Do you think we can have a new Dr Slump show?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Do you think we can have a new Dr Slump show?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:53 am

Dr Slump was Akira Toriyama's first popular work and he enabled a crossover with it and Dragon Ball (and Super, from which the above image comes from). However, it is not so popular in the West as it is in Japan, despite it having two shows.

Perhaps a new show could work out, if it was done by the makers of Gintama and Osomatsu-San (both acclaimed anime comedies) and featured cameos from DB characters.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Do you think we can have a new Dr Slump show?

Post by nite_jay » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:33 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Image

Dr Slump was Akira Toriyama's first popular work and he enabled a crossover with it and Dragon Ball (and Super, from which the above image comes from). However, it is not so popular in the West as it is in Japan, despite it having two shows.

Perhaps a new show could work out, if it was done by the makers of Gintama and Osomatsu-San (both acclaimed anime comedies) and featured cameos from DB characters.
I think it would be cool to have a Dr.Slump remake. I think a new anime would have lots of potential to introduce it to a new audience. I don't know if I would want it to have too many cameos though. If they were to have just Dragonball cameos I'd rather just have a Nekomajin Z anime.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:12 pm

If one were announced, I'd be excited, but nervous.

I don't think an original story would be the same without Toriyama writing the gags, and a remake or "re-imagining" with cameos would just be the '97 anime all over again (hopefully without the horrendous redesigns).

As for it actually happening, well... I doubt it. I think a Jaco spin-off would be more likely.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:41 pm

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... al/.105955

Given how popular Dr Slump is in Japan, it's surprising we haven't gotten an English dub yet.
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:51 pm

It's too old and too long for anyone to care about a dub. Dr. Slump and Saint Seiya are screwed in that regard. Slump is unfortunately far more screwed, as at least Saint Seiya has modern animated series that have trickled out over the years.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Wiuld it be great if one of the arcs was the Dragon Ball General Bule saga similar to the 1997 show with DB Super animation style and retell info the manga then do more new arcs?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:27 pm

It would be cool, but I don't think it will happen. Toriyama probably still wants to work on Dragon Ball while he still can.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:31 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... al/.105955

Given how popular Dr Slump is in Japan, it's surprising we haven't gotten an English dub yet.
There was a Dr. Slump dub by Harmony Gold, but supposedly only one episode aired.

As regards a remake, I'd like to see it but doubt it will happen because of it being a lesser known Toriyama property in the western world.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:34 pm

simtek34 wrote:Wiuld it be great if one of the arcs was the Dragon Ball General Bule saga similar to the 1997 show with DB Super animation style and retell info the manga then do more new arcs?
They more or less did that in the '97 version. Lots of liberties were taken, so it wasn't a straight adaptation of the Dragon Ball arc, but there were episodes that saw a Goku/Red Ribbon conflict come to town.

I'd be down for another Slump. But without Toriyama's writing? Eeeeh. I might be one of the few who likes the '97 redesigns as an alternate take, and it has some impressive animation, but from what I've seen it's nowhere near as funny. I can't see a modern incarnation that wouldn't be the '97 show v. 2, and probably not as pretty, as that was an oddly lavish production for Toei.

EDIT -- Woops. Misread your post the first time and missed that you'd cited the '97 show doing that. My bad.

Wiziliz

Post by Wiziliz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:47 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Perhaps a new show could work out, if it was done by the makers of Gintama and Osomatsu-San
That would change Dr. Slump from a family friendly comedy to one of the rudest shows of the year, it could work though, if done like Osomatsu-san, with a timeskip and comedy style change. Not sure Akira Toriyama would want that though.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:39 am

To be fair, I don't want a new Dr Slump show. The original is a classic, and the remake had its ups and downs, but it was more than enough IMO. Some things are best left alone, and I don't think there's enough room to update the series beyond some cosmetic changes.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:00 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Image

I hope not.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:25 pm

Wiziliz wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:Perhaps a new show could work out, if it was done by the makers of Gintama and Osomatsu-San
That would change Dr. Slump from a family friendly comedy to one of the rudest shows of the year.
LOL okay fair enough. I forget that Dr Slump kept its humor simple and family-friendly while the other two shows were outrageous and lewd and crude.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:29 pm

I'd enjoy a new Dr Slump show but I'd want it to get dubbed by FUNimation. What I'd like even better is for the original 80's series to be dubbed in English but since it's too whacked and old-looking for North American kids I know it won't happen.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Hell will freeze over before Dr Slump gets any new material outside of Super filler episodes.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:59 pm

I feel like FUNi should probably dub the 1997 remake first before anything. For the English market, I feel like that series would "recent" enough to be relevant for dubbing.

Also, I must be one of the few who actually LIKE the redesigns more than the original designs, save for a select few characters. Might have something to do with me being born in 1997...I find the redesigns more natural, I guess?

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:00 pm

New content for Dr Slump scientifically cannot exist outside new dragon ball super episodes.

And it'll stay like that