode where the main plot is Krillin and company fighting a volcano eruption.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:19 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:11 pm Rewatching the original Dragon Ball it always bothered me how anticlimactic Goku's last appearance as a child is. Goku showing up all grown up was nearly as big of a game changer as being revealed as a father and an alien in the Saiyan arc and his last appearance in the anime as a kid is playing ki hide and seek with Popo in an episode where the main plot is Krillin and company fighting a volcano eruption.
Honestly, one of my grievances with the filler section between Goku meeting Kami-sama and grown-up Goku appearing is that we don't Goku Goku progress in his training much. He mostly either gets beaten or thwarted by whatever situation he faces. If, say, half an episode was dedicated to wrapping up the volcano story and the latter half was showcasing Goku's improved skill, then it would have been a bit more satisfying.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:43 am

Can't be worse than how kid Gohan faded into obscurity in the androids chapters and showed up different to become the hero semi-teen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:57 am

Desassina wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:43 am Can't be worse than how kid Gohan faded into obscurity in the androids chapters and showed up different to become the hero semi-teen.
I mean its not really a comparable problem. One isn't worse than the other. They're separate issues.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:16 am

I must have misinterpreted then. Sorry.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:24 am

So, I learned that it's possible to measure strength just by poking someone (in Dragon Ball). :lol:

Or at least there are people who think that is possible. But hey, if you ever wanted to know how strong someone is, just poke them. Poke your friends, your relatives, that person you can't stand, I'm sure you'll be able to tell if they are weaker or stronger than you are! :P
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:26 am I remember that from the movie, back in the day I read that a trilogy of films was planned, the first sequel was to be called "Dragonball Reborn". Suffice to say that was cancelled for obvious reasons.
A huge loss for humanity. :(

~ War of the Dinobots ~

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:13 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:24 am So, I learned that it's possible to measure strength just by poking someone (in Dragon Ball). :lol:
Or at least there are people who think that is possible. But hey, if you ever wanted to know how strong someone is, just poke them. Poke your friends, your relatives, that person you can't stand, I'm sure you'll be able to tell if they are weaker or stronger than you are! :P
It's fantasy, so it can easily be given an explanation, that sounds half decent.
I would have it be that Beerus' GoD PokeTM allows him to send a harmless signal to the subject's cells, that then will send a signal back, revealing information about the properties of the ki of that person, like size, good/evil etc. I was thinking in the ballpark of what a radar does.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:22 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:13 am
Grimlock wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:24 am So, I learned that it's possible to measure strength just by poking someone (in Dragon Ball). :lol:
It's fantasy, so it can easily be given an explanation, that sounds half decent.
I would have it be that Beerus' GoD PokeTM allows him to send a harmless signal to the subject's cells, that then will send a signal back, revealing information about the properties of the ki of that person, like size, good/evil etc. I was thinking in the ballpark of what a radar does.
Next to just staring at somebody from afar and not even having contact with them, poking them actually makes more sense.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:36 pm

Kind of related, but I remember someone using the example of Buu's flap absorbing bullets to show that he had virtually no defense, and was entirely reliant on his limitless regeneration. Oooooor maybe he just didn't think the bullets were worth defending against? As we're all very much aware of by now, when a character has their guard down, they're very much vulnerable to attacks that would otherwise not phase them.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:02 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:13 amIt's fantasy, so it can easily be given an explanation, that sounds half decent.
It doesn't need an explanation, Goku can read minds (remember that one, just one time Goku learned everything by touching Kuririn's baldness!?). No one knows, to this day, why that happened and how that happened! But I think even Toriyama realized it was just pure nonsense, that he didn't even bother to explain it and to do it again.

Anyway, I just found it a little funny at that moment because people were actually really serious about that, to the point of using it as an argument.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:49 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:02 pm
dbgtFO wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:13 amIt's fantasy, so it can easily be given an explanation, that sounds half decent.
It doesn't need an explanation, Goku can read minds (remember that one, just one time Goku learned everything by touching Kuririn's baldness!?). No one knows, to this day, why that happened and how that happened! But I think even Toriyama realized it was just pure nonsense, that he didn't even bother to explain it and to do it again.

Anyway, I just found it a little funny at that moment because people were actually really serious about that, to the point of using it as an argument.

Roshi read Nam's mind without even touching him

Chalk it up to some martial arts zen inner ki thing.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:24 am

We can, alternatively, call him a mutant. :)

~ War of the Dinobots ~

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:11 pm Rewatching the original Dragon Ball it always bothered me how anticlimactic Goku's last appearance as a child is. Goku showing up all grown up was nearly as big of a game changer as being revealed as a father and an alien in the Saiyan arc and his last appearance in the anime as a kid is playing ki hide and seek with Popo in an episode where the main plot is Krillin and company fighting a volcano eruption.
It is pretty disappointing, considering the manga has IMO the perfect transition: Shots of everyone training hard, then little Goku meditating peacefully. Next time we see him he's an adult.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:10 pm

That's just the nature of anime filler. Things are rendered anticlimactic and neutered due to conflicts between manga and anime-only material.