Why can heart virus, poision and diseases still kill Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Why can heart virus, poision and diseases still kill Goku?

Post by kei17 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:20 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
kei17 wrote:You must know that it's just a matter of the degree of plausibility that is needed for the taste of a specific series or genre. If you go that far and cannot accept any illogical actions taken by characters (that you're able to fathom), you should just give up reading/watching shonen series focused on battles for the pure entertainment. Theyl'll never stop bothering you.
Suspension of disbelief is only necessary if the author has failed to create a coherent world.
And you want it for shonen manga/anime, then you are never entertained. If you think that you have ever found a "coherent world" in shonen series, it's just that your thoughts were below the threshold level of "suspension of disbelief" set by the author.

Grow up, man.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:21 am

I fail to see how such a flawed world as the Dragon World has the poison or hear virus as the greatest problem for a fan.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:23 am

If you think that you have ever found a "coherent world" in shonen series, it's just that your thoughts were below the threshold level of "suspension of disbelief" set by the author.

Grow up, man.
What on earth is a "threshold level" for suspension of disbelif?

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:25 am

Cetra wrote:I fail to see how such a flawed world as the Dragon World has the poison or hear virus as the greatest problem for a fan.
What else unravles the logic of the world as much?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:45 am

Okay obviously I'm no mod but dude, is it really necessary to double post when you could just make it one post ? Seriously, you're typing like a sentence a post.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:16 am

I really hate to play that card, but if you're having so much trouble wrapping your mind around diseases and the like still affecting our characters even when they're so strong (despite all real world evidence pointing to how it'd still be a concern)...then you may be taking the entire franchise just a tad too seriously.

I mean, we're talking about a world where characters exist named after vegetables and forms of underwear, and someone transforming to be stronger often involves their hair changing color. And someone getting sick and passing away is too world-breaking? I...don't follow.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:44 pm

Why would being strong stop you from having a disease? Even the most healthy athlete can still get aids or cancer.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:46 pm

Because Goku Black has, well, human anatomy. There really should be no reason, just because he has the strength to bench press a planet, that he can't get sick like every other living organism.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:37 pm

I'm so glad, even before reading this thread but especially now that I have, that such things can kill Goku. The farther the series goes, and the stronger the characters get, the harder it is to create drama by giving them an effective obstacle to fight against. For example, I miss the adventure the early parts of the series had. But you can't trap Goku in a maze. He can just knock it down. You can't give him a long journey to go on. He can teleport almost anywhere, and those places he can't he can just fly to at super speeds. It's getting harder and harder to, as Kamiccolo said, keep him from becoming Silver Age Superman. And that's boring. So, yes. Keep up those weaknesses against diseases, etc. Don't ever take them away!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:29 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:Why would being strong stop you from having a disease? Even the most healthy athlete can still get aids or cancer.
Real athletes have nothing to do with it. No biological or mechanical entity could possibly exist that's as strong as Gokuu. Human biology can get sick, but he doesn't have human biology anymore. Or if he does, he can use ki to ignore it.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:39 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote: Real athletes have nothing to do with it. No biological or mechanical entity could possibly exist that's as strong as Gokuu. Human biology can get sick, but he doesn't have human biology anymore. Or if he does, he can use ki to ignore it.
It was never stablished that ki can ignore diseaces.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:41 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote: Real athletes have nothing to do with it. No biological or mechanical entity could possibly exist that's as strong as Gokuu. Human biology can get sick, but he doesn't have human biology anymore. Or if he does, he can use ki to ignore it.
It was never stablished that ki can ignore diseaces.
Sure, but the series never really established what exactly ki did at all.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:54 pm

Sure, but the series never really established what exactly ki did at all.
They showed you what it does. It can allow people to fly, shoot beams, etc. They just didn't say everything it could or couldn't do because that would be beside the point, but clearly as we saw, it didn't matter how much ki he had, Goku contracted a disease and if we take Vegeta at his word, Goku turning Super Saiyan made it slightly worse.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:01 pm

Because he's still a flesh-and-blood creature with the various limitations that come from that. It's possible that becoming a god might have made him immune to some of those things but maybe not.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Because he's still a flesh-and-blood creature with the various limitations that come from that. It's possible that becoming a god might have made him immune to some of those things but maybe not.
More likely the later, God ki didn´t prevent Vegeta from not surviving outer space during both Resurrection F movie and in Resurrection F arc in SUPER.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:26 pm

You'd think he'd be able to channel his KI to isolate the disease or poison.

Kinda like how Super Buu can find people in his body etc.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:47 pm

It's a super heart disease that needs a cure from the future. The poison didn't kill but just make him faint, it's also from a freeza like alien from an alternate mirror universe. You can't just be immune to everything.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:59 pm

I think evidence show that even (even in Super like Champa's knee getting hurt even though that was a gag) while powered down, taking a bullet that these characters are still very Human.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:49 am

The Saiyan's are very similar to the human race, they even look like humans. They are a lot stronger than humans and of course, have a natural instinct to abilities that humans don't and lean more on their primal instincts of fighting, but they still have body's they have to take care of. There's probably aliens out there with immunity to poison, but with Saiyan's being that close to humans, I don't think they'll ever be immune. Someone like Boo or Freeza I could buy being immune to disease because they don't look like or share anything close to a human's genetic makeup.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:57 am

Xeztin wrote:The Saiyan's are very similar to the human race, they even look like humans. They are a lot stronger than humans and of course, have a natural instinct to abilities that humans don't and lean more on their primal instincts of fighting, but they still have body's they have to take care of. There's probably aliens out there with immunity to poison, but with Saiyan's being that close to humans, I don't think they'll ever be immune. Someone like Boo or Freeza I could buy being immune to disease because they don't look like or share anything close to a human's genetic makeup.
Gokuu didn't break his hand while exchanging punches that could destroy the universe. Since bone cells would definantly break, he is already defending his body at a cellular level. He can also sense ki from all the way across the cosmos, surely he could sense the energy of a germ inside him.