Your Wish For The Dragon Ball Franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Your Wish For The Dragon Ball Franchise

Post by Hero » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:35 am

If you could have one wish come true for the franchise's past, and one for the future, what would it be? It could be something story related, related to how it was animated, how was it marketed, literally anything. The only rule is one rule for the past and one for the future.

My wish for the past: I actually wish Chi Chi became a Z fighter. She was strong to begin during the 23rd WMAT; the main issue is why she would fight when she's against it as a mother and wife. Simple, she originally just wants to get Gohan back and tries to find him, leading to gags. Her skill is noted by Kami, who invites her to his lookout and train, leading to more hijinks.

Yes, her personalty would have to be changed, but I always wanted her as a fighter in addition to be her as a mother and wife. My wish, after all.

My wish for the future: I want the side characters to get back into the spotlight and actually do more. Yes, characters have been getting shafted ever since early Dragon Ball, but that doesn't mean they can't change that now. And Dragon Ball has done well within other characters in the spotlight before, a.k.a. Namek and the Android Arc.

SSJ Human
Regular

Re: Your Wish For The Dragon Ball Franchise

Post by SSJ Human » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:05 am

Wish for the past: That 18 actually got involved in the battles against Boo and Freeza after he came to Earth. Especially the latter since we know that she is stronger than Tien, Roshi and Krillin and yet was still regulated to not having focus.

Wish for the future: That Dragon Ball start being about more characters than Goku and Vegeta.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:34 am

For the past: I would wish for Dragon Ball to have a better English dub when it premiered. I know that most people prefer the dub, but the fact that the dub is inaccurate to the source material hurts the English speaking fanbase and will continue to do so.

For the future: I guess better animation? Super has been on a role lately when it comes to story, but the animation still isn't anything spectacular. I guess I'd wish for more consistent animation.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:07 am

A better animation schedule for Super and an eased-in talented well-connected replacement for Yamamuro. The difference between his stuff in Z and his stuff in Super is so large.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:17 am

My wish for the Dragon Ball franchise's past is that they never introduced the Scouters to be what they are. I'd be all for them getting a general feel of whether someone is strong or not, but assigning a number to someone's power made it seem cut and dry. And what did that lead to? This obsession that Dragon Ball fans have with who's the strongest and exactly by how much and what the battle powers could be. I've never seen any other franchise's fans so obsessed with power rankings among its characters. I've never seen a Street Fighter fan sit down and say, "Well in Batman comic ___, Batman broke Joker's nose with a single punch but later in comic ___, Batman punched Joker and it seemed like it did nothing; thus Joker's tolerance for he punch increased by x amount." The problem is not so much that people do it, but more that people don't seem to realize that all of their calculations were never really intentional and then they get all upset when someone doesn't agree with them or new material contradicts their theories. I think people lose sight of the fact that there was intent for an exciting fight, which is why there has to be back and forth instead of "Well this guy's battle power is x, bigger than that guy's battle power of y, so why was he able to do abc to him? It doesn't make sense!"

As unpopular as this is, I really hope that the series bridges the gap with GT. Even if it is to take place in another universe, I'd really like that. Then, I kind of hope that someone picks up the story of after GT to fill in the gap between Goku leaving with Shen Long and Goku Jr. That or have spin-offs introducing a bunch of new characters or even focusing on background characters.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:30 am

I'd be all for them getting a general feel of whether someone is strong or not, but assigning a number to someone's power made it seem cut and dry.
But that's what the people on Earth did. The scouters were useful in characterization as Raditz was so blinded by the scouter readings that he didn't think he would die. He underestimated his opponents. Then when Vegeta and Nappa arrive, you get another nice bit of characterization where Vegeta takes off his scouter so he doesn't fall into the same trap as Raditz. It shows how intelligent Vegeta is.

Wish for the past: A much more faithful dub and no Faulconer music.
Wish for the future: Good stories because that's ultimately what matters.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:01 pm

ABED wrote:
Wish for the future: Good stories because that's ultimately what matters.
Agreed.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:00 pm

Wish for the past: The Dragon Ball manga got a complete, uncensored and unedited release in English
Wish for the future: That we get great stories from a new cast of characters.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Wish for the past: The Dragon Ball manga got a complete, uncensored and unedited release in English
Wish for the future: That we get great stories from a new cast of characters.
I only wish that the future wish could come true but it most likely won't based on the belief that if you don't have the Z characters, no one's going to watch.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:48 pm

Past: For Lunch and Upa to have stuck around and become central human characters post-Piccolo in the same manner as Kuririn, Yamcha, and Tenshinhan, especially if Upa was to become a fighter.
Future: For Son Gohan to become a relevant character once again, even if not via combat or training. Just...relevant somehow, anyhow.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Wish for the past : I wish Toei lost the rights to the franchise After Z to a studio like Mad House, Wit studio or A-1 pictures.

Wish for the future : I wish Toei would make a Kai version for the original DB.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:34 pm

I wish they would make Shun Kikuchi into a cyborg so he'll live forever and continue to make epic music. :D
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

SSJFutureTrunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJFutureTrunks » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:33 pm

Past: I wish Mystic Gohan got more time to shine. He showed up, beat the living hell out of Buu, then proceeded to get his own ass kicked. Was a bad payoff imo.

Future: Ginyu Force spinoff anime. Please.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:58 pm

SSJFutureTrunks wrote:Past: I wish Mystic Gohan got more time to shine. He showed up, beat the living hell out of Buu, then proceeded to get his own ass kicked. Was a bad payoff imo.

How long would the spinoff be? 2 seasons/52 episodes?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:07 am

Wish for the past: Erase the concept of power levels from the franchise, at the very least the numbers never existing.
Wish for the present: Future and current Dragon Ball media having consistent good animation.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

SSJFutureTrunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJFutureTrunks » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:18 am

SSJ Human wrote:
SSJFutureTrunks wrote:Past: I wish Mystic Gohan got more time to shine. He showed up, beat the living hell out of Buu, then proceeded to get his own ass kicked. Was a bad payoff imo.

Yeah, I'm thinking about similar length to Naruto SD.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:21 am

SSJFutureTrunks wrote:
SSJ Human wrote:

What would the story be about?

SSJFutureTrunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJFutureTrunks » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:47 am

SSJ Human wrote:
SSJFutureTrunks wrote:
SSJ Human wrote:
What would the story be about?
Mostly about their hijinks and stuff. From what we've seen in the games and other media, they're all really close to each other, so I'd love to see them more in depth.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:28 am

Wish for the past : I wish FUNI never got their hands on DB.

Wish for the future : No more DB after Super and i wish Super ends after the ongoing Mirai Trunks arc.

- Travis

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:15 pm

Wish for the past : The Harmony Gold Dragon Ball episodes got a VHS release, just so these episodes could actually be found, DVD release of the Westwood and Blue Water dubs

Wish for the future : Good stories and animation for Super, Dragon Ball spinoffs, TOEI to change its business operations to allow Funimation to release their dubbed material sooner, release or even a leak of Ocean Kai
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: