Name all the Dragon Ball characters!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Name all the Dragon Ball characters!

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:00 pm

Nearly 7 years ago, I made a thread in which I asked the members of the Daizenshuu EX forum to name 200 characters from the Dragon Ball series. We were able to get up to 333 before the thread died out in October 2009:

300 Characters and more!

As you all know, there's been A TON of new Dragon Ball content since then.

Now, I'd like to see if we can name as many official Dragon Ball characters as we can! However, the rules are similar to that thread from almost 7 years ago:
  • 1) You can only name one character per post.
    2) You must provide an official picture of that character. No fan art pictures.
    3) State something intelligently that you like and dislike about that character. Shallow reasoning and single word answers do not count.
    4) Individual transformations do not count, e.g. Super Saiyan 1 Goku, Super Saiyan 2 Goku, etc.
    5) Fusion characters do count.
    6) Characters like Farmer with Shotgun will count, but generally, any characters who have not been given a name or title will not count.
    7) If a character has already been posted by another member, that character cannot be posted again by any other member.
If you have any further questions about how this thread works, just ask. I'll be keeping a list of every character posted so far on my computer.

Let's see how many Dragon Ball characters we can name!

Character #1

Son Goku

Like: Happy-go-lucky personality; knows when to be serious during a fight; provides good humor at times.

Dislike: Ditching his family in favor of training to get stronger during DBZ and beyond. That's not to say that I disapprove of him training at all, but it's pretty sad that Piccolo ends up being a better father figure to Gohan and Goten then Goku ever was.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Name all the Dragon Ball characters!

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:15 pm

Character #2!
Kuririn!
Like He's an everyman; Good comic relief; He knows his limits
Dislike Often times made a fool by Toriyama and Toei.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:23 pm

Character #3

Gine

Like - Her personality, her cuteness is incomparable. Her appearance, she's one of the most beautiful woman in Dragon Ball franchise.

Dislike - Her too small appearance/role to the lore of Dragon Ball and lack of colors (Extreme Butoden, Fusions, and toys don't count!).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:42 pm

...You know what you did, soppa saia people. You know what you did. :P I'll go with the next best thing then.

Character #4
Jaco
Like: A lot like Kuririn (especially early Kuririn) with his dry sense of humor, I also find the "unspoken" back history between himself and Goku to be amusing in a way as well. He's also in an interesting place power wise seemingly - he's strong enough to be effective in his own right, but mostly due to knowing how to work around his level of strength being what it is rather than just being stronger than anyone.
Dislike: Not sure how fair it is to apply this to the character himself, but I dislike that Super expects people to have read/know about the manga Jaco comes from rather than properly introducing him into the mix via a flashback episode or something. It can leave even longtime fans scratching their head in wonder as to where this guy comes from, and that's a bit unfair.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:52 pm

CHARACTER #5
Android 18

Like: Her obsession for money, her concern and loving nature to her family and the fact she's a hot badass female with a nice fashion sense. Kicks Roshi's ass whenever she catches something perverted lol.

Dislike: How she gave Krillin the cold-shoulder before they hooked-up. Doesn't visit or check on her twin-brother, and doesn't get involved in much fighting.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:29 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:...You know what you did, soppa saia people. You know what you did. :P I'll go with the next best thing then.
Lol, oops. I figured who best to follow Gokuu then his best friend. :)
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:45 pm

CHARACTER #6: FREEZA

Like: His thirst for domination is as common a staple of any villain as you can find but what I like about him is that he does so under the flair of a simple business venture, complete with his own posh, regal demeanor...until he gets really friggin' pissed off and lets loose. That's when things get good.

Dislike: The fact that he still had so much vast latent power that he never even bothered to try and obtain. What we saw in the Freeza arc should've been its limits. It makes me look back on all his moments with a lot less fondness when I consider how he's just been walking around with all that power all along yet not even bothering to try and tap into it. Maybe, if it were impossible or him or something but nope, it was just as simple as swiping a hotel card through its designated slot. C'mon, man. :x

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:29 pm

Character #7: Future Trunks

Like: The only Z-Warrior that gets shit done, Is the reason why Vegeta grow to appreciate his family, He mades a bowl cut and non-matching jacket look cool
Dislike: His timeline is largely unexplained, Virtually no gag elements
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:07 pm

Character #8: Videl
Like: Good design (appearance wise), and good initial personality.
Dislike: Simply put, weak and neglected.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:20 pm

Character #9: Vegeta

Like: Relentless personality and perseverance. Only a boss would have his hair. His evolution from a manic to a trusted protector of Earth. Only rival to actually keep up with Goku.
Dislike: Tendency to be overrun by his emotions, his Cell Arc behavior being the highlight. Can be an asshole sometimes.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:10 pm

Character #10:

Piccolo

Like: One of the best examples of a character who actually gets character development in Dragon Ball. Starts out as an awesome villain, then slowly transitions into a great and true father figure to Gohan and Goten. He's also a good mentor to Goten and Trunks during the Buu arc. Eye-catching character design and memorable personality. He has cool special attacks and abilities, such as his ability to regenerate injured or severed limbs. Also, his fighting style is awesome; it's always a pleasure to see him fight in Dragon Ball, from his fight with Goku in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai to his brutal brawl with Android 17 during the Cell arc. He almost always maintains a meaningful presence among the heroes of the series, even if he becomes irrelevant strength-wise starting with the Buu arc. Overall, he's within my top 3 favorite characters in the series for how complex of a character he is combined with his physical and mental attributes. It's always fun to watch scenes with Piccolo in them during any part of Dragon Ball.

Dislike: Though he does maintain a relevant presence in the series even into Dragon Ball Super, he, along with too many of the other heroes, do become irrelevant strength-wise later on in the series as I already mentioned. One of my least-favorite aspects of Dragon Ball is how there's so many strong hero characters that can't do anything to fight against the main villains of the series. Goku is basically the only hero who can truly keep up with characters like Beerus, Hit, and Goku Black. Vegeta is pretty close too, but he always falls behind Goku just a bit. If any of the other heroes try to fight the main villains, you already know the result of what will happen, and I hate that. Piccolo has become of those "other heroes", though fortunately, he seems to be stronger then, say, Kuririn or Goten.

Alright, here's the list of the characters mentioned so far:

Dragon Ball Characters:

1. Son Goku – Shiyonasan
2. Kuririn – soppa saia people
3. Gine – Grimlock
4. Jaco – Gyt Kaliba
5. Android 18 – HybridSaiyan
6. Freeza – Lunatic Fringe
7. Future Trunks – DBZAOTA482
8. Videl – Anime Kitten
9. Vegeta – LightBing
10. Piccolo – Shiyonasan

Alphabetical List:

A
• Android 18

F
• Freeza
• Future Trunks

G
• Gine

J
• Jaco

K
• Kuririn

P
• Piccolo

S
• Son Goku

V
• Vegeta
• Videl

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Character #11, Karin

Like He trained Muten Roshi, he gave Roshi/Goku the kintoen. He grows sensu beans which have become the healing snack of champions.
Dislike Lets Yajirobe eat all the magic beans, when he knows more important people need them. :D

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:47 pm

Character #12: Muten Roshi

Likes: His pereverted nature brought many funny moments to the series. I love his relationship with Goku, Kuririn, and the others in early Dragon Ball. And the times when he was serious, specifically against Tenshinhan and Daimao, were fantastic moments for his character.

Dislikes: His loss of relevancy. I don't dislike the fact that he was surpassed by his pupils, but I do dislike him losing all relevancy to the story after the Piccolo Daimao arc. It always makes me sad when I think about it.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:58 pm

Character #13: Son Gohan

Like: During his time in the Z era, Gohan grew from a scared child into a brave warrior who would rise to the occasion and defend his home from great threats. He also took on the mantle of the Great Saiyaman to keep Satan City safe from its criminal element.

Dislike: He became a bit of a slacker after defeating Cell, then grew into a boring old "great scholar" after Boo.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Character #14: Bulma

Likes: The first named character we see in the series who isn't Gokuu, Bulma is a super-genius, able to pilot alien spacecraft as a child with no training. At the beginning of the story she is cowardly (yet outgoing), greedy and only out for her own selfish interests, willing to sacrifice her modesty and her reluctant companions in order to secure her wish on the Dragon Balls. Much like her future spouse, she is confident in her own abilities to the point of being arrogant, and likes to declare herself the leader of a situation wherever possible. However, as she grows more adventure-hardened, and her companions grow into her friends, she matures and becomes increasingly loyal to those whom she cares about. Her personality mellows dramatically, yet she still maintains the playful, impulsive streak that she had as a child. She has one of the most believable character arcs in the series, which is only natural considering she's been around for the longest, save for her eldest friend Son Gokuu. I also like how her character design has changed so frequently and drastically over time; all of her hairstyles and outfits I adore.

Dislikes: Nobody can seem to decide on what her name is! Also that and she can't seem to remember the hair colour of her own son, even when he's standing right in front of her.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:31 pm

Character #15: Beerus
Like: Chaotic neutral alignment (for the most part), most refreshing character in the Dragon Ball franchise, specially in his debut in the God and God movie and for being the only opponent that was able to to surpass and defeat a character with a newly obtained power-up that was brought in the story with the only objective to be used to defeat him and ultimately not being enought.
Dislike: I personally don´t dislike anything about him but for the sake of the thread I will say the common complaint that he at times can be a dick with anyone/anything when it comes to food.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:51 pm

CHARACTER #16: CHAOZU

Like: Did one of the most heroic things of the entire series by deliberately sacrificing himself to try and get rid of Nappa despite the fact that he had already died once before and as far as readers knew, would never be able to come back to life ever again. Also, he was pretty entertaining during the 22nd TB, what with his psychic moveset and snark, along with superficial quirks, such as his appearance, and more endearing quirks like his inability to do simple mathematics.

Dislike: Forget his lack of relevancy, I dislike how boring he became as a character. He had a pretty entertaining personality during the 22nd TB that just up and vanishes in a puff of smoke after it's over. Sure, he was no longer much of a jerk after it concluded but that didn't mean is somewhat snarky personality had to go away. Combine that with his unique moveset and you have the opportunity for side gags to not present themselves.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:44 pm

Character #17: Mira
Like: Pretty good, non-generic personality; near obsession with being "the strongest"; good design.
Dislike: Marriage to Towa (DBO only); Acts as Towa's bodyguard more than anything.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Character #18: Tao Pai Pai

Like:
Tao Pai Pai is my favorite character in the franchise. Badass and hilarious. He's the first real "mortal enemy" that Goku has, who beats the living tar out of him, and almost successfully kills him. On the flip side, he also has some of my favorite gags in the series as well. One of his first acts is to kill Blue...with his tongue. He then does his iconic pillar ride, which tickles me pink for the complications it creates for the section of the fandom that obsesses over "feats" and the like.

Dislike:
When he comes back during the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc, he doesn't really amount to much, other than a quick character moment for Tenshinhan. I just wish that he was more of an actual threat.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Character #19: Whis

Like: His calm, aloof, peaceful personality, and all the while, being absent-minded and eccentric. I also really enjoy that the mystique of the character is never taken away from him. Not to mention the over design of the character is so unique. Plus, his banter with Beerus, hell, any of the members of the cast, is just wonderful. He also manages to keep a totally neutral stance on everything, which I find a very nice twist to usually black-and-white mortality characters in the franchise. He is not malevolent, he is, at the very least, remorseless. I just love that kind of balanced characteristic.

Dislike: His vague and cryptic training methods and the fact that he only seem to truly won over by food. That gimmick is getting a bit old.