"Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans (not really)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
floofychan333
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1374
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:03 pm
Location: Edmonton, Canada

"Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans (not really)

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:31 pm

I remember the Speedy dub calls Saiyans the "Saiya People," which is in fact an actual translation from "Saiya-jin." Also, "Saiya" is actually pronounced correctly (Sigh-a) instead of "say-an." If Saiyan was pronounced "Sigh-an" I think it would be more accurate but "Saiya People" is still more accurate. I guess people make fun of "saiya people" because they butcher the grammar by calling individuals "saiya people," example "Kakarod, you are a saiya people!" or "I am duh Saiya People!" If they'd said "I am a Saiya person" there wouldn't be anything wrong with it.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6125
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Saiya people is like saying "America People" instead of "Americans".

"Say-an" is just a mispronunciation, but has the proper syntax.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10278
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:37 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I remember the Speedy dub calls Saiyans the "Saiya People," which is in fact an actual translation from "Saiya-jin." Also, "Saiya" is actually pronounced correctly (Sigh-a) instead of "say-an." If Saiyan was pronounced "Sigh-an" I think it would be more accurate but "Saiya People" is still more accurate. I guess people make fun of "saiya people" because they butcher the grammar by calling individuals "saiya people," example "Kakarod, you are a saiya people!" or "I am duh Saiya People!" If they'd said "I am a Saiya person" there wouldn't be anything wrong with it.
In Japanese, "American" is アメリカ人, which is "Amerika-jin." "Saiya-jin" similarly becomes "Saiyan" when put into English. It's the same reason we don't use "Russia People, Egypt People," etc.

"Saiya people" is a perfect example of a literal translation that is better suited by adaptation rather than a direct shift into another language.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:37 am

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Except, while I might use the exact same grammar and call myself a アメリカ人 in Japanese, it would be very strange to tell some one I'm an "America Person". "Saiyan" is a more natural sounding made up term than the other made up term "Saiya person". And is is pronounced right in some circles (like here).
EDIT: lol two people used the exact same example as me before I could even type it. Another example is: If you are committed to such literallism, you should also be saying "Demon Person Boo".

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by Cetra » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Either you just say Saiyajin or Saiyan. Just because I am a doitsujin does not mean I say I am a "Germany person".
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:52 pm
Contact:

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by nite_jay » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:04 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:Except, while I might use the exact same grammar and call myself a アメリカ人 in Japanese, it would be very strange to tell some one I'm an "America Person". "Saiyan" is a more natural sounding made up term than the other made up term "Saiya person". And is is pronounced right in some circles (like here).
EDIT: lol two people used the exact same example as me before I could even type it. Another example is: If you are committed to such literallism, you should also be saying "Demon Person Boo".
I always thought a funny way of localizing "Demon Person Boo" could be "Deman Boo". Because Demon+Man hehehe...

User avatar
RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:37 am

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:14 pm

nite_jay wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:Except, while I might use the exact same grammar and call myself a アメリカ人 in Japanese, it would be very strange to tell some one I'm an "America Person". "Saiyan" is a more natural sounding made up term than the other made up term "Saiya person". And is is pronounced right in some circles (like here).
EDIT: lol two people used the exact same example as me before I could even type it. Another example is: If you are committed to such literallism, you should also be saying "Demon Person Boo".
I always thought a funny way of localizing "Demon Person Boo" could be "Deman Boo". Because Demon+Man hehehe...
I prefer "Ma' Man Boo".

User avatar
successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by successoroffate » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:15 pm

Funny or not, I think OP is right, Saiya People is more accurate than Saiyans. I'm glad the LatinAmerican version stayed with Saiyajin and not "Saiyanos"
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6125
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:17 pm

successoroffate wrote:Funny or not, I think OP is right, Saiya People is more accurate than Saiyans."
It's really not though. Saiyan is perfectly valid, and even used in Japanese (Saiyan Blood). "Saiya People" is broken English.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Anime Kitten
I Live Here
Posts: 4260
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:18 pm

Not totally relevant, but...

What's wrong with "Say-yan"? I don't understand how "Sigh-yan" is so much better. I've noticed most of the original (Japanese) voices pronounce it "Say" instead of "Sigh".
MyAnimeList | Naruto Forums
Discord: Nagareboshi#5185

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10278
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Not totally relevant, but...

What's wrong with "Say-yan"? I don't understand how "Sigh-yan" is so much better. I've noticed most of the original (Japanese) voices pronounce it "Say" instead of "Sigh".
No, they don't.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
Anime Kitten
I Live Here
Posts: 4260
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:No, they don't.
Well, maybe I have hearing issues then. I thought it was pretty clear that quite a few pronounce it like that (perhaps a mixture of them?).
MyAnimeList | Naruto Forums
Discord: Nagareboshi#5185

User avatar
successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by successoroffate » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
successoroffate wrote:Funny or not, I think OP is right, Saiya People is more accurate than Saiyans."
It's really not though. Saiyan is perfectly valid, and even used in Japanese (Saiyan Blood). "Saiya People" is broken English.
Like I said, Saiya People is extremely hilarious but doesn't make it any less accurate or less valid when compared with Saiyan.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10278
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:32 pm

successoroffate wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
successoroffate wrote:Funny or not, I think OP is right, Saiya People is more accurate than Saiyans."
It's really not though. Saiyan is perfectly valid, and even used in Japanese (Saiyan Blood). "Saiya People" is broken English.
Like I said, Saiya People is extremely hilarious but doesn't make it any less accurate or less valid when compared with Saiyan.
It mean, it's the equivalent of throwing a Japanese book into Google translate, and treating the result as "accurate." Sure, the words are right, but would you really consider that an "accurate" translation?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by successoroffate » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:41 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
successoroffate wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: It's really not though. Saiyan is perfectly valid, and even used in Japanese (Saiyan Blood). "Saiya People" is broken English.
Like I said, Saiya People is extremely hilarious but doesn't make it any less accurate or less valid when compared with Saiyan.
It mean, it's the equivalent of throwing a Japanese book into Google translate, and treating the result as "accurate." Sure, the words are right, but would you really consider that an "accurate" translation?
Take the Malaysian dub for example. It is difficult to not see the dub as a whole mess of Broken English, I agree. But just the plain meaning of the words seems accurate. If it was a case of a recognized well done dub which decided to call them "Saiya People" during the whole show but the rest of the dub would have no errors or no Broken English, then I would say "They get a pass" cause it's "Technically" accurate. But you're right, looking at the whole picture of the Malaysian dub, may not help my case of saying it's accurate.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by Cetra » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:42 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:No, they don't.
Well, maybe I have hearing issues then. I thought it was pretty clear that quite a few pronounce it like that (perhaps a mixture of them?).
Well, despite him saying "no" I do understand how you get that feeling. It is very often in all languages the case that you can hear some sort of mixed sound that is not exactly what you expect. Still "ai" is totally normal in Japanese to be pronounced like the English "eye", even if you sometimes might hear or think to hear something else - which also is normal. Not everyone pronounces perfectly identical.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
MetaMoss
Regular
Posts: 551
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:08 pm

I don't see how "Saiya People" is any more accurate than "Saiyans", as the two convey the exact same idea: the people of Saiya.
Anime Kitten wrote:What's wrong with "Say-yan"? I don't understand how "Sigh-yan" is so much better.
Consistency's sake, mostly. The Japanese pronounced the "Sai" as "sigh", so it really was an unnecessary change on Funimation's part. Same issue occurred with the Kaio-ken (even though Kaio was never called King Kay), which was corrected in the Kai dub, funnily enough.
Anime Kitten wrote:I've noticed most of the original (Japanese) voices pronounce it "Say" instead of "Sigh".
Do you have any particular examples of this? The only instance I can think of somebody on the Japanese side of things using Saiyan was with Saiyan Blood, which had Ryo Horikawa pronouncing it "Sigh-yan".
Do me a favor and just pretend there's something cool or witty or profound down here.

User avatar
RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:37 am

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:17 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Do you have any particular examples of this? The only instance I can think of somebody on the Japanese side of things using Saiyan was with Saiyan Blood, which had Ryo Horikawa pronouncing it "Sigh-yan".
Yoka Yoka Dance also uses Saiyan.

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:20 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Not totally relevant, but...

What's wrong with "Say-yan"? I don't understand how "Sigh-yan" is so much better. I've noticed most of the original (Japanese) voices pronounce it "Say" instead of "Sigh".
Can you give me an example? I've never heard them say it like that. It's always Sigh-ya-jin. Maybe Sigh-ya or Sigh-yan (song) but never Say-en. Also the reason it's kinda inaccurate to say Say-en is because the whole pun intended is lost in the process. Saiyajin is a pun off of Yasai which mean Vegetable in Japanese.

User avatar
RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:37 am

Re: "Saiya People" is actually more accurate than Saiyans.

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:23 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote:Not totally relevant, but...

What's wrong with "Say-yan"? I don't understand how "Sigh-yan" is so much better. I've noticed most of the original (Japanese) voices pronounce it "Say" instead of "Sigh".
Can you give me an example? I've never heard them say it like that. It's always Sigh-ya-jin. Maybe Sigh-ya or Sigh-yan (song) but never Say-en. Also the reason it's kinda inaccurate to say Say-en is because the whole pun intended is lost in the process. Saiyajin is a pun off of Yasai which mean Vegetable in Japanese.
To be fair, the pun is lost anyway. You'd have to do something like "Vegetians".

Post Reply