Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:41 am

MyVisionity wrote:There's no such thing as "equally offensive".
Making fun of multiple countries, languages, races.. that's what it is.
MyVisionity wrote:Also, a person doesn't have to be offended to find something offensive.
People nowadays get offended over nothing.
Tian wrote:I don't really think having an accent is offensive at all.
I agree with you but some do think it's offensive and even "racist".

God forbid comedians make black humor jokes. lol
Tian wrote:I don't really think having an accent is offensive at all.
Besides it's the FUNI dub, I doubt Russian, German and Japanese people would watch it.[/quote]
Normally, no. But there are instances when people from other countries check out foreign dubs.

I remember seeing a vid of a Japanese guy sat down in a hotel and watching FUNi's Z dub, he was left speechless (iirc) but I can't find a source to this now. There's this though @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOQnVPOPYSY

User avatar
SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:20 am

It would have been cool if each member of the Ginyu Force had a unique ability, instead of just Guldo and Ginyu.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:08 am

It would be cool if every villain in the series had a unique fighting style or powerset instead of just being a vague approximation of "harder to beat" than the last guy.

EDIT: wow, this combined with my signature really makes me look super belligerent and aggressive about Dragon Ball's power system.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1518
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:17 am

Shaddy wrote:It would be cool if every villain in the series had a unique fighting style or powerset instead of just being a vague approximation of "harder to beat" than the last guy.

EDIT: wow, this combined with my signature really makes me look super belligerent and aggressive about Dragon Ball's power system.
I know, right? I got so sick of regeneration in the Cell and Buu arcs, it was just an excuse to keep padding things out. A bunch of the movie and GT villains could do it as well.

This is actually something Super did well, the villains were a little more unique and weren't just a more durable version of the last one. The only place it faltered was having Broly come right after Jiren, meaning we got two ultra-powerful beef mutants with tragic pasts in a row.

User avatar
SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:06 pm

DBS was so inconsistent in regards to portrayal and continuity, that it should have been a prerequisite for each existing writers working on the show inasmuch as any future writers which would work on the show to read all 42 volumes of the original manga at least twice.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2602
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:13 pm

So Facebook was advertising the Dragon Ball Kai Blue Ray and DVD sets and of course someone makes the comment about “Blue Popo ruining Kai for them” thought we were past that misconception guess not

User avatar
goku the krump dancer
I Live Here
Posts: 3035
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:21 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:DBS was so inconsistent in regards to portrayal and continuity, that it should have been a prerequisite for each existing writers working on the show inasmuch as any future writers which would work on the show to read all 42 volumes of the original manga at least twice.
Its weird because none of the stories post Battle of Gods connect to one another, Revival of F, Universe 6, Zamasu and even the Top all feel like they could be direct sequels to BoG and dont have to happen in the order that they did or amongst one another.

With a few tweaks it could easily go Post Beerus fight -> ToP, Revival of Freeza, Goku Black, U6 tournament, Broly! I'm not saying I prefer it that way but just illustrating how the lack of consequence hurts the overall stories being told because they can viewed as their own closed off story.



In Other news though, I know its common for a lot people to give Zamasu credit for having a real "motive" and Goal to explain his actions as a villain and Even this new take on Broly for seemingly being sympathetic and mildly relatable compared to his original incarnation. HOWEVER I'd argue that a completely emotionless or motiveless killing machine can be done well if executed properly. Just look at Michael Myers and the Original Halloween movie or even the recent Re-sequel-boot. The series only went down hill once other writers and directors tried to give Mike some silly or generic motive for killing in the way that he does, which killed the original goal for the first movie which was to describe the terror of how some random shmuck could throw on a mask, pick up a knife and literally seek to end your life just because you walked past him one sunday on your way to starbucks.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.

User avatar
ZeroNeonix
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 780
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:34 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:DBS was so inconsistent in regards to portrayal and continuity, that it should have been a prerequisite for each existing writers working on the show inasmuch as any future writers which would work on the show to read all 42 volumes of the original manga at least twice.
The problem isn't that they don't know the original Dragon Ball (Z) stories. They've demonstrated quite often how familiar they were with the original material. It's the internal consistency that's the problem. Different writers working on different episodes independently. The retcons were Toriyama's doing, BTW.

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7774
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:25 pm

I never liked the original hair colour for Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan/Blue, because it wasn't blue enough!
My favorite colour is blue, more specifically the lighter shade of royal blue, so it really annoyed me that the hair colour for SSB was teal, which I find to be ugly.
The fact that they have changed it to this darker blue for the new designs is pretty damn awesome, if I must say so, so I'm grateful for that!
It's also the same with Bulma's hair colour. If it can't be purple, I'm at least glad they made it blue instead of teal ever since RoF.

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7608
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Noah » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:28 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:It would have been cool if each member of the Ginyu Force had a unique ability, instead of just Guldo and Ginyu.
I agree, the Ginyu Force are iconic villains, but some of them are really bland, I would prefer if they took some time to develop them better.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17947
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:32 pm

I see your point, but I think they served their purpose. Considering where the story was, the manga and anime spent as much time on the team as it should've. I wouldn't call any of them bland. They're all memorable
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: AAAAAAA

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
MyVisionity wrote:There's no such thing as "equally offensive".
Making fun of multiple countries, languages, races.. that's what it is.
please learn what punching down is.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Tian wrote:I don't really think having an accent is offensive at all.
I agree with you but some do think it's offensive and even "racist".
it depends on the context. white person doing a irish accent ? maybe a bit Problematic, but idk i dont think its offensive. a person with no Jamaican background using a Jamaican patois ? yea thats sorta racist.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
MyVisionity wrote:Also, a person doesn't have to be offended to find something offensive.
People nowadays get offended over nothing.
i don't really think it's up to you to decide what is and what isn't offensive tbh.

Edit : to make this about dragon ball, i think the funi accents for the RRA is more so odd than anything. like i'm not sure how it is in the Jpn version, but i don't know most of them kinda come off as weird to me.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

they/them pronouns

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17947
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:38 pm

i don't really think it's up to you to decide what is and what isn't offensive tbh.
If not each of us, then who?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: AAAAAAA

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:29 am

ABED wrote:
i don't really think it's up to you to decide what is and what isn't offensive tbh.
If not each of us, then who?
well, let's say a black person finds commanders black design offensive, do you think it's ok for a white person, to say that they shouldn't be offended by it ? or as a gay person who finds general blue kinda offensive (mainly just the pedo stuff, but also the fact that he's a example of how most gay portrayals, along with highly feminine men, in media were normally villains till recently), do you think it's ok for straight people to tell me that i shouldn't be offended by it ?

edit : and i'm not saying you need to be offended by something to think it's offensive or whatever, i'm just saying it's kinda dumb for people to say what people should and shouldn't find offensive.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

they/them pronouns

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1518
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:26 am

I just watched Moviebob's latest Big Picture video 'Endless Universe' (https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/201 ... -universe/) about Star Wars, the changing landscape of corporate-owned franchise media and how fandom/geek culture discourse needs to evolve around that. A lot of what he said about Disney-owned Star Wars feels like it could apply to Dragon Ball now as well, ie the shift from a story as told by a single authour to a sprawling, omnipresent source of franchise iconography told across multiple mediums. I don't think Dragon Ball is quite as far down the road as Star Wars is since Akira Toriyama is still involved with it, but I reckon it's definitely happening. Dragon Ball is not going to go away, it will exist in some form or another long after he's stopped working on it or passed away.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17947
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:26 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
ABED wrote:
i don't really think it's up to you to decide what is and what isn't offensive tbh.
If not each of us, then who?
well, let's say a black person finds commanders black design offensive, do you think it's ok for a white person, to say that they shouldn't be offended by it ? or as a gay person who finds general blue kinda offensive (mainly just the pedo stuff, but also the fact that he's a example of how most gay portrayals, along with highly feminine men, in media were normally villains till recently), do you think it's ok for straight people to tell me that i shouldn't be offended by it ?

edit : and i'm not saying you need to be offended by something to think it's offensive or whatever, i'm just saying it's kinda dumb for people to say what people should and shouldn't find offensive.
Would it be that much better if another gay person told someone General Blue shouldn't offend them? I don't agree with that idea at all. Certainly, coming from another gay person there's first hand knowledge, but they don't all think the same. I think as long as you can provide a cogent and polite argument regardless of your race, religion, sexual orientation, etc., your opinion is as valid as anyone else's.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: AAAAAAA

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:35 am

ABED wrote:Would it be that much better if another gay person told someone General Blue shouldn't offend them?
yeah, i love talking with other members in the LGBTQ+ community about what they think what is and what isn't problematic, just as long as their not doing it in bad faith. the thing that annoys the piss out of me is when straight people say, Oh you shouldn't be offended by that. like, it's not up to you dude, lol.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

they/them pronouns

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17947
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:47 am

This could actually be its own thread, so I'll just leave it this, there are parts of that statement I agree with and part that I don't. It's less about whose saying it than it is HOW you say it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: AAAAAAA

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:50 am

understandable have a fantastic Wednesday morning.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

they/them pronouns

Lukmendes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:08 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:Its weird because none of the stories post Battle of Gods connect to one another, Revival of F, Universe 6, Zamasu and even the Top all feel like they could be direct sequels to BoG and dont have to happen in the order that they did or amongst one another.
Without RoF there's no Freeza in ToP, without Champa there's no Black (Zamasu learns about the super dragon balls and Goku having god ki because of it, and Goku's friendship with Zeno), or ToP (Zeno only became friends with Goku because of the Champa arc), so those events are pretty important to each other, with Black being arguably the only one that is skippable, and thematicaly Black has some importance since ToP ultimately proves him wrong.
With a few tweaks it could easily go Post Beerus fight -> ToP, Revival of Freeza, Goku Black, U6 tournament, Broly! I'm not saying I prefer it that way but just illustrating how the lack of consequence hurts the overall stories being told because they can viewed as their own closed off story.
That makes no sense, Zeno only learned about Goku and the idea of making a tournament because of Champa arc and Freeza was only in ToP because of his own arc, and while Black could happen after ToP, it'd be redundant since ToP's ending shows that mortals can be selfless and eventualy change, so having Black after ToP would be odd, so yeah, just changing the order of those events would be a headache since little details is what build up for each other, it'd be kinda like trying to make Cell saga happen before Namek.

Post Reply