Do colors matter?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do colors matter?

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:07 am

I don't really care about Trunks hair color change in Super but color in general matters to me. For instance, I can't watch any remaster/kai/hd also because they changed all the color tone, making it brighter and such, I think it removes something. Hopefully I have old original versions at home.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:18 am

I am used to change of colour palettes. Being a Saint Seiya fan, you have to be tolerant a lot.
I don't mind Trunks hair that much, as clearly, in Super, the colour range and palette is different from Dragon Ball and Z for various reasons.
TOEI is also kinda famous for changing hair colours (most notably in Hokuto No Ken).

So his hair probably have the same colour as in Z, plotwise, but the physical colour we see changed technically.
What is jarring tough and I had a little problem with was actually having both Trunkses in Z with the same colour, that was lavender.
Kid Trunks, retained this colour even tough his character sheet had the bluish, like Future Trunks.
But, Future Trunks got the colour from the character sheet. Now, you have two people, who are actually the same, with different hair.
Also, Bulma adressing guy with blue hair was weird.

What is weirdest, that Z actually had and Super (Kid Trunks) has the colour of Trunks wrong for all the years. Because in manga and probably Toriyama's mind,
Trunks has the same colour his mother has, purple. In that case, when Dragon Ball and Z had Bulma with blue hair, probably for the sake of colour palette,
they should've made Trunks with the same colour as her. But they reverted back to manga, because imagine Trunks with Bulma's Z colour, that would be pretty weird!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:04 pm

For a time, I thought I was color-blind because I used to think that I saw Future Trunks having blue hair. This was early 2000's. GT came along and I was like, "When did Trunks dye his hair purple/light pink?" For so many years, I just wasn't sure what his hair color was originally.

I find out about Toriyama's forgetful nature and that in the anime, it is definitely a light shade of pink. Also, I've made it my own head canon that the color is the result of some weird hybrid side-effect of Saiyan/Human alleles. There we go, end of story.

More than a decade later, a new Dragon Ball anime is made, Toei decides to bring back Trunks, and BLUE is what they chose!?!? It's such a forced retcon that they didn't even lube it up to swallow. Do they think we're that stupid? Are they THAT lazy!?

I can ignore it now but it's just so obviously different than what we saw in Z. Heck, I could have accepted some kind of aging explanation, but they didn't even do that!
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:27 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:I don't really care about Trunks hair color change in Super but color in general matters to me. For instance, I can't watch any remaster/kai/hd also because they changed all the color tone, making it brighter and such, I think it removes something. Hopefully I have old original versions at home.
Dragon Box or the orange bricks ? Because if it's the latter, those are the farthest away from the original colors.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:16 pm

I'm color blind, so it probably wouldn't have mattered to me... except for the fact that it's different from Present Trunks! If both were purple, great. If they changed their mind, had a management shift, or any other reason that ended up with them blue, also fine, albeit a little annoying in principle. But to have one version of the same person have purple hair while another version of the same person who used to have purple hair now has blue hair, it's very distracting! It calls attention to itself and in such an obvious, how-did-they-screw-this-up kind of way. I mean, they're in scenes together. The staff had to have noticed. Honestly, it's about as ridiculously inconsistent as it would be if Karin showed up and was half white, half blue. We know there's an inconsistency. We get it. But now you're just going out of your way to highlight it!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

winnersproof

Post by winnersproof » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:11 am

I'm not bothered by colors changing at all. I'm a big fan of JoJo and have learned to just ignore the color of characters. My most frequent exposure to Dragon Ball growing up was the manga so I barely even think of some characters as having color to them. If Toriyama thinks Trunks would look better with blue hair in his new outfit then that's fine with me, I actually agree.
To repost what I once said on the subreddit:
It's hard to really care about any color change in Dragon Ball. Bulma's hair is blue in the anime and purple in the manga, except when it's not. Same for Piccolo's pink/yellow spots. Vegeta's hair still fluctuates between black, brown, and purple. Super Saiyan is sometimes gold/orange and sometimes it's light blonde. Hell, every color in the show changes depending on the release.
VegettoEX wrote:It's completely blown out of proportion by fans who have never actually dealt with seeing Dragon Ball on a week-to-week basis before, are doing so in an era where the social media echo-chamber has never been more effective in regurgitating and parroting their own opinions back at them, have never seen something new for the first time in HD on a monitor six inches from their face, have no understanding of the animation industry, and see no irony at all in complaining about a product they have no legal right to even be watching in the first place.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Bansho64 wrote:It really does matter for me. Trunks' hair color has been a bit of a staple for the character. He was the mysterious purple-haired from the future when we saw him and and I don't see a reason why they would change it in the first place. It just feels so redundant to me. But it's not THAT big of a deal to me. Besides, that's not even the biggest problem I have with his appearance. It's his freaking muscle mass that set me off. Or to be specific, that lack of muscle mass. What the heck happened to that!? :shock:
As if muscle mass has that much meaning in a show like Dragon Ball.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Not really, from a artist perspective, it's nice to change it up every now and then. Though attack colours do matter so it's not confusing and can diffirentiate what's what.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Freeza9000 wrote: As if muscle mass has that much meaning in a show like Dragon Ball.
Um, ok? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Also, I maybe that comment a while back. Are you trying to antagonize me? (Not very good at telling people's intentions)

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:48 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote: As if muscle mass has that much meaning in a show like Dragon Ball.
Um, ok? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Also, I maybe that comment a while back. Are you trying to antagonize me? (Not very good at telling people's intentions)
No, I'm not trying to antagonize you. I'm just saying that muscles in DB does not mean shit and that's the truth proven in the series.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:53 pm

Freeza9000 wrote: No, I'm not trying to antagonize you. I'm just saying that muscles in DB does not mean shit and that's the truth proven in the series.
I'm still getting a negative vibe but that may just be my own sensitivity. My apologies, I try not to start anything with anyone if I don't have too. I'm not sure if you're referring to muscle mass in terms of power or just purely for looks. I was mainly talking about how he looks with muscle. Because he looks good with it to me. I wasn't referring to his actual power at all.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:53 am

I just like consistency, colours included.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:10 am

Bansho64 wrote: I'm still getting a negative vibe but that may just be my own sensitivity. My apologies, I try not to start anything with anyone if I don't have too. I'm not sure if you're referring to muscle mass in terms of power or just purely for looks. I was mainly talking about how he looks with muscle. Because he looks good with it to me. I wasn't referring to his actual power at all.
You criticized the lack of muscle mass in Trunks. In response, he stated that muscle doesn't mean anything in Dragon Ball, as it has been demonstrated many times. That's all.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:24 pm

rereboy wrote: You criticized the lack of muscle mass in Trunks. In response, he stated that muscle doesn't mean anything in Dragon Ball, as it has been demonstrated many times. That's all.
I was mainly criticising it because I thought Trunks looked cool with it. I wasn't sure what he meant when he said it doesn't mean anything in Dragon Ball. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to make a big deal of this. Please forgive me. I can be really stupid sometimes and I just can't help it.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Well there are times where the kamehameha is yellow... But yeah, I do agree that it gets weird at times. I remember being puzzled by Goku's tan skin in GT, the yellow kamehamehas, vegeta's hair and more even as a kid. I like consistency in general.
I was mainly criticising it because I thought Trunks looked cool with it. I wasn't sure what he meant when he said it doesn't mean anything in Dragon Ball. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to make a big deal of this. Please forgive me. I can be really stupid sometimes and I just can't help it.
You guys were simply talking about two different things. He's saying muscles doesn't matter when it comes to power and technique in- universe. You're saying it looks better which is an out of universe subject. None of you are really wrong or at fault. Don't apologize so much.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:14 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:It really does matter for me. Trunks' hair color has been a bit of a staple for the character. He was the mysterious purple-haired from the future when we saw him and and I don't see a reason why they would change it in the first place. It just feels so redundant to me. But it's not THAT big of a deal to me. Besides, that's not even the biggest problem I have with his appearance. It's his freaking muscle mass that set me off. Or to be specific, that lack of muscle mass. What the heck happened to that!? :shock:
As if muscle mass has that much meaning in a show like Dragon Ball.
If Trunks lost a lot of muscle mass that he previously possessed, that's a big inconsistency. It's a valid complaint, just as valid as complaining about the hair, he's not saying everyone in Dragon Ball should be a musclebound beefcake with rock n roll and explosions. He's merely pointing out the fact that a character's design has changed.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:19 pm

kinisking wrote:Well there are times where the kamehameha is yellow... But yeah, I do agree that it gets weird at times. I remember being puzzled by Goku's tan skin in GT, the yellow kamehamehas, vegeta's hair and more even as a kid. I like consistency in general.
You guys were simply talking about two different things. He's saying muscles doesn't matter when it comes to power and technique in- universe. You're saying it looks better which is an out of universe subject. None of you are really wrong or at fault. Don't apologize so much.
Yeah where does this guy think he is? In real life? We're on an Internet forum baby, apologizing is for bitches.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:23 pm

nickzambuto wrote: Yeah where does this guy think he is? In real life? We're on an Internet forum baby, apologizing is for bitches.
Alright. I won't do it anymore.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: Yeah where does this guy think he is? In real life? We're on an Internet forum baby, apologizing is for bitches.
Alright. I won't do it anymore.
I was just kidding buddy. There's nothing wrong with apologizing.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:31 pm

nickzambuto wrote: I was just kidding buddy. There's nothing wrong with apologizing.
Oh crap, my bad. It's kinda hard for me to tell when someone's joking. But yeah, my original post was mainly me trying to state that I feel that Trunks looked better when he had some muscle on him. I wasn't referring to his power. In any case, I feel like this whole thing was just a misunderstanding on my part. I take full responsibility for it.