DBZ vol. 26 (comments on the actual book this time)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed May 24, 2006 8:17 pm

Snail wrote:But still...the name Vegerot is going to bother me to no end.
Not me! I'm happy to announce that I have accepted and embraced the wonderful new entity that is "Vegerot!" Hell, I'm gonna make me a Vegerot avatar!

"Vegerot!" Isn't it awesome?!

P.S. (Somebody please help me.)
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed May 24, 2006 10:59 pm

Ma-jin literally translates to "demon person" or "magic person", but can be used to delegate genie/djinn. So it technically is a correct translation, but I don't support it. I dislike them translating character names. That's like if they started calling the character of Gohan "Meal" all the time, or each of the Ginyu Tokusentai by their actual product names ("Yogurt!" "Butter!" "Cheese!" "Creeeeeeaaaam!" "Milk!" "We are... the Milk Squad!")
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed May 24, 2006 11:11 pm

Duo wrote:You sound like someone who works for Viz or something - or am I just crazy?
You're just crazy ;p

Olivier has been a member at GameFAQs for quite a while, and I believe I remember reading his translations and so forth on the Metal Gear Solid forums (though I may be mistaken) a few years back. He seemed like a cool dude, and my impression has changed little from his posts here. He's a definite plus to this community, trust me ;)

-Corey

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed May 24, 2006 11:44 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Duo wrote:what's this nonsense about saying I don't spell his name "Boo"? I always spell his name that way.
Please calm down. I wasn't talking about you specifically. ^^;
Quite a few people around here (including the webmasters, I believe) spell the name "Buu"... Like, well, in this very topic, for example. And I was wondering why, that's all.
Well for me personally, I just spell it "Buu" out of habit more than anything else. I've been spelling it that way for years so....heck it was hard enough for me to get out of the "Vejita" habit. XD
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Wed May 24, 2006 11:46 pm

Vegerot sounds retarded for me, but at the same time, I clap for Viz, because now kids who don't understand the differences in Japanese pronounciation can actually understand how his name is a combination of Vegeta and Kakarot. I'll still call him Vegetto, but the name change isn't THAT bad.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed May 24, 2006 11:53 pm

The S wrote:I dislike them translating character names.
Yeah, but while it's true that they keep referring to him as "Majin-Boo", I believe it's pretty clear that the "majin" isn't really part of his name: it's his nature. Sooo...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 25, 2006 2:35 am

The added "r" squicks me somehow. "Vegerot"..
I could accept Vejit, having seen it in the oldest of summaries/scans, but...I don't know it just rubs me wrong.

Vejitto/Vegetto/Vegito all the way. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Swift
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swift » Thu May 25, 2006 5:42 am

I completely agree with Duo, and think this wasn't a bad decision of Viz's part.

If they had spelled it "Vegetto", it would have made no sense to people who aren't "in-the-know" about DBZ and the Japanese names/romanization. If they did Veget/Vegitt, that wouldn't make sense either. It'd just be taking a letter off of Vegeta, not adding anything to it. n order for it to make logical sense to viewers unfamiliar with Dragonball and/or the original japanese version, they had to make it fit with their spelling of Kakar(r?)ot and Vegeta, so I don't see a problem with them choosing "Vegerot".

I actually expected Funimation to do something like that before they aired the Buu saga and I was surprised they bizzarely used "Vejito", not even "Vegetto" (there is no "i" in Kakarrot, Vegeta, or Goku o_O). Personally I think Viz made the best choice, considering they had already backed themselves into a corner by using "Kakar(r)ot" at the beggining and not "Kakar(r)otto" (though I do prefer the spelling Kakarrot).

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu May 25, 2006 12:39 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
The S wrote:I dislike them translating character names.
Yeah, but while it's true that they keep referring to him as "Majin-Boo", I believe it's pretty clear that the "majin" isn't really part of his name: it's his nature. Sooo...
Well, it is a proper title, so it works the same way.

Viz is really being strange. Just when they seemed like they were actually trying to do their manga right, they do things like questionable censoring and offer up handfuls of brand new and poorly translated names for characters (Pocus and Crone as examples, respectively).
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu May 25, 2006 1:43 pm

Who did VIZ call Crone?
And by the way, I don't think it's fair for people to say things like "I hate VIZ for..." or "VIZ sucks for..." since it's the translator/English adaptor who makes the changes, not the company itself. No reason to blame the whole company for the flop that is Naruto, for example :P

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Thu May 25, 2006 3:30 pm

Wouldn't Vegetarot be a better name? it rolls off the tongue better. Or how about Vegetu or Vegeku?

Would anyone be pissed if they had called him Gogeta? The manga isn't connected with the movies, so it could have been used.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu May 25, 2006 5:11 pm

Swift wrote:I completely agree with Duo, and think this wasn't a bad decision of Viz's part.

If they had spelled it "Vegetto", it would have made no sense to people who aren't "in-the-know" about DBZ and the Japanese names/romanization. If they did Veget/Vegitt, that wouldn't make sense either. It'd just be taking a letter off of Vegeta, not adding anything to it. n order for it to make logical sense to viewers unfamiliar with Dragonball and/or the original japanese version, they had to make it fit with their spelling of Kakar(r?)ot and Vegeta, so I don't see a problem with them choosing "Vegerot".

I actually expected Funimation to do something like that before they aired the Buu saga and I was surprised they bizzarely used "Vejito", not even "Vegetto" (there is no "i" in Kakarrot, Vegeta, or Goku o_O). Personally I think Viz made the best choice, considering they had already backed themselves into a corner by using "Kakar(r)ot" at the beggining and not "Kakar(r)otto" (though I do prefer the spelling Kakarrot).
Very well put.

Oh, and Viz spelled it "Kakarrot" - just to confirm for ya.
The S wrote: Viz is really being strange. Just when they seemed like they were actually trying to do their manga right, they do things like questionable censoring and offer up handfuls of brand new and poorly translated names for characters (Pocus and Crone as examples, respectively).
I always wondered about Pocus...anyone know what his Japanese name translates to? (Pun-wise)

I had no idea about Crone - I thought the only name changes in Dragon Ball were the RRA in Muscle Tower. Full Metal Jacket...The Jiggler...buh...
Chibi wrote:And by the way, I don't think it's fair for people to say things like "I hate VIZ for..." or "VIZ sucks for..." since it's the translator/English adaptor who makes the changes, not the company itself. No reason to blame the whole company for the flop that is Naruto, for example Razz
Muchos agreed! It has really gotten on my nerves the way people hate on Viz needlessly. Even with Dragon Ball, they kept the Dialogue almost, if not completely intact for the entire run. A couple name changes are a hassle, yes, but no reason to hate them.

I feel alone in the fact that I enjoyed the Viz Naruto Manga - but it's probably because I never read or saw anything else and have yet to bother exposing myself to the proper translations, since it will make me hate it. This is also why I never discuss Naruto online (nor is it interesting enough to me anyway...)
Kula wrote: Would anyone be pissed if they had called him Gogeta? The manga isn't connected with the movies, so it could have been used.
I pondered that about a month ago. My conclusion is that yes - I would be pissed. Too much confusion would spawn from it and lead to a lot of dealings I'd rather avoid.

the1payday
Beyond Newbie

Post by the1payday » Thu May 25, 2006 7:03 pm

I have a quick question for anyone who actually owns the Viz volume 26...what's the name of the book? Don't say "Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 26," I mean whats the bolded subheading on the back cover?

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Thu May 25, 2006 7:57 pm

The Volume name is "Goodbye, Dragon World".

I got it today. It wasn't bad at all. I sorta compared it to my Kanzenban 34, and it seemed Toriyama added a few more panels to Boo's death.

Also, the thing besides the "Vegerot" issue that I wasn't happy about, per-say, was Goku's usage of "poopy-pants" to Oob.

EDIT: End's up later is now, so here are the scans.

DBZ Vol. 26, or Tankobon 42 Boo's death:

Kanzenban 34 Boo's Death:
Image Image

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu May 25, 2006 10:14 pm

The S wrote:Well, it is a proper title, so it works the same way.
You mean, like "Kaiô" and co.? I don't know... I mean, it's definitely not a word that was made up by Toriyama, for one thing. And when Goten and Trunks hear it, they get excited... which tells me that even in the Dragon World, it's more of a "common word" that anyone can understand, not really a "proper title" given to specific outer space creatures they wouldn't know about.
You don't have a problem with Babidi not being a "madôshi" anymore in English, for example, do you? I'd say it's the same deal. Same thing for, say, "jinzô ningen". Why keep it in Japanese?

Really, the only detail that would make me hesitate is the fact that the character is constantly referred to as "Majin-Boo", even in the Engrish text on official Japanese merchandise. That does seem to imply that "majin" should be considered a part of the name... And I guess that would be enough for me to keep it untranslated, but then again, I'm just a sucker for official romanizations, so...

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu May 25, 2006 10:33 pm

Woah :shock:! I didn't know that Toriyama remade that last part for the kanzenban, too! That's just another reason for me to buy the final kanzenban :D.

Of course, I'll buy the Viz release to complete my spine image (as previously mentioned), but also to compare to my JP tankoubon and (let's hope) the JP kanzenban. YAY!

EDIT: I'm kinda surprised the VegettoEX didn't mention anything about these new images, but does a whole section on the redone ending chapter. ::sigh:: we always overlook what's not done in color :(...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Fri May 26, 2006 4:58 am

I posted it already in the topic about the Kanzenban edits, but it's not that Toriyama really added stuff for the Kanzenban. The extra panels in the Kanzenban are drawn in the same style as the rest of the chapter, which leads me to think the Kanzenban chapter was the original chapter, Toriyama just had to cut panels away to lose a page. Look at the Gokuu giving the thumbs up for example, clearly Toriyama just cut most of the panel away, and the original is the Kanzenban image.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri May 26, 2006 6:29 am

I'm not so sure about that (even if I must admit the Gokû panel you're talking about has me thinking, but I don't think it really proves anything)...
Why would they cut a couple of pages to begin with, for one thing?

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Fri May 26, 2006 6:33 am

One page too many. Toriyama can use only so many pages in Jump, so if he has too much, they have to cut stuff away.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri May 26, 2006 8:12 am

I really doubt Weekly Jump would have a problem with having two (it is two, isn't it?) extra pages of "Dragon Ball"... Especially when the last episodes of the series were already shorter than usual anyway (Toriyama and Togashi sure got away with a lot of things, in this magazine... I guess it pays to be successful).