Why can heart virus, poision and diseases still kill Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Re: Why can heart virus, poision and diseases still kill Goku?

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:23 am

Cetra wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
It would be totally out of character for either Cell or Buu to do that. They live to fight.
Well, it's a good thing that all the bad guys want to play by our rules, because if they ever just wanted to kill us then we would immediately lose.
That is a typical anime villain thing though. Be arrogant and then flip out when you are about to lose. That is why Freeza in Fukkatsu no F destroyed Earth or Cell wanted to destroy it when Gohan was about to beat him.
So all the villains must only except punching and no other alternative?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:25 am

Is it within their character to do so? Judge their actions by who they are themselves. The Cell Games were orchestrated to inspire fear around the world. Until Gohan threatened his game, he had no motivations to declare victory via planet explosion.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:26 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote: So all the villains must only except punching and no other alternative?
Dabura had his spit, 19 and 20 absorbed energy, Babidi controlled minds, Buu turned people into candy, Cell ate people, Freeza blew up planets, Roshi did everything from hypnosis to shooting electricity, Tenshinhan blinded people, and there's a ton of other stuff in the movies.

Maybe you're just not paying attention?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:29 am

Nejishiki wrote:Is it within their character to do so? Judge their actions by who they are themselves. The Cell Games were orchestrated to inspire fear around the world. Until Gohan threatened his game, he had no motivations to declare victory via planet explosion.
Sure, it would be out of character for Cell to win via explosion. But if all characters forever must be like this or else the whole thing collapses, then Dragonball will never be able to deal with any concept or situation deeper than fist fights.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:33 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote: So all the villains must only except punching and no other alternative?
Dabura had his spit, 19 and 20 absorbed energy, Babidi controlled minds, Buu turned people into candy, Cell ate people, Freeza blew up planets, Roshi did everything from hypnosis to shooting electricity, Tenshinhan blinded people, and there's a ton of other stuff in the movies.

Spit, absorption, mind-control, and candy were all beaten by just trying harder. If the other stuff can't be, then they need to spam it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:35 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:

Spit, absorption, mind-control, and candy were all beaten by just trying harder. If the other stuff can't be, then they need to spam it.
I'm curious. Name a perfect work of fiction, where everybody acts in the manner that most benefits themselves.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:36 am

Then blow up the fucking entire earth by shooting a blast from a billion miles away and you'll win.

For what exactly reasons do only diseases and poison bother you? Is it any different than blowing up the earth or holding your enemy and let Ackman shoot the beam?

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:38 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: Dabura had his spit, 19 and 20 absorbed energy, Babidi controlled minds, Buu turned people into candy, Cell ate people, Freeza blew up planets, Roshi did everything from hypnosis to shooting electricity, Tenshinhan blinded people, and there's a ton of other stuff in the movies.

I'm curious. Name a perfect work of fiction, where everybody acts in the manner that most benefits themselves.
Hunter x Hunter

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:39 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote: Hunter x Hunter
And nobody ever, ever does anything stupid? Nobody ever forgoes the easy way out in favor of a more challenging solution? No one ever makes a mistake due to a character flaw, or anything?
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:40 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote: Sure, it would be out of character for Cell to win via explosion. But if all characters forever must be like this or else the whole thing collapses, then Dragonball will never be able to deal with any concept or situation deeper than fist fights.
Is this true? A rhetorical question seeing as many battles have progressed and concluded on more than just melee combat.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:42 am

kei17 wrote:Then blow up the fucking entire earth by shooting a blast from a billion miles away and you'll win.

For what exactly reasons do only diseases and poison bother you? Is it any different than blowing up the earth or holding your enemy and let Ackman shoot the beam?
It isn't different. All villains past Saiyan arc could win by shooting a ranged blast at the Earth.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:48 am

kei17 wrote:Then blow up the fucking entire earth by shooting a blast from a billion miles away and you'll win.

It isn't different. All villains past Saiyan arc could win by shooting a ranged blast at the Earth.
You know, you have me legitimately curious if there exists a work of fiction where characters are playing a long game of trying to accomplish pragmatic victory. A story of intergalactic snipers who try to catch planets off-guard would be interesting if someone made it work and playing it completely straight.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:48 am

Nejishiki wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote: Sure, it would be out of character for Cell to win via explosion. But if all characters forever must be like this or else the whole thing collapses, then Dragonball will never be able to deal with any concept or situation deeper than fist fights.
Is this true? A rhetorical question seeing as many battles have progressed and concluded on more than just melee combat.
Like what?

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:50 am

Nejishiki wrote:

You know, you have me legitimately curious if there exists a work of fiction where characters are playing a long game of trying to accomplish pragmatic victory. A story of intergalactic snipers who try to catch planets off-guard would be interesting if someone made it work and playing it completely straight.
Like I mention earlier, in Hunter x Hunter people try to win with deception and cheating. The power levels are way lower though; no inter galactic snipers.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:56 am

Nejishiki wrote:

That's kinda the set piece for Attack on Titan. On a smaller scale, of course.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:56 am

You must know that it's just a matter of the degree of plausibility that is needed for the taste of a specific series or genre. If you go that far and cannot accept any illogical actions taken by characters (that you're able to fathom), you should just give up reading/watching shonen series focused on battles for the pure entertainment. Theyl'll never stop bothering you.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:59 am

kei17 wrote:

You must know that it's just a matter of the degree of plausibility that is needed for the taste of a specific series or genre. If you go that far and cannot accept any illogical actions taken by characters (that you're able to fathom), you should just give up reading/watching shonen series focused on battles for the pure entertainment. Theyl'll never stop bothering you.
Suspension of disbelief is only necessary if the author has failed to create a coherent world.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:59 am

kei17 wrote:

You might as well stop reading fiction entirely. Or observing people in real life, for that matter. People rarely ever act in the optimal way for their own best interests.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:03 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
kei17 wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote: It isn't different. All villains past Saiyan arc could win by shooting a ranged blast at the Earth.
You might as well stop reading fiction entirely. Or observing people in real life, for that matter. People rarely ever act in the optimal way for their own best interests.
Most people in real life can't blow up the Sun. It's completely different stakes.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:04 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Nejishiki wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote: It isn't different. All villains past Saiyan arc could win by shooting a ranged blast at the Earth.
That's kinda the set piece for Attack on Titan. On a smaller scale, of course.
I might have to move that forward on my list then. I had been waiting for it to conclude out of preference of reading completed series all at once.