Thoughts on Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Thoughts on Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans?

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:12 am

I've only ever seen the remastered version, but is the original worth watching ?
Why did Funi never get the license to dub it? I've seen some images here and there, and the animation looks pretty good actually.
Does it involve that old-school DBZ Violence?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Thoughts on Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:21 am

There was a tweet from a FUNimation marketing team member around the release of Raging Blast 2 (which I think was subsequently removed...) that seemed to imply they were working on getting it ("it" being the remake), or at least trying their damnedest.

In cases like these (specifically Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans and Episode of Bardock), even though they're animated by Toei, they're commissioned by Bandai Namco and/or Shueisha. Particularly when they're video game related, you have entirely different (or at least slightly different!) sponsors and boards behind them, which totally changes up the negotiation and licensing process. This leads to things like them getting released subbed-only as part of game releases.

And there can be all sorts of reasons for those decisions. It could be a matter of someone not wanting to / able to pay the amount being asked for. It could be the game companies thinking they can use it as a bargaining chip to sell their game to receive more revenue than they would get from licensing it out. There are all sorts of factors at play here.

Anyway, I think the remake does an amazing job of streamlining the story and even cleaning up a few... I wouldn't call them plotholes, but the "OH THEY'RE GHOST WARRIORS OH OK GOTCHA" from the original was... well, that sure was a thing. The original version is definitely worth checking out to see the "full" story (and even then, the "full" story is only available through multiple paths in the Famicom/Playdia games).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:30 am

VegettoEX wrote:There was a tweet from a FUNimation marketing team member around the release of Raging Blast 2 (which I think was subsequently removed...) that seemed to imply they were working on getting it ("it" being the remake), or at least trying their damnedest.

In cases like these (specifically Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans and Episode of Bardock), even though they're animated by Toei, they're commissioned by Bandai Namco and/or Shueisha. Particularly when they're video game related, you have entirely different (or at least slightly different!) sponsors and boards behind them, which totally changes up the negotiation and licensing process. This leads to things like them getting released subbed-only as part of game releases.

And there can be all sorts of reasons for those decisions. It could be a matter of someone not wanting to / able to pay the amount being asked for. It could be the game companies thinking they can use it as a bargaining chip to sell their game to receive more revenue than they would get from licensing it out. There are all sorts of factors at play here.

Anyway, I think the remake does an amazing job of streamlining the story and even cleaning up a few... I wouldn't call them plotholes, but the "OH THEY'RE GHOST WARRIORS OH OK GOTCHA" from the original was... well, that sure was a thing. The original version is definitely worth checking out to see the "full" story (and even then, the "full" story is only available through multiple paths in the Famicom/Playdia games).
Ah! so that's likely the reason behind it never getting an official dub. Thanks for clearing that out, because I never really understood why it was left out. A proper dubbing by Funi would have been a fun ride to watch, it's sad we won't ever get that treatment! :evil:

So, I'll probably check the original version out tonight! and from you said, it appears to be quite good. :P I assume the story takes place before the Cell Games, considering Gohan is a Super Saiyan.

You know any sites I could watch it on? With a decent copy? :D

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:32 am

Piracy is frowned upon in this community and links to view this kind of material will not be provided. The only official releases of the original Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans video feature are the original two VHS volumes and the Dragon Box bonus/extra feature, both of which are Japanese exclusives.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:45 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:I've only ever seen the remastered version, but is the original worth watching ?
In my opinion, it's only worth it out of curiosity, nothing more. Personally, I appreciate the condensed approach of the remake (and its well animated as well).

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:09 pm

Neither of them are not that great, but I like the original better. The original had more story to it while the remake felt rush. I still remember downloading a fan sub version of the original sometime back in 2004. It was this website help me discover Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans. I remember I was like "There was another DB film that I didn't know about and Freeza is in it too!".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote:There was a tweet from a FUNimation marketing team member around the release of Raging Blast 2 (which I think was subsequently removed...) that seemed to imply they were working on getting it ("it" being the remake), or at least trying their damnedest.

Yeah, I'm not sure about what's up with FUNImation and this OVA, but it's recently been dubbed in France. The original has been a while since I watched but I kinda liked the music (must be because I like generic 80's music personally, lol) and feel about it. I haven't seen the remake in a bit over a year. And the original for years.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:22 pm

I'm not a fan of Hatchiyack. He looks cool I guess, but his character is lame in my opinion. He yells out one word and just fights Goku and the others. He is nothing more than a lame typical end of the game video game boss. I do admit that I like it took everyone to defeat him. Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Trunks and Piccolo all help to kill him once and for all.
She/Her

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:26 pm

Don't really care much for the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans OVA, but I do appreciate how much it expanded on the Saiyan/Tuffle anime lore.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:28 pm

I like King Kai's backstory over the one that GT and Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans give us. I like the idea of Tuffles and Saiyans existing on the same Planet as each other than the Saiyans coming from another planet to take over it.
She/Her

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:21 pm

I sure would love it if Funimation dubbed & released Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, Episode of Bardock and Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return! in a boxset but seeing as they're having enough trouble as it is getting Super -- and we still don't know what's going on with Kai -- I'd say any of that is a long way off.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:41 pm

The best part of the movie is when Goku is all like "he iz stronker den Broly!!!" and the fans watching are like O_O.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super