DBZ vol. 26 (comments on the actual book this time)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed May 24, 2006 3:54 pm

Sandland is a really great read. It's got a nice storyline, and even some good fighting! I recommend that you buy it.

GokuSoul
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuSoul » Wed May 24, 2006 4:20 pm

Vegerot?? :shock: Whoa thats pretty unexpected but no matter what i'm still getting it.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed May 24, 2006 5:16 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Sebastian (SB) wrote:I'm familiar with "Light of Death", but "Chi Kung Cannon"?....unless your'e talking Tenshinhan's "Kikoho" or "Chi Kung Pao".
I never read Viz's version (my friend collected them way back), but I could have sworn I heard they called the Kikoho the 'Chi Kung Cannon' at one point.

Oh well, either way it's bad ;p

-Corey
In my version (which is the "Viz" Uncensored Version), they just call the "Kikoho" with the "Chi Kung Pao (or Cannon)" in Chinese on the editor's note in the botttom of the panels. Either way I don't think it's that bad, but still unnecessary.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed May 24, 2006 5:18 pm

Vegerot is a far better choice than "Vegito" because it actually takes from the names of the characters he is a combination of.

I don't know why anyone would be pissed about this, especially compared to "Djinn" which was the biggest mistake Viz ever made with a name, by far.

Even still, they did a great job with the Manga overall and only the last 8 or so have been "problematic" but nothing nearly as monumental as the FUNImation dub, plus the changes are easy to keep track of and don't alter the story in any significant manner.

Props to Viz - they did a great job.

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Wed May 24, 2006 5:43 pm

actually, in podcast #3 we learned from Vegetto EX, that "djinn" isn't that bad of a name because it is the arabic meaning of the word.

I'd say that viz was trying to be creative, and there's nothing wrong with that.
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed May 24, 2006 6:11 pm

Duo wrote:Vegerot is a far better choice than "Vegito" because it actually takes from the names of the characters he is a combination of.

I don't know why anyone would be pissed about this, especially compared to "Djinn" which was the biggest mistake Viz ever made with a name, by far.
Well, the reason why I'm disappointed is that in Japanese, Vejitto's name name is written in what is called 'Katakana'. These characters are typically used for imported words, among other things. Now, the Katakana spell out 'Be-jii-to', which would translate in English to 'Vegetto' or 'Vejitto' as I spell it just because of my own preference. Obviously, this comes from 'Bejiita' and 'Kakarrotto' (Bejiito), so I'm confused by your statement about 'Vegerot' being superior because of it deriving from the characters names O_o;

'Djinn', on the other hand, is a strange change but still accurately describes what Majin Buu is. Vegerot is just a change to a name for the sake of change. It doesn't end the world, but it doesn't sound as good (and it's not what Toriyama named the character, it'd be like calling Korin 'Myauy' and saying it was superior because he's a cat).

-Corey
Last edited by MajinVejitaXV on Wed May 24, 2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed May 24, 2006 6:12 pm

_Jrinu_ wrote:actually, in podcast #3 we learned from Vegetto EX, that "djinn" isn't that bad of a name because it is the arabic meaning of the word.

I'd say that viz was trying to be creative, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Well... I guess so. I can live with it. I think I was really upset just because I'm such a big Vegetto fan, but now that I'm past the initial shock, I can accept...

...Vegerot.

Actually, it sounds pretty cool.

By the way, Domon, can you put up any scans of our man Vegerot?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed May 24, 2006 6:29 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Duo wrote:Vegerot is a far better choice than "Vegito" because it actually takes from the names of the characters he is a combination of.

Well, the reason why I'm disappointed is that in Japanese, Vejitto's name name is written in what is called 'Katakana'. These characters are typically used for imported words, among other things. Now, the Katakana spell out 'Be-jii-to', which would translate in English to 'Vegetto' or 'Vejitto' as I spell it just because of my own preference. Obviously, this comes from 'Bejiita' and 'Kakarrotto' (Bejiito), so I'm confused by your statement about 'Vegerot' being superior because of it deriving from the characters names O_o;

'Djinn', on the other hand, is a strange change but still accurately describes what Majin Buu is. Vegerot is just a change to a name for the sake of change. It doesn't end the world, but it doesn't sound as good (and it's not what Toriyama named the character, it'd be like calling Korin 'Myauy' and saying it was superior because he's a cat).

-Corey
I'm saying that it combines the names of their names as spelled by Viz throughout the Manga, whereas "Vegito" in no way made sense with FUNImations "Kakarot" and "Vegeta". Seriously, where does the "I" in Vegito come from?

Rest assured, I am fully aware of all those things you pointed out (though it is appreciated nonetheless). I'm just saying it wasn't that bad of a choice, and is continuous with "Kakarrot" and "Vegeta" as they spell them. I, for one, plan to keep spelling it Vegetto - I'm just trying to say that Viz didn't make that bad of a choice.

I don't like Djinn because it doesn't actually mean the exact same thing as Majin, and there was no reason to change it. Vegerot had a reason, but Her-cule and Djinn did not.

I do see where you are coming from though. You preference of spelling is perfectly justified because it is just that - a preference. And one based on the original spelling, at that.
SSJ Kaboom wrote: ...Vegerot.

Actually, it sounds pretty cool.
I wonder if you are joking? Somehow I don't think so. Honestly, if you try saying Vegerot to yourself outloud, it doesn't sound that bad.[/randomness]

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Wed May 24, 2006 6:29 pm

Okay, let me enlighten you all to my train of thought...

For me, it just isn't about whether or not the new word works. That's all well and good after the change has been made and you have to accept it...

But for god sakes, I just can't imagine what the conversation over there was like...

"Okay, Majin Buu.... uh... I say we change his name..."
"...Why?"
"Why not?"
"You make a good point..."

I just don't get it!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed May 24, 2006 7:06 pm

Kula wrote:It's available on Amazon as well, so i'll get it along with a copy of Sandland (can anyone recommend this one?).
Umm... yeah, it's a pretty good one shot manga. And the small twist at the end is worth it. From the looks of the latest SJ, SJ might have done some kind of re-release under a slightly different cover.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed May 24, 2006 7:14 pm

Duo wrote:I don't like Djinn because it doesn't actually mean the exact same thing as Majin, and there was no reason to change it.
Well... It's a valid translation, in my opinion. It's not the first time that word has been translated like that either.
And there's nothing "Japanese" about Babidi or Boo, as far as I can tell (no kanji on their clothes or stuff like that, unlike Kami-Sama and the Kaiô bunch), so it's not like they really had to keep the Japanese term... If anything, Boo's clothes remind me of arabian tales such as... well, Aladdin. And his djinn/génie. So... Heck, even the way Boo first appears...

(what I don't understand is why you spell his actual name "Buu" instead of "Boo"?)

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed May 24, 2006 7:20 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Duo wrote:I don't like Djinn because it doesn't actually mean the exact same thing as Majin, and there was no reason to change it.
Well... It's a valid translation, in my opinion. It's not the first time that word has been translated like that either.
And there's nothing "Japanese" about Babidi or Boo, as far as I can tell (no kanji on their clothes or stuff like that, unlike Kami-Sama and the Kaiô bunch), so it's not like they really had to keep the Japanese term... If anything, Boo's clothes remind me of arabian tales such as... well, Aladdin. And his djinn/génie. So... Heck, even the way Boo first appears...

(what I don't understand is why you spell his actual name "Buu" instead of "Boo"?)
Boo has an M on his belt, and the same M is all over the Majins on foreheads and spaceships and stuff.

That is all.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed May 24, 2006 7:23 pm

Then again, maybe it never was a "M" at all. Maybe it was just "some symbol". Bibidi's crest or whatever.

EDIT:
Also, I'm not sure they ever referred to some character as a "Majin", except for Boo himself...
I realize that "Majin Vegeta", for example, is a popular way to call Vegeta when he's "possessed" by Babidi, but is it official?
Last edited by Olivier Hague on Wed May 24, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed May 24, 2006 7:25 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:

(what I don't undertand is why you spell his actual name "Buu" instead of "Boo"?)
You know what? I'm not going to argue with you about the Majin/Djinn issue because my opinion is entirely based on the translation skills of Steven J Simmons and the Webmasters of this Forum and Site. You can argue with them.

But what's this nonsense about saying I don't spell his name "Boo"? I always spell his name that way. I didn't even say Boo in any of my posts in this thread, but I'll be glad to dive into my post history and quote myself on several occasions.
Duo wrote:Galactica Donuts - The attack used by Gotenks twice and Majin Boo once. I was really impressed with Gotenks when he did this, because (in the Manga) such a thing had never really been done before. I also loved how he made Boo into a ball later on and (with Piccolo's help, heh) spiked Boo into the Earth. Those two kids were pretty innovative in a lot of regards, despite not accomplishing much of anything in the end and being completely idiotic much of the time.
Duo wrote:I have to agree with Akira, in the regard that I liked the change of uniform. It would have been great if Goku used something different during the Boo arc, making it even more special when Gohan adorned Goku's "old orange Gi" for battle, which wouldn't have been seen in the arc until that point, had such occured.
Duo wrote:When Boo splits, we get this Evil side...who immediately overkills that one guy, like...like a train versus an ant. Then he pwns the innocent Boo, absorbs him, kills the other guy in the most creative death scene ever, shoots off to the Heavenly Palace, and just keeps being the biggest B.A.M.F. until the door to the Room of Spirit and Time is blown up, at which point he turns into the funniest B.A.M.F. of all time.

Piccolo - "Now we're trapped in here forever!"
Boo - "Do...do you have...any snacks...?!" (facial expression of pure horror)

Also when he absorbs Super Gotenks and Piccolo...he pwns Gohan just with the way he talks, and when the fighting starts...I get really torn because I love Gohan, but I love that Majin Boo.
Next time, you should probably research someone before you assume something about them. It would be appreciated.

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Wed May 24, 2006 7:27 pm

Kula wrote:I didn't realise it was out already. It's available on Amazon as well, so i'll get it along with a copy of Sandland (can anyone recommend this one?).

Vegerot? I can understand the change, but it just sounds retarded.
Sandland is one of my favorite Toriyama GN's, so yes, I recommend it.

Back to topic, I haven't collected any of the Viz GN's at all, but hearing the name 'Vegirot' irks me. It's like some newbie fanboy's misinterpretation that he would put on his ugly fanboy website with all the other fanboy misinterpretations.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed May 24, 2006 7:33 pm

Duo wrote:what's this nonsense about saying I don't spell his name "Boo"? I always spell his name that way.
Please calm down. I wasn't talking about you specifically. ^^;
Quite a few people around here (including the webmasters, I believe) spell the name "Buu"... Like, well, in this very topic, for example. And I was wondering why, that's all.

Snail

Post by Snail » Wed May 24, 2006 7:33 pm

'Vegerot'...like What the fuck?

That is just plain unforgivable, and it's such an unreasonable change.

*sigh, disappointed, however I will get this last volume to complete my collection.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed May 24, 2006 7:37 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Duo wrote:what's this nonsense about saying I don't spell his name "Boo"? I always spell his name that way.
Please calm down. I wasn't talking about you specifically. ^^;
Quite a few people around here (including the webmasters, I believe) spell the name "Buu"... Like, well, in this very topic, for example. And I was wondering why, that's all.
I kind of suspected so...but don't worry, I wasn't mad or anything, just a bit excited.

You sound like someone who works for Viz or something - or am I just crazy?
Snail wrote:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:33 pm Post subject:
'Vegerot'...like What the fuck?

That is just plain unforgivable, and it's such an unreasonable change.

*sigh, disappointed, however I will get this last volume to complete my collection.
*Bites tongue*

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed May 24, 2006 7:44 pm

Duo wrote:You sound like someone who works for Viz or something - or am I just crazy?
Because I'm defending the "Djinn" thing? No, I don't work for them at all. I figure they'd rather hire translators that are fluent in English. ^^;
Heck, if I had to translate the series, I think there's a good chance I'd keep "Majin-Boo" just because that's how it's spelled on official Japanese merchandise... ^^;

But if I wanted to translate "Majin"... I guess I'd probably choose "Djinn", just like they did.
I was referring to Aladdin's djinn-in-a-lamp earlier... Did you know that he's often called a "majin", in Japanese?

Snail

Post by Snail » Wed May 24, 2006 8:03 pm

I'd just like to add that, I actully do respect the ones who made it possible for there to be an english translated Dragonball manga. Despite it's many or few mistakes, or 'creative' changes, Viz has succeeded in completing it's Dragonball manga run.

But still...the name Vegerot is going to bother me to no end.