Goku not going SSJ against Cooler now justified?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Goku not going SSJ against Cooler now justified?

Post by precita » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:34 pm

A lot of people used to debate whether Goku was already a Super Saiyan when Cooler arrived, since the movie appears to take place in the 3 years of training for the Androids.

In the movie Goku in his base form gets all beaten up by Cooler. THEN he becomes a Super Saiyan and takes him out. Now in Super we see Goku continually fight in his weaker forms and get all beat up (against Black, also not powering up against Frost, etc), so it can be explained he did the same thing in the Cooler movie.

I always believed Goku was already a Super Saiyan in the Cooler film, and that's why he didn't make a big deal out of it when he transformed.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Re: Goku not going SSJ against Cooler now justified?

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:49 pm

There have actually been some theories on this topic, since Toriyama said the movies take place in alternate universe(I could be mistaken) but in this timeline Goku didn't unlocked Super Saiyan during his battle with Frezza and beat him with the Spirit Bomb instead. I accept this theory seems logical to me, it wouldn't make much sense for Goku to go Super Saiyan at the time he did.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:05 pm

Well the movie was short so they have to end it quickly with something.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:15 pm

I don't know if it ever really need "justification." He didn't use Super Saiyan... until he did.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:15 pm

It was obviously that dying bird that triggered his transformation. :problem:

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:11 pm

The implication seems to be that he hasn't mastered it to the point where he can freely activate it, which would be a fair assumption from the writers considering where the manga had been at (Goku vs Freeza*) during its development.

*I'm aware that the Trunks chapter had been published around this time, but it's also important to consider the production time window for the film.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:14 pm

Pretty sure he didn't have full control of the form at the time. He didn't even seem to have Shunkan Ido too. It was weird.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:26 pm

Nejishiki wrote:The implication seems to be that he hasn't mastered it to the point where he can freely activate it, which would be a fair assumption from the writers considering where the manga had been at (Goku vs Freeza*) during its development.

*I'm aware that the Trunks chapter had been published around this time, but it's also important to consider the production time window for the film.
Pretty much this, yeah. The movie was clearly written while Super Saiyan Goku was fighting Freeza, and just went off the assumptions that Goku killed Freeza and went back to Earth, and that Super Saiyan was not something that could get activated at will. All three assumptions were of course wrong, but they were logical enough at the time.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:42 pm

I'm okay with it, because I believe I remember Goku telling Trunks that it took him a while to learn how to transform at will, though that could have been a dub line. I haven't watched that episode in a good while.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:08 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I'm okay with it, because I believe I remember Goku telling Trunks that it took him a while to learn how to transform at will, though that could have been a dub line. I haven't watched that episode in a good while.
Dragon Ball, Vol. 28, Ch. 334 wrote:Trunks: "...Can I ask you a question first...?"
Trunks: "Can you become a Super Saiyan at will?"
Goku: "Yeah. I couldn't at first, but after a lot of practice I learned to control it."

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:17 am

I think there are 3 ways to look at it :

1- Like you said he was just testing him and seeing if he could beat him without it.

2- Goku didn't transform against Freeza and this was his first time.

2- He did but he couldn't control it and he had to get really angry to do so.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.